Door Lock Actuator Replacement (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE: Front Passenger actuator DID NOT fit the rear hatch. I guess it's a completely separate part. Not able to find it on rock auto so having to order through the dealer, unfortunately.
Really??? Did it not bolt up properly or what? I swear that it says in this thread that it is Front Passenger? Maybe year specific?

If you are so inclined, here is splitting the case to replace the motor.

Really??? Did it not bolt up properly or what? I swear that it says in this thread that it is Front Passenger? Maybe year specific?

If you are so inclined, here is splitting the case to replace the motor.

Yup, I read through that thread as well...maybe it's year specific idk, but the bolt pattern didn't match up and the actuator itself was completely different. Ended up special ordering the actuator from the dealer should have it today or tomorrow and I'll update on the difference then...unfortunately rock auto didn't have that one for sale.

Post up some pics of the mismatched ones when you get a chance.
IMG_4094.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg
IMG_4098.jpg

First picture is the old actuator from the rear hatch, second picture is the new actuator I bought that was for the front passenger door, third picture is showing the comparison in the bolt pattern between the front passenger door actuator and the rear hatch...no way it could have fit.

Again, maybe they're interchangeable between the two in a different model year? not sure, but on my 2000 Toyota LC that was not the case.

In other news I got the truck back and all the actuators are now working great 4x AISEN and 1x OEM

Thanks again everyone for the contributions to this thread!

Soooo wait... you purchased the WHOLE assembly, not just the motor actuator assembly (black plastic part that is screwed to metal)?
If so, there is your problem, everyone is talking about the MOTOR assembly being compatible NOT the entire lock assembly.

Soooo wait... you purchased the WHOLE assembly, not just the motor actuator assembly (black plastic part that is screwed to metal)?
If so, there is your problem, everyone is talking about the MOTOR assembly being compatible NOT the entire lock assembly.

Right, from what I saw that was the only way that rock auto or anybody else for that matter was selling them. I wasn't able to find just the actuator itself that's why I ended up going with the entire assembly. That makes total sense then lol Thanks for correcting me!

Right, from what I saw that was the only way that rock auto or anybody else for that matter was selling them. I wasn't able to find just the actuator itself that's why I ended up going with the entire assembly. That makes total sense then lol Thanks for correcting me!
You can split open that actuator assembly, swap out the motor, and epoxy the actuator back together. That's how everyone is repairing these for ~$2 instead of however many hundred Toyota wants for the actuators.

You can split open that actuator assembly, swap out the motor, and epoxy the actuator back together. That's how everyone is repairing these for ~$2 instead of however many hundred Toyota wants for the actuators.

Right, but I didn't want to go through the splitting process because I wasn't home where I had tools etc. so I had to take it to a shop out of state to get it done and this was the cheapest possible route. That's why I ordered the actuators.

Can you please post link to the $2 motor? Thanks in advance.
It looks more like five bucks these days. See this thread though, for a couple of links. I think you really just need to know what the one that you're looking for looks like, since there are a bunch of similar ones. The rear hatch motor that I replaced needed the little brass key on the shaft, as shown in these links. It wasn't on the one that I bought, so I had to pull it off the old motor and solder it onto the new one. So I would make sure that's in the picture of the one you get, assuming it's the same as the hatch on my '99 LC.

It looks more like five bucks these days. See this thread though, for a couple of links. I think you really just need to know what the one that you're looking for looks like, since there are a bunch of similar ones. The rear hatch motor that I replaced needed the little brass key on the shaft, as shown in these links. It wasn't on the one that I bought, so I had to pull it off the old motor and solder it onto the new one. So I would make sure that's in the picture of the one you get, assuming it's the same as the hatch on my '99 LC.

I know which one I need. Just trying to find the $2 ones. When did you get them for $2?

I know which one I need. Just trying to find the $2 ones. When did you get them for $2?
September? October?
I don't know how much I paid though, either. Maybe five bucks each? And like I said, I wouldn't buy the same ones again, since mine didn't have that brass key. That's what I was trying to get across, so people don't have to solder it onto the new motor like I did. You're way more motivated than I to find a deal, but maybe it's out there! Try Alibaba maybe?

Last edited:
I paid about $20 for 4 motors from eBay, here is the link I used. It seems like the price went up slightly.

Also, I just recently replaced my rear passenger door motor since it started to not lock once it started to get "hot" here in SoCal. Here is another video I made showing some of the tools to take apart the motor housing.

If you can change your oil, you can swap out these motors!

September? October?
I don't know how much I paid though, either. Maybe five bucks each? And like I said, I wouldn't buy the same ones again, since mine didn't have that brass key. That's what I was trying to get across, so people don't have to solder it onto the new motor like I did. You're way more motivated than I to find a deal, but maybe it's out there! Try Alibaba maybe?

I paid $5 each in the past and I need more. If they are available for $2 each, why not?

I paid $5 each in the past and I need more. If they are available for $2 each, why not?
I haven't been able to find them for the fabled $2... I did the same things as @robgv and purchased the 4 motors for $20 from ebay. Got them nice and quick too. Now I have extras for when the rest of the doors fail.

Just replaced my motors today. Tested it out with only zip ties holding the assembly closed and it worked surprisingly well. Figured I wanted some way to easily get everything back apart at a later date if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom