Door Lock Actuator Replacement (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to this guide, I successfully fixed my driver front door lock actuator. Key tips from this group that worked wonderfully:
  1. Plastic Guide: Drill panel screw into plastic pin on the right side, apply heat to that pin on the backside, then use a plastic pry bar. Came off perfectly. The left side popped right out without issue.
  2. Yellow plastic: That was stuck like a m'fer. As recommended, I removed the 2 bolts holding the door handle, popped the door handle out slightly, and then I was able to get a needle nose pliers on the yellow plastic and get it to rotate off the shaft.
  3. White plastic: Rotating it was easy. Popping the metal rod off of it was tough. Had to get a screwdriver and a hammer and tapped directly on the rod, and it finally popped off.
Question: After putting the panel back on, the 2 plastic caps that go on the bolts that match the color of the door panel, they don't stick to the bolts. Looked at the screws and caps on the passenger door and they look identical. ??

Thanks to this guide, I successfully fixed my driver front door lock actuator. Key tips from this group that worked wonderfully:
  1. Plastic Guide: Drill panel screw into plastic pin on the right side, apply heat to that pin on the backside, then use a plastic pry bar. Came off perfectly. The left side popped right out without issue.
  2. Yellow plastic: That was stuck like a m'fer. As recommended, I removed the 2 bolts holding the door handle, popped the door handle out slightly, and then I was able to get a needle nose pliers on the yellow plastic and get it to rotate off the shaft.
  3. White plastic: Rotating it was easy. Popping the metal rod off of it was tough. Had to get a screwdriver and a hammer and tapped directly on the rod, and it finally popped off.
Question: After putting the panel back on, the 2 plastic caps that go on the bolts that match the color of the door panel, they don't stick to the bolts. Looked at the screws and caps on the passenger door and they look identical. ??
They should just pop on. Sometimes if they are worn they won't want to stay but ultimately should just pop on.

Back the screws out a half turn or so and they will go on. Keep adjusting if necessary.

Try the local Autoparts store. I believe they sell generic replacement pieces like this. May not be perfect, but should at least help you get going for now while you wait for OEM replacement.
Weeeeeell now I've got a bigger problem. Got a generic replacement from the auto parts store, it didn't fit perfect but seemed fine, installed and tested several times and it worked with no issues. Put the door panel back on and buttoned it all up and now the door won't open from the inside or the outside. Guessing the rod fell off since it wasn't the right size? An ideas how to get the door open if neither the inside nor the outside handles work and the panel is on so I can't get to the mechanism?

Weeeeeell now I've got a bigger problem. Got a generic replacement from the auto parts store, it didn't fit perfect but seemed fine, installed and tested several times and it worked with no issues. Put the door panel back on and buttoned it all up and now the door won't open from the inside or the outside. Guessing the rod fell off since it wasn't the right size? An ideas how to get the door open if neither the inside nor the outside handles work and the panel is on so I can't get to the mechanism?

The rod is for opening the door from outside. Open from inside is cable driven. Is this a rear door? Is Child Lock on?

Before I dive in and start replacing actuator motors, I'm finding that all of my actuators consistently work when unlocking. If I hit the unlock button on either door control, all doors quickly unlock. But when I hit the buttons to lock doors, I only hear a clicking sound behind the dash.

I wonder if someone may have disconnected or disabled the locking action to keep from accidentally being locked out.

Just checking to see if anyone has seen this type of symptom where the doors all perfectly unlock but refuse to lock without manual intervention?

Before I dive in and start replacing actuator motors, I'm finding that all of my actuators consistently work when unlocking. If I hit the unlock button on either door control, all doors quickly unlock. But when I hit the buttons to lock doors, I only hear a clicking sound behind the dash.

I wonder if someone may have disconnected or disabled the locking action to keep from accidentally being locked out.

Just checking to see if anyone has seen this type of symptom where the doors all perfectly unlock but refuse to lock without manual intervention?
On my '99 LC, if a door is ajar then it acts exactly as you describe. It will unlock but not not lock. Maybe there's something going on with a door switch or that circuit?

On my '99 LC, if a door is ajar then it acts exactly as you describe. It will unlock but not not lock. Maybe there's something going on with a door switch or that circuit?

Thank you. That gives me a good place to start looking. It feels like something simple like that. I wonder if TechStream would point to a door ajar condition?

Try the opposite. Leave them unlocked for a while, lock them, and see if they will then unlock again. My motors only had enough in them to do one action, lock or unlock, and then had to rest before they would cycle again.

Try the opposite. Leave them unlocked for a while, lock them, and see if they will then unlock again. My motors only had enough in them to do one action, lock or unlock, and then had to rest before they would cycle again.
Thank you.

Ok, so I've managed to mess something up! Working on 2002 LC, drivers door. Everything came out and apart without issue, swapped the motor out and started reassembly. Lock assemble back into place and appeared to be working. I closed the door and now can't open it. I have the exterior handle and interior panel off still, so hopefully can get it open somehow. Pushing/pulling the lock rod or cable doesn't see to do anything. I can press lock/unlock button on door and remote and hear the motor run and some movement. Pulling the interior door handle doesn't open the door though. I see others have similar issue with back door, but nothing about the front. Suggestions?

Ok, so I've managed to mess something up! Working on 2002 LC, drivers door. Everything came out and apart without issue, swapped the motor out and started reassembly. Lock assemble back into place and appeared to be working. I closed the door and now can't open it. I have the exterior handle and interior panel off still, so hopefully can get it open somehow. Pushing/pulling the lock rod or cable doesn't see to do anything. I can press lock/unlock button on door and remote and hear the motor run and some movement. Pulling the interior door handle doesn't open the door though. I see others have similar issue with back door, but nothing about the front. Suggestions?
Watch this video I put together, I’m not sure if this works for the front door, but I had a similar issue with my rear doors where I couldn’t open the door with interior or exterior door handles upon re-assembly.

So i think i finally solved my door lock problems. I used the cheap Amazon camry actuators but was still having problems when subjected to high heat from the sun. I finally did all my locks this summer and installed Reflective radiant barrier between the door and lock assembly on all doors. I know can leave it in the sun and the locks work every time.

20210725_182335-02.jpeg

5 of these:

I used them for my 2002 LX470. Or just take clayinho's advise to check the rear hatch. It's really easy to get at.

So all doors and hatch have the same motor?

I think I have a new issue! Read this entire thing more than twice now...

I'm on the 3rd of five actuator replacements, starting from the back. 2000 LC. This is passenger rear. I'm doing this work to address standard issue actuator weakness when hot.

When I first reinstall my assembly, I can manually manipulate the cables and everything is groovy. Once I install the assembly and activate the actuator, the white plastic flippy bit driven by the actuator (circled in blue) gets stuck such that the cable is unable to move it. When I disassemble everything, the white flippy bit driven by the actuator is stuck and takes a little push to get unstuck. It seems to be stuck internally, or maybe on the outside of the clamshell. Manipulating it manually I'm not able to make it stick. Maybe the actuator is overdriving it? Maybe a little glue seeped down there?

I also noted when I fist opened this one up that the part of the white flippy bit that drives the lock looks a little deformed.

So I'm going back in the clamshell to see if anything is katywampus or can be aligned better. Here are my questions:
Anyone solved this issue?
Anything to look for while the clamshell is open to ensure alignment?
Can I remove and reinstall the white flippy bit, maybe with some lithium under it?
There seems to be a tiny black circular strip of something under the flippy bit, circled in orange. That seems to be the are that gets stuck.

Thanks mud.

InkedInkedPXL_20210924_001622163_LI.jpg

So i think i finally solved my door lock problems. I used the cheap Amazon camry actuators but was still having problems when subjected to high heat from the sun. I finally did all my locks this summer and installed Reflective radiant barrier between the door and lock assembly on all doors. I know can leave it in the sun and the locks work every time.

View attachment 2783248

Genius. My driver side actuator is toast, and I have just been manually locking it for a long time until I have a reason to pull off the door panel. That being said all the rest work except when the vehicle is getting baked by Phoenix sun. I bet this could solve my issues.

How did you attach it?

m finding that all of my actuators consistently work when unlocking. If I hit the unlock button on either door control, all doors quickly unlock. But when I hit the buttons to lock doors, I only hear a clicking sound behind the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom