Door Lock Actuator Replacement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just replaced my motors today. Tested it out with only zip ties holding the assembly closed and it worked surprisingly well. Figured I wanted some way to easily get everything back apart at a later date if needed.
I zipped tie mine too, its been several months, and it is still holding fine.

I zipped tie mine too, its been several months, and it is still holding fine.
I ziptied one (drivers door) because the epoxy I had didn't seem to be setting up very quickly (15 min epoxy) and I needed the truck. That was probably like April timeframe of this year and no issues yet (knock on wood).

This thread is the best!
Taking the assembly out is a bit daunting if you're not working on cars all the time, but I managed to break nothing ... yet.
The actuator housing came apart pretty nicely after a few minutes with a heat gun (careful!).
I ordered motors here: Amazon product ASIN B01CDIFLAKThese seem to match except for the pin sticking out in the third picture.

I got those same motors and ended up returning them. I couldn't get the stock worm gear off. Hopefully you have better luck.

I will suggest though, since you have everything out, clean off the old, dried up grease around all the moving parts and re-grease them.

I had put in new motors and it was having issues locking each time. After cleaning and re-greasing everything, it works great.

I got those same motors and ended up returning them. I couldn't get the stock worm gear off. Hopefully you have better luck.

I will suggest though, since you have everything out, clean off the old, dried up grease around all the moving parts and re-grease them.

I had put in new motors and it was having issues locking each time. After cleaning and re-greasing everything, it works great.
The worm gear slid right off the old motor, and the D shaft looks the same ... we'll see. I looked at a bunch of the reviews until I found one that said it fit a 2004 LX470. Mine's a 2006.
I just got all of my lights to work yesterday (wire to headlight melted), and then the lock didn't work ... figures.

The motors came, everything is put together and works. This is awesome.
I used a couple of zip ties to put the actuator back together - not sure why that wouldn't hold.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!!!

Last edited:
Anyone ever had to source the wiring harness for the lock cylinder on the handle? Wiring on mine came off today

Any special grease for the window parts? And does anyone know what that substance is called that hold the vapor barrier (plastic sheet) in place under the door cards (panel)?

Any special grease for the window parts? And does anyone know what that substance is called that hold the vapor barrier (plastic sheet) in place under the door cards (panel)?
No idea on special grease. But you want butyl rope for the plastic sheet:

Amazon product ASIN B07CTQ67X9

Hate to be that guy, but after sifting through pages and pages on this thread, I'm still unsure if my 2001 LX470 would need the motor with/without a collar. My rear locks are heat sensitive at this point and I kind of want to replace the motors on all 5 doors so that everything is up to date.

Can anyone post a link or advise on which exact motors I should purchase for my model year?

Hate to be that guy, but after sifting through pages and pages on this thread, I'm still unsure if my 2001 LX470 would need the motor with/without a collar. My rear locks are heat sensitive at this point and I kind of want to replace the motors on all 5 doors so that everything is up to date.

Can anyone post a link or advise on which exact motors I should purchase for my model year?

5 of these:

I used them for my 2002 LX470. Or just take clayinho's advise to check the rear hatch. It's really easy to get at.

Give me an hour and I can send a photo of the motors. I just did the driver door on my 01 LX and it worked fine.

@fitzroy

F95A0A3B-8DA1-4615-9567-07E9BAA4DB0D.jpeg
B720ED7C-0039-4EB2-995E-569403225FC6.jpeg
249F4E17-2CA3-427A-882D-8C3543BBE14F.jpeg
75B2FD2B-A9D7-4DDF-AC8B-5006B485F4D6.jpeg

I was replacing the motor in my actuator last night and when I separated the rod from the door handle the plastic retainer clip either evaporated or was abducted by aliens or something. I spent an hour with a bore scope camera searching every inch of the inside of that door and can't find it anywhere. My local dealer doesn't have any and toyota is backordered. Anyone have any experience replacing these with an aftermarket? Having trouble finding anything online. I think this is the right part number: 69759-30021

I was replacing the motor in my actuator last night and when I separated the rod from the door handle the plastic retainer clip either evaporated or was abducted by aliens or something. I spent an hour with a bore scope camera searching every inch of the inside of that door and can't find it anywhere. My local dealer doesn't have any and toyota is backordered. Anyone have any experience replacing these with an aftermarket? Having trouble finding anything online. I think this is the right part number: 69759-30021
Try the local Autoparts store. I believe they sell generic replacement pieces like this. May not be perfect, but should at least help you get going for now while you wait for OEM replacement.

thanks for some valuable info and as it turns out my actuators started to give me signs of failure today (super hot day in New Orleans!) and so I am starting to gear up to do this. I have a 2000 LX470 and was wondering if anyone knows which motors are needed for this? the ones with the brass collars or the ones without? where is the latests source to order these? From reading through the 36 pages of this post it seems I should order some with the collars, but a confirmation would not hurt. Thanks in advance guys.

You have to go back a ways in the thread but I want to say the cut off was 2001 when it changed but don't quote me on that!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom