Beginner Level Trail Near Denver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Its been a week since I got the truck and I’m itching to get out. I’m admittedly a complete beginner, but I’d like to try something easy for me and my family. Does anyone have any suggestions on an easy trail near Denver? The truck is still bone-stock but something easy to get away for several hours would be amazing. Thanks!!

I can't help you with a trail suggestion, but I think it would be best to go with at least one other truck, with a seasoned person to give you pointers and spotting. Learning on your own, especially with your family in the truck, is a good way to get in trouble. Maybe look in the club section for a local group to join.

I’m not sure if this counts as a “trail” but the route to Mohawk lake trailhead is a fun / scenic path with lots of rocks. Might be a fun place to start with no risk of getting stuck or pinstriping your new truck.

As a family adventure we loved driving up to Mayflower Gulch near Copper Mountain. It's only a 2 mile dirt road up to the mine, but it's really pretty and there are a few spots that are mildly tricky. I drove a rented minivan up there, and all the Jeeps were parked at the bottom of the road walking up...

I can't help you with a trail suggestion, but I think it would be best to go with at least one other truck, with a seasoned person to give you pointers and spotting. Learning on your own, especially with your family in the truck, is a good way to get in trouble. Maybe look in the club section for a local group to join.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. I like the idea of learning from someone more experienced. I'm going to check out the club section. Thanks!

Oh man, join the rising sun on the spooky night run. It’s usually super fun and family friendly. If you think the gang is your cup of tea feel free to stick around for a while. No need to be a member to go on the run.

I’m pretty sure that I saw @mcgaskins name on the roster. The gang will make sure that you get through unscathed no doubt.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Oh man, join the rising sun on the spooky night run. It’s usually super fun and family friendly. If you think the gang is your cup of tea feel free to stick around for a while. No need to be a member to go on the run.

I’m pretty sure that I saw @mcgaskins name on the roster. The gang will make sure that you get through unscathed no doubt.

Cheers!

@use2bn83 I read the thread you posted. What does "intermediate level" mean? As I said, I'm in a stock 200 right now. Believe me, I want to get up to Slee to get some sliders installed, but I'm trying to figure out my next step (fix a dent or two then vinyl wrap, or just go right to sliders and pinstripes be damned).

1) Jones Pass: Easy! Phenomena Views! You can drive on top of the Continental Divide! Many stock cars can do it if there's no snow. The access road is on Hwy 40 that runs between I-70 and Winter Park. If you are driving from 70 to Winter Park, the road is on the south side of 40 and before the 1st switchback (on 40) going up the mountain. The trail is about an hour from Denver.

2) Cascade Creek: This easy trail will test how much you're willing to be knocked around by rocks and such. The trail entrance is on road 103 going south from Idaho Springs, west side of 103, about 10 mins from Idaho Springs. If you take this trail and go to the top, do NOT venture towards Saxon Mountain or any other way down. Return the way you came. The trail from Saxon Mountain that heads towards I-70 is meant for experts only, and if there's snow or boulders on it, there could be intense, unsafe, and painful reversing the way you came. About 45 mins from Denver.

These recommendations do not have the full route descriptions so please research fully before you depart.

There's a few more near Denver but I'll refrain because you're a beginner. Part of my hesitation to mention other 4x4 roads is there are "experts only" roads near them.

This time of year:
  • Take extra food & water, blanket(s), winter clothing, and something to keep family entertained if the rig breaks down.
  • Tools and spare tire.
  • A tank full of gas, even on an easy 4x4 road, can mean the difference between staying warm or freezing if snow comes in quickly.
  • Let someone know where you're going and that you'll check in when you return.
  • One of the best resources is (1) the book "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4x4 Drive Trails". Get the spiral-bound version as it's easier to refer to when you're on a trail than the regular paperback that keeps closing itself on every bump. And, (2) people here on this forum who've done these trails.
I'm always open for a phone call.

@RT Cruiser thank you for the recommendation!! A quick look at Jones Pass and it appears to be temporarily closed. Bummer. But Cascade Creek appears to be open!

I might need to get some recover points installed before doing these. Everyone's comments are making me second guess the truck's readiness. Maybe I'm being too hasty. Sounds like more research and maybe some smaller mods are the way to get prepped.

@RT Cruiser thank you for the recommendation!! A quick look at Jones Pass and it appears to be temporarily closed. Bummer. But Cascade Creek appears to be open! I might need to get some recover points installed before doing these. Everyone's comments are making me second guess the truck's readiness. Maybe I'm being too hasty. Sounds like more research and maybe some smaller mods are the way to get prepped.

Readiness is also about the weather, your physical and mental capacity, your expertise level, proper route planning, and sufficient supplies on-hand. There are easy 4x4 roads near Denver that you can do in a stock car/suv, but I prefer to talk by phone to make it easier. I think there are easy roads you can do now. See pm.

Last edited:

Cheers!

This is a great idea! @joltman the trail on Saturday is not difficult and stock friendly. There will be a ton of great people there who are more than happy to help with spotting and tips and tricks, and I will be there which means there will be at least 1 other 200. People like to decorate their vehicles with Halloween lights and stuff, so it's a fun and casual atmosphere.

@use2bn83 I read the thread you posted. What does "intermediate level" mean? As I said, I'm in a stock 200 right now. Believe me, I want to get up to Slee to get some sliders installed, but I'm trying to figure out my next step (fix a dent or two then vinyl wrap, or just go right to sliders and pinstripes be damned).

Stock 200 will do just fine as long as there is no ice/snow. The leader will probably call it off if there is any chance of ice.

Can’t imagine a better group run to take the truck and family on. It really is a great trail that allows you to choose your own adventure.

The RS website mentions an air-down point. Will there be anyone around to assist in the down/up for our truck? I might need to move this convo over to the RS forum :)

1) Jones Pass: Easy! Phenomena Views! You can drive on top of the Continental Divide! Many stock cars can do it if there's no snow. The access road is on Hwy 40 that runs between I-70 and Winter Park. If you are driving from 70 to Winter Park, the road is on the south side of 40 and before the 1st switchback (on 40) going up the mountain. The trail is about an hour from Denver.

Good recommendation.
Just be aware that access to Jones Pass is currently closed due to fires in the area.

The RS website mentions an air-down point. Will there be anyone around to assist in the down/up for our truck? I might need to move this convo over to the RS forum :)

There will definitely be people who lend you a hand to air up, but even if you plan to do a nice, big compressor later, I'd suggest picking up a Vaiar 88P as an emergency backup. It is a great little compressor and works perfect for a stock truck. I like putting at least one of these in each of our cars and think it's as valuable as a battery jumper pack. You can have it tomorrow via Amazon Prime:

Amazon product ASIN B005ASY23I

Hey Op,
We've all started somewhere. It's good to see you beginning. That is the important thing. I am not in Colorado, so I comment on the trails. BUT, I do have an idea.
#1) I bought a number of local trail books. I would suggest "Backcountry Adventures - Colorado" by Massey, Wilson & Titus. I have a number of these books for different states. They are great. There are maps, local history, GPS waypoints and trail ratings with descriptions. Try the easy stuff first.
#2) On Youtube, many people have posted their entire trail drive for different trails. You could watch a trail on youtube and get an idea of its difficulty. I do this when I am going to try a trail I've never been on.

Have Fun

Hey Op,
We've all started somewhere. It's good to see you beginning. That is the important thing. I am not in Colorado, so I comment on the trails. BUT, I do have an idea.
#1) I bought a number of local trail books. I would suggest "Backcountry Adventures - Colorado" by Massey, Wilson & Titus. I have a number of these books for different states. They are great. There are maps, local history, GPS waypoints and trail ratings with descriptions. Try the easy stuff first.
#2) On Youtube, many people have posted their entire trail drive for different trails. You could watch a trail on youtube and get an idea of its difficulty. I do this when I am going to try a trail I've never been on.

Have Fun

I like the YouTube idea! I've watched some more difficult trails on there. My wife thinks I'm crazy for watching, but it's a good way of knowing the trail! And I'll take a look at that book. Thanks for the recommendation!

I like the YouTube idea! I've watched some more difficult trails on there. My wife thinks I'm crazy for watching, but it's a good way of knowing the trail! And I'll take a look at that book. Thanks for the recommendation!
I can’t remember if I got mine on eBay or Amazon. I have the Colorado book. PM me and maybe I can text or photo some trails for you. If you want.

Not recommending you break the bank, but I will suggest you have basic items along to help another rig recover you. That's a couple shackles, some work gloves, a snatch strap or tow strap. Don't assume that capable rig that passes by will have any recovery gear at all, or recovery gear that you'd want to have hooked up to your pride and joy.
If you want to look at self recovery, add a shovel, a tire repair kit to go along with your shiny new compressor, and some generic traction boards. Agree on recovery points, though the forum discussion on this was the stock front are fine. Rear you can get a hitch point for $30.
Make sure you know how to lower the spare, where the stock jack is kept, and have the toolkit so you can take off the lugs.
Opinions will vary greatly (mine included) on what a 'minimum' set of required items are, but most agree on the basics.

I'd also suggest a 12 pack/case of your favorite energy bar. They're handy for snacks if you stock out on food, and they're good for a couple meals if you have to spend some time unexpectedly.

Have fun! A stock LC can go most places just fine, and certainly most any forest road type trip. If you can't air down the experience will be a bit rougher, and you do have increased risk of a flat, but you also have a stock full size spare . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom