New rear springs vs. spacers for LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Front pressure: 7.7 mpa-g
Rear pressure: 7.2 mpa-g

Looking at either replacing the factory springs in the rear, or purchasing spacers. Would spacers accomplish my goal of getting the rear pressures in spec, or should I go ahead and swap springs? And, if so, which springs should I buy? Looking at these on eBay:

Do a lil cranky cranky on the tbars 1st. With any luck both pressures may fall into spec

Do a lil cranky cranky on the tbars 1st. With any luck both pressures may fall into spec

The threads I've read on the topic suggest that cranking the torsion bars will have little effect on rear pressures. My thought was to get new springs/spacers and then adjust from thwre. Is that not correct?

Well, when both of my pressures were high, doing the hanky panky cranky routine brought both front and rear pressures down to spec. Worth a shot before dropping dough, eh?

Well, when both of my pressures were high, doing the hanky panky cranky routine brought both front and rear pressures down to spec. Worth a shot before dropping dough, eh?

Good point. I'll give it a try and report back.

At the very least king springs put me back in spec. Not to mention the rear end has a more solid truck like feel.

It doesn't have to be an either/or decision. Get the new springs and add spacers at the same time.

I'd go for king springs or spacers. New OEM might only reduce pressure a tiny bit.

A lot of this decision depends on what your plans are. If you plan to add weight in the rear, king all the way.

I'd go for king springs or spacers. New OEM might only reduce pressure a tiny bit.

A lot of this decision depends on what your plans are. If you plan to add weight in the rear, king all the way.

No plans as of today to add more weight in the way of bumpers/armor. This is my wife's dd for right now. That said, I do get concerned when we are loaded down for road trips and my pressures are already high. I'd like the AHC to last me as long as possible, and would rather not over stress it. As far as King springs go, am I on the right track with the ones I linked, or do I need to look at something heavier.

Also should mention that techstream threw a code for: abnormal oil pressure for pump. (C1762). Unsure of whether this is in reference to the hydraulic pump or not.

Crank the torsion bars up front to get it in spec. The rear will fall also. I just put new-springs from a 2005-2007 LC w/ahc on my lx and dropped the rear pressure 0.5 to be spec. The lc springs are about $120 cheaper than lx springs. Kept it stock. Toyota knows what they are doing.

Crank the torsion bars up front to get it in spec. The rear will fall also. I just put new-springs from a 2005-2007 LC w/ahc on my lx and dropped the rear pressure 0.5 to be spec. The lc springs are about $120 cheaper than lx springs. Kept it stock. Toyota knows what they are doing.

Did you have to unbolt sways, shock lower nut, etc to remove the springs?

My rear springs lasted almost 20 years and pressures were not that bad where AHC was failing and losing it's core features but it definitely was not in spec that rear felt a bit bouncy so i knew it was time for some rear springs...

once i put the rear springs I'm back at stock specs and ride feels great.

Only reason i choose springs vs. spacers is i didn't feel like spacers would have the same spring rate as stock springs, but since I'm not too versed in that area i just went with what's proven and has shown to last.

OEM all the way.

I went with King springs and really like them. Had them in for a few thousand, both highway trips and dirt. If adding more weight, consider small spacers as well. I'm putting airbags in to boot, but that's because I will be overloading significantly.

Only reason to get the Kings is for more load bearing. Usually the rear spacers are needed only after doing the AHC sensor lift, as well as torsion bar adjust. I'd flush the AHC fluid and adjust T bars and go from there. Kings are great but overboard IMO for a DD, adversely affect ride quality I'd think. We loaded up our 06 we used to have, fridge, rear cargo full, cargo carrier full on top and stock setup was fine. RTT, bumpers, drawers, etc that's a different story.

Yup.. in my case we have drawers/RTT/fridge/rock sliders. But have found even with just the drawers, 4 passengers and all our gear/water/fridge (no RTT or sliders) could result in being stuck in "L".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom