To 200 or not to 200... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gear the axles for the tires/bumper (extra aero drag is effectively like being heavier.. need lower gears) and I think the 8spd advantage goes away.

Same here, except since I got my 200, there is nowhere better to go, other than a newer 200. It slowed my rate of vehicle change down dramatically. :)
This. A good friend has seen all my car purchases over the years and liked my 200 so much she wanted to bet me 5k off market rate for the thing that I wouldn’t keep it five years. For almost any other car she would have been right. But I’ll be keeping this one well past five.

The only thing I can see replacing it with would be a 16+ for the serious upgrade in appearance.

I own a 2005 lx470 with out the extra HP boost that the 06-07’s get. I would not even consider towing anything behind my “old man” towing a 3000 lb load on a utility trailer going up any grade is total torture in the slow lane. On a 7% grade I was struggling to keep 45mph... While the 4.7 is a great motor even when the SUV is fully loaded I wouldn’t personally tow with it. I can’t say what an 06-07 is like as I never have towed with one... owned one but never towed with it.

my 2018 lx570 tows amazing! I have the pro pride hitch and a 26’ long airstream, I am completely satisfied with the tow experience the 5.7 is strong. And I can easily keep 60 mph going up a 7% grade. Brakes are good and haven’t faded on me yet. It even has more power to go faster but why??? On the flats there is plenty of power. The redarc brake controller works flawlessly. Happy guy here

4D0179E2-6F8F-43DD-A7AB-9B0C171DE039.jpeg

2016+ gets you the electronic safety features (blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert, automatic braking) which I really like. It has a sensational 360 degree camera system on a bigger screen which makes parking a breeze and is great for hooking up the trailer. It has nicer leather and a better looking front end. It has slightly bigger brakes although I don’t know that braking performance is any better. It has the 8 speed but mileage is the same. Otherwise it’s pretty much the same as 2008+.

I can’t compare to the 100 but it’s the best towing SUV I have ever driven.

I own a 2005 lx470 with out the extra HP boost that the 06-07’s get. I would not even consider towing anything behind my “old man” towing a 3000 lb load on a utility trailer going up any grade is total torture in the slow lane. On a 7% grade I was struggling to keep 45mph... While the 4.7 is a great motor even when the SUV is fully loaded I wouldn’t personally tow with it. I can’t say what an 06-07 is like as I never have towed with one... owned one but never towed with it.

my 2018 lx570 tows amazing! I have the pro pride hitch and a 26’ long airstream, I am completely satisfied with the tow experience the 5.7 is strong. And I can easily keep 60 mph going up a 7% grade. Brakes are good and haven’t faded on me yet. It even has more power to go faster but why??? On the flats there is plenty of power. The redarc brake controller works flawlessly. Happy guy here

View attachment 2294771
Beautiful truck and Airstream!

I can’t really compare due to coming from a 2006 to a 2020. I’ve only had the 200 for about two weeks. Personally and for most to me with a family in the car is safety. If the 200 can pull more and be safer towing then pull the trigger.

I am going through a similar debate now, going from a 2005 to a 2017+. I can’t tell if I just want to upgrade or if I truly believe it Will be safer for the family. I don’t do any towing but plan to do road trips from east coast Out east, only plan to do moderate trails max and also plan to keep my 100.

I am going through a similar debate now, going from a 2005 to a 2017+. I can’t tell if I just want to upgrade or if I truly believe it Will be safer for the family. I don’t do any towing but plan to do road trips from east coast Out east, only plan to do moderate trails max and also plan to keep my 100.
Yes it is safer.

Once you drive one you'll wonder what had you so attached to the 100 (as badass as the 100 is). It's night and day a better vehicle all around. I still like the look of the 100 a little more but not enough to ever get back into one over a 200.

Once you drive one you'll wonder what had you so attached to the 100 (as badass as the 100 is). It's night and day a better vehicle all around. I still like the look of the 100 a little more but not enough to ever get back into one over a 200.
You'd be surprised. My 1998 100 still works well for me in most cases, even at 405k on the clock. There's just something about that silky smooth, almost silent 4.7. The 5.7 may make better power but it is clear Toyota didn't make the investment to make it perfect like they did the 4.7. We'll see how my 5.7 is in another 15 years. I'm sure my 4.7 will still be running as well.

You'd be surprised. My 1998 100 still works well for me in most cases, even at 405k on the clock. There's just something about that silky smooth, almost silent 4.7. The 5.7 may make better power but it is clear Toyota didn't make the investment to make it perfect like they did the 4.7. We'll see how my 5.7 is in another 15 years. I'm sure my 4.7 will still be running as well.
I had a 2001 LX so I wouldn’t be too surprised. I hear what you’re saying but nothing has indicated the 5.7 won’t follow suit.

I've towed my 3500 lb Casita with a 1997 LX450, 2007 LX 470 and current 2013 LX 570.

The LX 470 is pretty painful on any steep grade, but seemed great compared to the LX 450. No comparison with the LX 570. You'll be very happy once you're off the flatlands.

That said, I can't bring myself to sell the 470 as it drives so much lighter and easier...and the interior ergonomics I consider much better...and has venting rear windows. Just lots of nice little stuff. But for towing... big V8 rules.

I've towed my 3500 lb Casita with a 1997 LX450, 2007 LX 470 and current 2013 LX 570.

The LX 470 is pretty painful on any steep grade, but seemed great compared to the LX 450. No comparison with the LX 570. You'll be very happy once you're off the flatlands.

That said, I can't bring myself to sell the 470 as it drives so much lighter and easier...and the interior ergonomics I consider much better...and has venting rear windows. Just lots of nice little stuff. But for towing... big V8 rules.

there is “something” about the 100’s. Some say seating position, some say ergonomics, but the “feel” is real.

yeah no, it won’t tow better than a 200.

Reactions: HGB

I remember when the 100 first came came out. The 4.7l was a Lexus sedan V8. When the 200 came out, I read that it had the 5.7l, a Tundra engine. Not that the latter would be lacking in sophistication. Sure has more power.

......That said, I can't bring myself to sell the 470 as it drives so much lighter and easier...and the interior ergonomics I consider much better...and has venting rear windows. Just lots of nice little stuff. But for towing... big V8 rules.

Interesting that you mention that the 470 drives so much lighter and easier. After being very familiar with the handling and driving of my ‘03 LC, I was quite surprised at the “feel” of driving the 570 when I first got it. It felt so much heavier and larger.

I’m getting more used to driving the 570 now and will eventually feel that I can throw it around a corner too. But it sure isn’t as easy to drive as the 100 series LC.

Cheers,
John

I say this all the time: the 100 series is to the W140 S-Class as the 200 is to the W221 S-class. Sure on paper a W221 is miles better than a W140 but intangibly, the W140 is legendary, far more overengineered than a W221. 100 and 200, they just feel different.

They are of different eras. The 100 was built when Lexus had to still prove themselves. Engineered at a time of the early mid 90s still of Japanese dominance. Of course a 100 series is going to feel slow towing 3500lbs today. Did it feel slow 20 years ago? No, because relatively, all the cars around it also had far less power.

I didn't like the 8 speed in my 2017. It probably needed an update, from what I hear made it feel better. Didn't tow with it so I couldn't say.

The 100 does everything the 200 did, at least for my needs, and for $60k less. The 100 feels more tractor like, yeah its slow for sure. The 200 feels more...everything has grown, the pillar size, window line, etc.

I say this all the time: the 100 series is to the W140 S-Class as the 200 is to the W221 S-class. Sure on paper a W221 is miles better than a W140 but intangibly, the W140 is legendary, far more overengineered than a W221. 100 and 200, they just feel different.

They are of different eras. The 100 was built when Lexus had to still prove themselves. Engineered at a time of the early mid 90s still of Japanese dominance. Of course a 100 series is going to feel slow towing 3500lbs today. Did it feel slow 20 years ago? No, because relatively, all the cars around it also had far less power.

I didn't like the 8 speed in my 2017. It probably needed an update, from what I hear made it feel better. Didn't tow with it so I couldn't say.

The 100 does everything the 200 did, at least for my needs, and for $60k less. The 100 feels more tractor like, yeah its slow for sure. The 200 feels more...everything has grown, the pillar size, window line, etc.
The software update made a huge difference in smoothness for the 8 speed in my 2016 LC. I love it post update.

The 100 is amazing, no doubt. I was a new cruiser entrant a couple years ago and shopped 100s vs 200s. What it came down to for me was that a 'nice' 100 was about the same $ as an older 200 (like a 2008 to 2010). Mileage and years of service were similar, but the 200 was a newer generation, with more of pretty much everything. That is more of things that aren't great, like weight and complex nanny systems, but also more power, more safety, more modernities. The difference between say a 2005 LX470 and 2009 LX570 is pretty stark.

In the end more airbags won out . . .

Absolutely right. I bought a new W140 model 500SEL in 1992. There is no comparison regarding quality of build between then and today's S-Class. I drove it for 8 years then made the mistake of replacing it with a new one. Major mistake. I'll stick with old school Mercedes every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom