To 200 or not to 200... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
community.webshots.com
Well... I'm on the 200 forum so I realize the opinion here is going to be to make the jump to 200 but there are a couple questions here.

Currently have an '04 and might end up with a 23' Airstream weighing in 4500lbs. 100 series is rated at about 6000lbs so I know it would tow it but would likely be a struggle. First decision will be to spend the $ to upgrade to the 200. Any of you gone from 100 to 200 and regretted it? Quality of the build I am used to with the 100 still the case with the 200?

If I go the route of upgrading, is there a major advantage to going to '16+ other than the 8 speed transmission? Are there major issues or advantages with '14-'15 besides the savings in cost?

Thank you!

I have an 09 LX and a 00 LC. Towing you will notice a huge difference just because of the power. It’s hard to argue that there is anything that the 200 isn’t better at than a 100. I don’t need to tell you about the reliability of either and can’t speak to the 200 series later years... so if you can afford it, why not.

here is where it gets a little tricky for me, I love the 100 - and honestly, if you have a fully sorted 100 I wouldn’t get rid of it. just add to the fleet!

I can’t really compare due to coming from a 2006 to a 2020. I’ve only had the 200 for about two weeks. Personally and for most to me with a family in the car is safety. If the 200 can pull more and be safer towing then pull the trigger.

Last edited:
I have an 09 LX and a 00 LC. Towing you will notice a huge difference just because of the power. It’s hard to argue that there is anything that the 200 isn’t better at than a 100. I don’t need to tell you about the reliability of either and can’t speak to the 200 series later years... so if you can afford it, why not.

here is where it gets a little tricky for me, I love the 100 - and honestly, if you have a fully sorted 100 I wouldn’t get rid of it. just add to the fleet!

Well... I just added another motorcycle to the stable so I think another Cruiser might make me less popular.

That and selling the 100 world certainly help offset the spending of $40-50+k on a 200. Lol

Here's my previous '06 100-series on 33s towing what I believe you'd like to tow. Airstream 23D.

She'll do the job and have good stability. As you have an '04, you wont' have the benefit of VVTi which is a significant boost. Grades will be labored in the slow lane. Passing...probably not.

1588487936157.png

I specifically upgraded to a 200-series as I knew I was going to get a larger widebody Airstream. There's really no comparison when it comes to towing. The 5.7L in the 200-series is a brute with power to spare. I'd highly encourage you to step into a 200-series. Even the earliest 08 models are solid and will tow well. The 16+ with 8-speeds do have a wider spread of gearing for extreme mountain grades, but I find the 6-speed fine even with my 33s and larger Airstream.

1588487911536.png

Last edited:
I've had several 80 (I put a trd supercharger on one of them), 100 and 200 series LCs. The 200 is head and shoulders better than any of them for towing. Build quality is a non issue. I can't speak to the different generations of 200, I have only owned a 2013.

You’re not going to find anyone on Mud who regretted making the move from any previous generation to a 200 for towing. But, as @fjcruising noted, you’ll find plenty like me who wished they could also keep their 100 (or 80, or 62, or 60, or 40, or etc.). Anyway, get a 200 with due diligence on the purchase, do a complete PM, and enjoy towing like never before. You’ll love it.

I think that 2016+ LC have these two things not available on earlier models other than the 8-speed:

1. Connector and sub-wiring harness that facilitate a trailer-brake controller.

2. Trailer Sway Control uses the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) to help counteract trailer sway, helping to make towing a more relaxed proposition.

One hundred and forty six horsepower more. That’s 62% more power than you have now. Let that sink in. AND, better mileage when unloaded. Not sure about when towing.

Dig hard enough and you will find people that say they miss their 100 and wish they still had it over the 200. I’ll point out that they are extremely rare, and probably don’t tow.

Not sure about sway control but my understanding is all US 200s have full trailer brake harnesses. A tiny amount never got the rear pigtail added at the port but it is easily ordered and installed.

Here's my previous '06 100-series on 33s towing what I believe you'd like to tow. Airstream 23D.

She'll do the job and have good stability. As you have an '04, you wont' have the benefit of VVTi which is a significant boost. Grades will be labored in the slow lane. Passing...probably not.

View attachment 2293619

I specifically upgraded to a 200-series as I knew I was going to get a larger widebody Airstream. There's really no comparison when it comes to towing. The 5.7L in the 200-series is a brute with power to spare. I'd highly encourage you to step into a 200-series. Even the earliest 08 models are solid and will tow well. The 16+ with 8-speeds do have a wider spread of gearing for extreme mountain grades, but I find the 6-speed fine even with my 33s and larger Airstream.

View attachment 2293618
Great feedback...thank you!

Would be towing a 23FB Airstream so it's good to know it's possible in the 100, just labored. When upgrading to a 200, I won't have to rush as the 100 will still get the job done until that happens. I am running 33s, sliders, and Dissent bumper so have a little extra weight as well.

Great looking AS you have there!

I’m wrestling with a similar issue. I bought & built a 200 to replace my 100 series. I still really love my 100 but the 200 does drive some much better. Especially if a concern of yours is towing. I’m having a hard justifying keeping both since they do pretty much the same thing I need. I considered selling my Tundra, but that comes in handy more often than not. And honestly, towing with the Tundra is even better than the 200 if you want to consider that as another option.

I think that 2016+ LC have these two things not available on earlier models other than the 8-speed:

2. Trailer Sway Control uses the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) to help counteract trailer sway, helping to make towing a more relaxed proposition.
My '13 came with the connector and harness for the controller.

I have both features on my 2013...

HTH

While I enjoy, have driven, and own/owned many generations of the the LC... the 200 is simply the largest jump in capability, out of them all. It is the unit that Toyota said, let's stop screwing around... and I say that knowing full well how substantially built and capable all of them are.

The only other thing I'll add, is that parts to service and build them, from mild to wild are... abundant!

It's interesting to see just how many folks in this sub forum have graduated and risen through the different series. Either I'm a cheap bastage or simply enjoy a good gamble, I have only purchased "high mile" cruisers in the past for the best bang for buck. Having owned a 1997 LX450 with 421k miles, a 2000 LX470 with 184k miles, and now a 2008 Land Cruiser with 202k miles, the 200 series seemed to be less of a nostalgia-based purchase and more of a logical one. The keyless entry, somewhat relevant navigation system, JBL audio, 6spd transmission, and 5.7L V8 truly modernizes the truck compared to its former brethren.

That said, I loved the refinement of the 2UZ-FE in the LX470 along with the AHC suspension. Is it enough to make me turn around and look back? Absolutely not.

Not sure how it effects towing, but the 16+ LC 200's have slightly larger brake rotors than the earlier 200's. I say this because I haven't towed with both, only with my 2017 (3,800# horse trailer - empty).

I’m wrestling with a similar issue. I bought & built a 200 to replace my 100 series. I still really love my 100 but the 200 does drive some much better. Especially if a concern of yours is towing. I’m having a hard justifying keeping both since they do pretty much the same thing I need. I considered selling my Tundra, but that comes in handy more often than not. And honestly, towing with the Tundra is even better than the 200 if you want to consider that as another option.
The 200 would certainly be getting moderately modded for wheeling...(sliders, bumpers, 2-3" suspension, 33-34" tires, etc) Since the truck would also be used for wheeling / overland, the Tundra is just too long to be capable enough for me off-road. There's also the fact that it just isn't a Cruiser. 😁

It's interesting to see just how many folks in this sub forum have graduated and risen through the different series. Either I'm a cheap bastage or simply enjoy a good gamble, I have only purchased "high mile" cruisers in the past for the best bang for buck. Having owned a 1997 LX450 with 421k miles, a 2000 LX470 with 184k miles, and now a 2008 Land Cruiser with 202k miles, the 200 series seemed to be less of a nostalgia-based purchase and more of a logical one. The keyless entry, somewhat relevant navigation system, JBL audio, 6spd transmission, and 5.7L V8 truly modernizes the truck compared to its former brethren.

That said, I loved the refinement of the 2UZ-FE in the LX470 along with the AHC suspension. Is it enough to make me turn around and look back? Absolutely not.
Gone from an '87 Xtra cab, to a few Tacoma's, a tundra, 80 series, 100 series, and looking at jumping into a 200. I think I might have a disease.

Gone from an '87 Xtra cab, to a few Tacoma's, a tundra, 80 series, 100 series, and looking at jumping into a 200. I think I might have a disease.
Same here, except since I got my 200, there is nowhere better to go, other than a newer 200. It slowed my rate of vehicle change down dramatically. :)

The 200 would certainly be getting moderately modded for wheeling...(sliders, bumpers, 2-3" suspension, 33-34" tires, etc) Since the truck would also be used for wheeling / overland, the Tundra is just too long to be capable enough for me off-road. There's also the fact that it just isn't a Cruiser. 😁

If you can/want to fork the money, a 16+ might be better if you're going to do those mods on top of towing. The gearing on the 8 speed won't make you feel like you're wanting more gearing compared to how the 6speed would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom