Steering gearbox showing its age (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So after waffling back and forth between swapping in an 80 series gearbox or sticking with my 62's stock gearbox (consensus was may as well stick with the 62 gearbox since I won't be running any bigger than 35" tires, and most likely not even any larger than 33"), unfortunately now my gearbox is worn to the point of the adjusting screw bottoming out when I adjust it. I still back it off 1/8 of a turn so it's not rubbing the sector shaft and causing damage, but I still have almost 2" of play in the steering wheel even with brand new tie rod and drag link ends installed and properly adjusted. So it looks like within the next year I'll be in it for a rebuild. I've heard mixed reviews on West Texas Offroad. Some great results, and some that had leaks form within a few months. Looking at the FSM, it looks like the variety of SSTs needed to do the job right put it out of reach for the occasional home job.

So what are my best options here? Find a reman box, or get a used one to send out for rebuild and swap it in? I can't afford the downtime to send my own out, so I need to have one that I can swap right in when I'm able.

Find a reman box, or get a used one to send out for rebuild and swap it in? I can't afford the downtime to send my own out, so I need to have one that I can swap right in when I'm
that's what i did.. good to have a spare...

Go reman or get a used one and have it rebuilt?
I had the 60 box rebuilt by WTx off road... sold it when I did frame swap.
When i went 80 chassis, it came with the 80 box (unknown history), 9 years later it started to leak, I just bought a used one... from @Deathvalleypaul at a great price.. it is going strong still, but i have the original, and plan to rebuild it me self...

Had 320,000 miles on my late 60 box. Steering was all over and it had an internal clunk. It was leaking like crazy.

Talked to a local rebuilder, he implied that because I was starting with a worn out box he may not warranty his work. Wanted $350 for that not warm and fuzzy feeling.

I went to rock auto, ordered a BBB Vision for $420 to my door with core for a 1997 80 series.

It dropped in, and really fixed a few things on my truck. Steering is spot on again, I can feel the power assist is way easier and I now have a box with a warranty and the room to grow into 105 series pitman and sector shaft later.

If you can drop in the 80 series box, you should.

2B905866-7658-49B8-85FA-3ABE40724250.jpeg

I know the 80's bolt pattern is the same as that of the later 60 series, but is it the same for that of an FJ62?
Or does that apply only to early 60 models ?

I have a good used steering box out of my '87 HJ60 available if you're interested.

Had 320,000 miles on my late 60 box. Steering was all over and it had an internal clunk. It was leaking like crazy.

Talked to a local rebuilder, he implied that because I was starting with a worn out box he may not warranty his work. Wanted $350 for that not warm and fuzzy feeling.

I went to rock auto, ordered a BBB Vision for $420 to my door with core for a 1997 80 series.

It dropped in, and really fixed a few things on my truck. Steering is spot on again, I can feel the power assist is way easier and I now have a box with a warranty and the room to grow into 105 series pitman and sector shaft later.

If you can drop in the 80 series box, you should.

View attachment 2227594
Decent amount of cash for a non OEM box. How many miles you got on it now? Starting to look like a reman'd 80 box might end up just being the simplest way to go after all. Not really worried about the "upgrade" factor at this point since I won't really take advantage of it. I just want cost effective and long lasting.

Nick @ Tor’s shop mentioned they rebuild boxes now

Nick @ Tor’s shop mentioned they rebuild boxes now
Sweet. I'll have to ask about that when I take it over for the H55F swap in April.

Decent amount of cash for a non OEM box. How many miles you got on it now? Starting to look like a reman'd 80 box might end up just being the simplest way to go after all. Not really worried about the "upgrade" factor at this point since I won't really take advantage of it. I just want cost effective and long lasting.

It’s hard for me to break away and use non oem stuff. But a new oem 80 box is $2700. Compromises can be made.

It’s hard for me to break away and use non oem stuff. But a new oem 80 box is $2700. Compromises can be made.
Yeah they're ridiculously expensive for OEM for a part like that for some reason. Even the ECU isn't that expensive last I checked.

Another happy 62 with an 80 box here. I bought mine on ebay with stated 158K miles and had seller ship direct to West Texas Offroad for a rebuild site unseen. If it comes with pitman arm you will need to swap it for the one on your 6X series. The length of the drop is different

Another happy 62 with an 80 box here. I bought mine on ebay with stated 158K miles and had seller ship direct to West Texas Offroad for a rebuild site unseen. If it comes with pitman arm you will need to swap it for the one on your 6X series. The length of the drop is different
So it looks like I'll just go with whatever box I can get the cheapest and sent it to West Texas for a rebuild. I'll keep the 80 am aside since the linkage and steering arm kit I'm planning to get from 4x4Labs uses 80 series ends. The 62 and 80 arms directly swap onto the sector shaft splines don't they?

When West Texas "rebuilds" a steering box, do they actually replace any of the metal wear parts or do they only replace the seals? Is it a "re-build" or a "re-seal?"

When West Texas "rebuilds" a steering box, do they actually replace any of the metal wear parts or do they only replace the seals? Is it a "re-build" or a "re-seal?"

they re-seal From what I understand. The other is Redhead. I’m local to the Seattle market and have 2 Friends who haveused them for re-builds with mixed results.

I have another who has a 62 with and 80 swapped box by Redhead who loves it and claims the highway speed assist on a 80 box is way better than a 60 series.

Not sure what the answer is other than high priestess and mixed results from redhead.

My personal experience with WTOR was immaculate. Super fast turn around on my box.(had to be a pre-rebuilt core). My tracking indicated it arrived and turned around next day. I think it would be hard to make that happen, as it was drilled and tapped for steering assist and painted/resealed.(I’m also not doing it for a living)

they re-seal From what I understand. The other is Redhead. I’m local to the Seattle market and have 2 Friends who haveused them for re-builds with mixed results.

I have another who has a 62 with and 80 swapped box by Redhead who loves it and claims the highway speed assist on a 80 box is way better than a 60 series.

Not sure what the answer is other than high priestess and mixed results from redhead.

My personal experience with WTOR was immaculate. Super fast turn around on my box.(had to be a pre-rebuilt core). My tracking indicated it arrived and turned around next day. I think it would be hard to make that happen, as it was drilled and tapped for steering assist and painted/resealed.(I’m also not doing it for a living)

FWIW, before I sent my steering box to WTOR, I ground a very distinctive, subtle notch on the outside of the box. The same box was returned to me.
Don’t recall turn around time, but it was very reasonable.

My rebuilt redhead box started leaking again after 18 months or so, wouldn’t really recommend going that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom