Does anybody use there 40s for daily driver? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I drive mine as often as I can, but it's not really a daily driver. My commute includes a bit at 70-75 mph which isn't much fun with 31" tires and some play in the steering. The other day it rained pretty hard while I was driving home and the windshield wipers just couldn't keep up. I had to pull over and wait 30 minutes for the rain to pass. I can't stop at a gas station without someone wanting to chat about my "jeep". As fun as my 40 is and as much joy as I get out of driving it, my Subarus are MUCH easier to drive. If I were you, I'd keep a reliable Japanese car around for commuting and for driving to the parts store.

Lot's of people here drive their 40s daily. I do when I can. Not much in the winter when it's raining, the wipers are the worst, even upgraded.

I’ve used much worse cars in the past for daily driver ....
I drive mine as often as I can, but it's not really a daily driver. My commute includes a bit at 70-75 mph which isn't much fun with 31" tires and some play in the steering. The other day it rained pretty hard while I was driving home and the windshield wipers just couldn't keep up. I had to pull over and wait 30 minutes for the rain to pass. I can't stop at a gas station without someone wanting to chat about my "jeep". As fun as my 40 is and as much joy as I get out of driving it, my Subarus are MUCH easier to drive. If I were you, I'd keep a reliable Japanese car around for commuting and for driving to the parts store.
Looking for a good subarooo Sti until that day I’m going full 40

Best of luck! My wife and I took my Outback camping this weekend. The 10 hour drive would have been much harder on us both in the 40 and would have cost maybe 3x (maybe more) as much for gas. I don't generally drive the 40 more than 2 hours from home.

So, with decent steering, a 40 will run at 70 to 75 very nicely. Mine does. Don't put up with sketchy steering.

Wipers that’s definitely something to think about ... winter? What are some of the issues of driving in winter ?This is my first land cruiser,but not my first s***y Toyota ..looking at the heating system , it doesn’t seem like it would do that great a job heating my cab and the lack of air tightness would let whatever heat escape...

i used to daily drive mine... then it started to run poorly and i couldn’t go more than 80km/hr before it started to backfire. then one day during the time i was trying to fix it it seized. that started the whole frame up build that’s taking way longer than i anticipated. i loved daily driving it and went from BC to saskatchewan with my wife when we first bought it. i plan many more road trips with it. just have to get it back on the road. also plan on going in the slow lane. smell the roses. way more fun that way. i have a picture somewhere of playing frisbee with her in the ditch somewhere randomly in the mountains. good memories!! winter was cold until i put a better rear heater in it.

i guess it all depends on how much time effort and money you want to put into it to make it fit the environment you drive it in otherwise it might not be the most comfortable. but it’ll always have style!!

So, with decent steering, a 40 will run at 70 to 75 very nicely. Mine does. Don't put up with sketchy steering.
Working on steering as we speak...75 mph? I hope...I’ve only driven her around the block and a couple hours during test drive before I bought it.im fine with slow and steady the money I save in speeding tickets will easily cover extra money spent on gas,lol

Looking for a good subarooo Sti until that day I’m going full 40
[/QU

I got one of the last 2015 Subaru Forester XT turbos, absolute blast to drive and embarrass other SUV's.

I’ve used much worse cars in the past for daily driver ....
Back in college I was in a punk band and we toured in an ancient 1 ton Dodge van with a carbureted V8. I paid $400 for that van. We drove it up and down both coasts and crossed the country numerous times. It was a terrible vehicle and it broke down constantly (and usually in an unsafe manner), but it was the bare minimum needed for a bunch of idiots with weird hair and guitars to meet girls in exciting and exotic places (dive bars). It was dangerous and fun and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything, but if you told me I had to drive that same van today I'd tell you to pound sand. Every tool has a purpose. My 40 is really good for exploring fire roads and mountain trails on a Saturday afternoon. My WRX is really good for autocross. My Outback is really good for transporting my bicycle to trail heads and daily driving. My SR5 Pickup is really good for a pickup stuff. Yes, you can daily a 40. That doesn't make it the right tool for the job.

I’ve owned many cars and trucks vans 30 + in the 24 years of driving ....including a 55 beetle and a 78 vw van slow didn’t bother me much....it helps owning a vehicle with a fan base ....people usually don’t get too aggravated If your driving something they had,have,or want to have ...lol.i find people are happier to help out when your broken...my last car was a 2010 Audi A4 it left my stranded twice in one year,nobody even noticed me.that and with theese ol trucks and cars I feel like I have the best chance of understanding and learning the machine top to bottom (thanks to the good people of ih8mud)2010 Audi A4 Jesus you would need a university degree.

My daily driver is a 2000 toyota tundra. If all you ever had was one car a truck is it. I can do anything with it. The fj40 would never handle all of the crazy stuff you get into. So out on an adventure and come across a bunch of tool and car parts that were a great deal. load it up in the truck and go.

Back in college I was in a punk band and we toured in an ancient 1 ton Dodge van with a carbureted V8. I paid $400 for that van. We drove it up and down both coasts and crossed the country numerous times. It was a terrible vehicle and it broke down constantly (and usually in an unsafe manner), but it was the bare minimum needed for a bunch of idiots with weird hair and guitars to meet girls in exciting and exotic places (dive bars). It was dangerous and fun and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything, but if you told me I had to drive that same van today I'd tell you to pound sand. Every tool has a purpose. My 40 is really good for exploring fire roads and mountain trails on a Saturday afternoon. My WRX is really good for autocross. My Outback is really good for transporting my bicycle to trail heads and daily driving. My SR5 Pickup is really good for a pickup stuff. Yes, you can daily a 40. That doesn't make it the right tool for the job.
I do plan on buying another sti in the future for longer trips and Track,I do own a bunch of motorcycles for the quick and easy ,thinking mostly around the city during the week ,to work and back ,and mountains during the weekend,I do plan on driving her all winter ,any experience with winter driving?

I daily drive my 73 with AC, 5 speed, 3FE, front disc brakes and power steering, 32" tires, It'll go 70-75 no problem. 80 is my limit, the tops of the doors start to peel out about there. Carb and points start to take away reliability unless you know how to take care of them (I found I did not).

My daily driver is a 2000 toyota tundra. If all you ever had was one car a truck is it. I can do anything with it. The fj40 would never handle all of the crazy stuff you get into. So out on an adventure and come across a bunch of tool and car parts that were a great deal. load it up in the truck and go.
I bought a 2001 tundra loved it but still to much plastic and wires,nothing really special about it ,good truck yea....but just a truck,plus when I look at my 40 it makes me happy like seeing a good buddy.....

Oh I agree my 40 is way more satisfying and fun to drive. just not as utilitarian for every day life events. Special events yes.

Daily’d my ‘68 for many years, as it was my only vehicle at the time. Had to do a lot of work for it to function/drive well in -40 degree temps.

I daily drive my 73 with AC, 5 speed, 3FE, front disc brakes and power steering, 32" tires, It'll go 70-75 no problem. 80 is my limit, the tops of the doors start to peel out about there. Carb and points start to take away reliability unless you know how to take care of them (I found I did not).
I’m learning a lot every day and it’s fun learning not angry learning like chasing down a failed sensor or trying to figure out why your sun roof won’t close minutes before huge storm,new cars are built so weak,manufacturers couldn’t care less if the car makes it over 10 years,I fumbled a socket I dropped,instead of catching it I smacked it .....straight into the door of my Jetta ,and left a perfect socket shaped dent...I can probably throw a toolbox at my 40 without much damage.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom