Talk me out of a 5th gen Runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

100 Series, no debate. My father has a '16 T4R SR5 4WD. My uncle has a '17 T4R TRD Pro. My aunt has a '17 T4R TRD Trail. I've driven all of those and they are nice and very capable as well. But, my father, uncle and aunt have all commented how my '98 just feels "solid" and like it can go over and through anything. It's noticeably quieter than the T4R with much greater visibility. I can cruise on the highway at 75mph and have conversations with backseat passengers without raising our voices. This, despite the fact I have numerous adornments on my rig that would normally cause TONS of wind noise. Riding in my relatives' T4Rs, it's noticeable how much more road/wind noise there is. The materials on my 98 LX, even though they are nearly 20 years older than my relatives' T4Rs, just feels nicer and more durable (and have proven to be so). The hatch/tailgate on the LandCruiser family is just better. It gives you a place to sit with overhead protection from rain. You can picnic on it. The T4R hatch provides none of that functionality. Lastly, comparing almost any of the components will reveal just how overbuilt the 100 Series is compared to a T4R. The inner tie-rods posted earlier are just one example. The LCAs on the 100 are MUCH bigger. The CV axles are night-and-day compared to the T4R. Everything is overbuilt in the 100 Series. Here's my LX for reference.

View attachment 1981561

Christ bro what do you pack when you go on these trips, looks like you've got enough gear to live offgrid for a decade. How does she drive with all that weight on?

I bought my wife a 2016 4runner (our third and her "dream car") and we got rid of it in less than 2 years.

Same here. We had our 2016 for 2.5 years, lack of rear AC for 3rd row passengers was the straw that broke the camels back. It was nice, but my 2000 LX470 is a lot better. Wife bought a Subaru :rolleyes:

Now I gotta post the same question in a 4Runner forum and see what I get...probably more of the same I’d imagine.

The T4R has an advantage (smaller) in terms of size when comparing a 5th gen to a 200. However, a 5th Gen is remarkably similar to a 100 as far as exterior dimensions. The 100 is barely 3" longer at the wheelbase, 2" longer overall, 1/2" widerr and 2.5" taller. They are actually pretty darn close. However, the 100 has a greater towing capacity (6500 vs 5000) and has WAY more interior room. The T4R weighs less, has a tighter turning radius and has more horsepower which will make it feel more nimble. The T4R has a much broader aftermarket support (170,000+ units sold annually vs the 10,000 units sold/year of the 100 series). So, there is somewhat of an advantage there. The 6-bolt wheel pattern of the T4R has TONS of aftermarket options. The 5x150 on the 100 is a "unique" pattern that has aftermarket options, but not nearly as diverse or common (learned this when trying to match my trailer wheels to my 100).

The T4Rs are great SUVs. They get better fuel economy and are easier to daily drive. But, even owners of T4Rs that I routinely run into will concede that the 100 is just in a "different league". Can't count the number of T4R owners who stop me and want to know more about my LandCruiser/LX. LandCruisers simply carry a different 'air" about them and are held in a higher regard (some of that is based on "cult-ishness".....but most of it is factual).

2000 Land Cruiser here -
I've spent $2500 on maintenance this year, doing all the work myself. Read up on the windshield problems - what a rusty disaster that was.
10-12 MPG
No one will accuse the 4.7 of being over-powered.

Oh wait.... I'm supposed to be talking you out of a 4Runner.
It's a Land Cruiser - iconic. We're a special brotherhood. By chance I ran into another LC running Top of the World in Moab last fall, on a weekday. It was pretty special.

I sold my 5th gen 4runner because I didn't want a car note anymore. I don't miss it at all since I got the LX470. The LX/LC's just feel much better built. Articulates way more than the 5th gen, has more power, real leather seats, more space, can run 35's much easier and quieter inside.

Pics for comparision.

20180729_193937.jpg

20190112_115018.jpg

night time yosh.jpg

20190331_114315.jpg

Same here. We had our 2016 for 2.5 years, lack of rear AC for 3rd row passengers was the straw that broke the camels back. It was nice, but my 2000 LX470 is a lot better. Wife bought a Subaru :rolleyes:
That's funny! My wife also went with a 2018 Subaru Outback.

That’s what we’re upgrading from, so both will be a huge improvement!

I sold my 5th gen 4runner because I didn't want a car note anymore. I don't miss it at all since I got the LX470. The LX/LC's just feel much better built. Articulates way more than the 5th gen, has more power, real leather seats, more space, can run 35's much easier and quieter inside.

Pics for comparision.

View attachment 1981625

View attachment 1981626

View attachment 1981627

View attachment 1981628

Nice trucks! Can’t deny that front end on the 5th gen is sick.

Several stories so far about guys flipping 5th gens for a 100. I was one and like the rest I didn't look back.

My 4R was a DD as well as a back country truck. I now have a beater sedan for the work commute and the 100 is reserved for weekend fun. I had a '13 Trail w/ KDSS. The pathetic power output ultimately did me in after 4yrs, the 5th gen is just not a great highway vehicle, especially if you're making 500+mi treks. 5th gens also eat windshields for breakfast.

In terms of creature comforts and tech, its apples and apples with an edge towards 100 (seats as mentioned) if you're comparing to '03+. I want for nothing in the 100.

I'll reiterate what many of said about 100 build quality and it's not overblown. 4Rs are plenty capable offroad and overall well built. 100s are just top shelf vehicles and an absolute pleasure to drive.

Go 100.

^^^Agreed, on road trips, a 4runner is going to kill your back. I drove to Kentucky to go climbing at Red River Gorge, that 10 hours i drove, i felt fine, took a 4 hour trip in the 4runner to the beach, my hemorrhoids were flaring up.
Buddy, that's one opinion lol. I drove straight through from St Louis to upstate NY four times (13-14 hrs) and straight through from St Louis to Phx (20+ hrs) and had no back pain.

OP, obviously this is a 100 series forum. If you went to a Range Rover forum or a G wagon forum and wanted to compare those vehicles to a Land Cruiser they would all wax poetically about how much better their vehicles are, just like we are doing. You should really go drive them and see what you think for yourself.

I owned a 5th gen and I disagree with a lot of the negative stuff posted here, mostly from people that have never owned them. But thats fine. I prefer my 100 series... But a big part of that is I like modding it and I didn't want to mod my 30k T4R. If everything was the same, there's a good chance I'd still have the 4runner. It was a very good vehicle and definitely had upsides over our trucks. But here I am and I also have no complaints.

Parts DEFINITELY cost more, and modding it DEFINITELY costs more, so those are the two things I will categorically disagree with versus someone who says otherwise. The rest are just opinions.

It’s great that your doing your research. I’m glad you’d consider asking the 4Runner guys, they probably have some pros and cons we haven’t thought of.

Posted on the 150 series forum, here’s the link:

@900exdriver

Posted on the 150 series forum, here’s the link:

@900exdriver

wasnt this thread on the 100 series forum once called talk me out of a 100 series but most guys used this thread to talk you out of the 4 runner instead lol..

Once you decide on the 100, make a new thread and ask if the LX or LC is better and watch the butthurt flow.

that's a fun topic where LC guys can't admit the LX is superior in stock form, but LC guys get the upper hand by saying "mine says land cruiser so I win by default and everything else doesn't matter."

:hillbilly:

Last edited:
wasnt this thread on the 100 series forum once called talk me out of a 100 series but most guys used this thread to talk you out of the 4 runner instead lol..

You gotta ask the question right to get the right answer!

that's a fun topic where LC guys can't admit the LX is superior in stock form, but LC guys get the upper hand by saying "mine says land cruiser so I win by default and everything else doesn't matter."

:hillbilly:

As a LC owner, I will admit that stock the LX470 is superior at driving on pavement and carrying a large quantity of women's undergarments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom