Took a Chance on eBay Window Spoiler (hear me out) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

Not sure if this has been covered before here or not. A few days ago I was curious what would pop up if I typed in "100 Series Spoiler" into the eBay search bar. One of the first things to catch my eye was the OEM style spoiler (98-02?) from some new seller with only a few feedback points.

I decided to take the risk and ordered it up for the price (Asking $235 but you can "Make an Offer" - out of respect and privacy to the seller I will let buyer/seller negotiate their sale price) they were asking I thought it was a lot better than spending $600 some people have been asking. Part was also advertised as "Brand New", so I assumed it would be aftermarket and accepted the risk that comes with the fit and quality.

Today the spoiler arrived, it was neatly packaged and in a box:
IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

The order comes with the mounting brackets and regular phillips stye screws to affix the mounts to the spoiler but oddly enough does not come with the bolts to mount the brackets to the body.

Luckily, I still had my old OEM brackets from when my original spoiler broke off, so I decided to compare the OEM ones versus the aftermarket ones. I concluded that the factory brackets seemed to me to be better quality and felt like they would last longer. Plus, they felt heavier and less "cheap" feeling EVEN THOUGH THEY LOOK EXACTLY IDENTICAL. I decided to use the factory brackets with the OEM hex style screws since they were interchangeable between the aftermarket and OEM bracket.

Let me know what you guys think. Should I have used the "new" aftermarket ones even though I have the OEM brackets that are "old" and possibly brittle at this point?

IMG_0948.JPG

Here's a close up of the new brackets and hardware.

IMG_0955.JPG

Here's a side by side of the factory bracket versus the aftermarket one.

IMG_0951.JPG

Finish looks incredible (IMO), no sharp edges or cheap looking roughness.

Installation is very self explanatory, and needs no explanation. Fitment is 100% and I mean 100%. All the holes align and since i'm using the factory brackets I definitely won't have any gaps or fitment issues.

Onto the before and after installed pictures...

Last edited:
Before:

IMG_0952.jpg

After:

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with it... it looks more proper now and beats paying the outrageous used OEM prices. Will report back if it flys off on the freeway the next time I commute into work, but I seriously doubt it.

As a final closing comment; I'm not sure if there is ANY size difference to the factory spoiler versus this one, since my original one fell off and shattered on the roadway. But if it's anything like the brackets that look identical, it should be the same size. But if someone wants to confirm, below are some basic measurements.

IMG_0959.jpg

Link to the spoiler:

Last edited:
I'm jealous. I ordered one from Alibaba (looks to be the exact same) before I realized my broken bracket won't come off due to a spinning rivnut. So...shameless plug, I've got an OEM spoiler and the aftermarket one up f/s in the classifieds along with aftermarket brackets.

I'm jealous. I ordered one from Alibaba (looks to be the exact same) before I realized my broken bracket won't come off due to a spinning rivnut. So...shameless plug, I've got an OEM spoiler and the aftermarket one up f/s in the classifieds along with aftermarket brackets.
That's a bummer! I thought I could live with it when I broke my original one off, but it just didn't look right. Had to put it on the back burner with how scarce and expensive it was to find an alternative or replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom