New FJ62 owner in Alaska (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! I’m pretty sure no one cares but I’m new here from Kodiak, Alaska. I will be posting lots of questions and probably selling a bunch of used parts so I might as well get started.

I’m in the process of purchasing a 1989 complete FJ62 low miles (66k) parts car along with an identical 1990 high mileage vehicle I will be restoring. My learning curve on this particular vehicle is steep but I’m no stranger to restos or kit car builds.

That’s probably enough for now. My learning is set to begin. Thanks all in advance for your support.

IMG_2537.jpeg

Today is my first day here actually but having built a kit car some years ago I’ve spent lots of time in a forum like this. I just sealed the deal on these LCs today and am looking forward to starting the tear down and rebuild.
Steve

TWO Landcruisers > One Landcruiser

Just received my second purchase. The first of course was the 89 and the 90 identical 62s. $5000. I’m pretty sure I’ll put the book to good use. Let the spending begin! So far, the wife has bought into my new drivetrain purchase (LS3, etc.). I’ve always been a big hp kinda guy.

Oh and I got the keys to both yesterday so I’ll drive the 90 and tow the 89 to my house today. Woohoo!

IMG_0044.jpeg

Just drove the 90 to my home from about 10 miles away. Aside from a pretty tired engine with 233k miles, a leaky rad and a couple minor electrical issues, it drove great! I’ll keep driving it until I can part out the 89. Yes, its got rust. Frame looks good. Bonus: the previous owner left me new carpet for install and the interior is super clean.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

66K miles! That's impressive. Guess it's been on island for many years?

Yeah the 89 was in a minor t-bone incident about 8 years ago, was totaled and has sat ever since. It’s been here since new. On this island there’s not much accumulation of miles. My 2004 tundra DD only has 68k.

I lived in Kodiak back in 2000-03. I don't ever remember seeing any 60's on the island back then. Cool that you have one that's been there since new.

A colleague of mine at our local high school sold his fj60 about 12 years ago to a coast guard guy who was, I believe, from Kodiak. As I recall, the 60 was actually loaded onto a coast guard ship for transport north. It was white in color, with no rust. I think he sold it for a really good price, around $4K or so.

I lived in Kodiak back in 2000-03. I don't ever remember seeing any 60's on the island back then. Cool that you have one that's been there since new.
If you lived here back then you’d remember Sutliff’s True Value Hardware store. Norm Sutliff bought the ‘89 for his wife. She died and the daughter Barbara Zimmerman drove it until it was totaled about 8 or 10 years ago. Barb’s daughter Dorece is a good friend. It’s very small here in Kodiak.

A colleague of mine at our local high school sold his fj60 about 12 years ago to a coast guard guy who was, I believe, from Kodiak. As I recall, the 60 was actually loaded onto a coast guard ship for transport north. It was white in color, with no rust. I think he sold it for a really good price, around $4K or so.
Hmm. If so I would most certainly have seen it. But vehicles do come and go here quite frequently.

If you lived here back then you’d remember Sutliff’s True Value Hardware store. Norm Sutliff bought the ‘89 for his wife. She died and the daughter Barbara Zimmerman drove it until it was totaled about 8 or 10 years ago. Barb’s daughter Dorece is a good friend. It’s very small here in Kodiak.
Oh yeah, I certainly remember Sutliff's. I lived in the brown apartment building close to it on Center St. (I think that was the name).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom