Idaho 73 40 series (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
B00981DA-79A5-48EE-AECD-A14CE82369C0.jpeg
A1154D70-988C-4B84-8B2B-371EFA80FE2D.jpeg
Hey folks, new guy here. I have been stealing info off this site for years thought I might as well try to contribute a bit and ask a few questions.
But to start here is what I’m working with:
73 fj40 my uncle bought new and drove very hard up until about 10 years ago then he parked it in a field behind his house in Utah, it sat for 7 years then I called me to come get it and I’ve been playing with it for the last 3 years

Nice! Hows the interior? Running okay? Might want to empty the tank. And sand it down to bare metal for leaking through rust and pinholes. I just had to do that with my '72... after a flood of gas filled the well under the tank! LOL!

Nice! Hows the interior? Running okay? Might want to empty the tank. And sand it down to bare metal for leaking through rust and pinholes. I just had to do that with my '72... after a flood of gas filled the well under the tank! LOL!
Interior is full of holes! Lol lots of rust no back seat. I’ll add some more pics in a few minutes. The fuel tank got cleaned out it’s and aftermarket between the frame rails for now

Is it titled a 73 or 74? That is a 74 model. Front heater, TOYOTA emblem in the grill, roll bar and tail lights were all changes for 74.

Then I got 5.29s chromolys and a lockrite in the front topped off with brand new hubs from Kurt at cruiser outfitters with the chromoly job gears. The rear got 5.29s and mini spool then I just started driving it as much as I could

C7AB2103-80AD-43E3-B784-68F8BD6DD1A9.jpeg

02D641D2-9C0B-452E-A7D1-DFC960D25D0A.jpeg

84DBCE14-2E97-4382-BB10-1AC4AAB0615D.jpeg

67C4EBE7-A759-49A6-84DA-39A300CFE458.jpeg

The motor runs “ok” but leaks like crazy, trans and transfer case also leak so that leads we to where I am now. I love my cruiser but with the stock style steering, these skyjacker springs and too tall of shackles it drives like sh#t. So I’m looking for knowledge and advice. I’m planning on pulling the LS6 out of my daily driver to go in my cruiser with a 4L60 adapted to the stock case but my concern my drive shaft. I’m gathering parts to do a spring over on stock fj60 springs and flipping the springs for longer wheel base.
Is my drivetrain combo going to leave me with too short of a drive shaft?
Also plan on fj60 axles if I can find the housings, rear full float conversion, and power steering and low gear set for the t case

If it's a 74 model it will have the late F155 with improved oiling system. Oil filter would be on the passenger's side between the fuel pump and distributor. 73 was on a bracket bolted to the intake. If you plan on going to a V8 would either upgrade to a split transfer case or go with a Orion. Not sure of changing the gears in the one piece (Orion). Pretty sure split transfer has different gear sets available. Have to know size of idler shaft in the split transfer case. Do your homework if you go that route so that everything works together. The 60 series rear axle will have a hand brake but finding a OEM FF is not easy in the US. Almost easier finding FF from 40 series.

If it's a 74 model it will have the late F155 with improved oiling system. Oil filter would be on the passenger's side between the fuel pump and distributor. 73 was on a bracket bolted to the intake. If you plan on going to a V8 would either upgrade to a split transfer case or go with a Orion. Not sure of changing the gears in the one piece (Orion). Pretty sure split transfer has different gear sets available. Have to know size of idler shaft in the split transfer case. Do your homework if you go that route so that everything works together. The 60 series rear axle will have a hand brake but finding a OEM FF is not easy in the US. Almost easier finding FF from 40 series.
I plan on doing the full float conversion to a 60 series rear axle I should have specified and when I said low gear set for the tcase I was thinking Orion just couldn’t remember the name. Is the split case a better case than using the Orion set up?

Hello from Victor. Small world, I have a 73 as well or at least what’s left of it. I’m turning 35’s with little effort using the fj80 p/s. Mini truck discs are also a good upgrade.
Is it titled a 73 or 74? That is a 74 model. Front heater, TOYOTA emblem in the grill, roll bar and tail lights were all changes for 74.
My 73 has all of those items, except a stock roll-bar and newer tailights.

Hello from Victor. Small world, I have a 73 as well or at least what’s left of it. I’m turning 35’s with little effort using the fj80 p/s. Mini truck discs are also a good upgrade.

Very small world! Ha mine has discs already on the front. Did you do the 80 series steering conversion? I’ve only ever seen 60 series and Saginaw

I did the 80 conversion-it’s pretty much the same as the 60. I think it’s a bit bigger box(could be wrong) and the pit arm is different. I’ve seen the threads where the 80 pit arm is more desirable, but I’ve never seen the 60 one to compare. I think there are more 80s being parted out these days anyways. If your looking, check ksl.

I did the 80 conversion-it’s pretty much the same as the 60. I think it’s a bit bigger box(could be wrong) and the pit arm is different. I’ve seen the threads where the 80 pit arm is more desirable, but I’ve never seen the 60 one to compare. I think there are more 80s being parted out these days anyways. If your looking, check ksl.
I’ll look around see what I can find. Working on drivetrain parts right now and can’t pull the motor out of my car till my new motor for the car is done. It’s a vicious cycle

So you have a plastic not metal front grill emblem and front heater with the vent at the top? Heater and emblem were there just changed for the 74 model. Also for 74 the F155 changed to improved oiling system. Curious of your A pillar stamped build date. 9/73 was when the 74 model year started. States titling them by build date verses what a manufacturer say what model year it is was common. By this time the owner's manual have the model year on them. Have a original owner's manual for my 73.

I’ll look around see what I can find. Working on drivetrain parts right now and can’t pull the motor out of my car till my new motor for the car is done. It’s a vicious cycle
I have a 350 right now and it’s fine, but I’m always on a passive search for an ls/nv4500. I’m being kinda picky, so it might not happen anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom