Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Breaking camp in the morning and heading over to the Reese River Valley and into another part of the Humbolt-Toyoibe National Forest, on the east side of the range.

I love the San Juan Creek area, but am going to check out a few new (to me) places this time... We've had a great time here, in Quinn Canyon!!

But, it's time to spread our wings and sleep in 44 again... So, we can be more mobile... e.g. Pickup and move, at the drop of a hat.

Of course, we're gonna drive thru Tonopah again... Cisco's, on US95, on the north edge of Tonopah has great hamburgers, ribs, Mexican food, etc. and I'm getting hungrier by the moment!!

Now, I'll be awake much of the night, trying to decide what to eat... :confused:

:cheers:

Although it suits you to a tee, I’m having to get used to your new ‘screen name’! :)

Wow! Many of your pics look so close to places I've seen in eastern Oregon. A bit more rimrock, but so close otherwise. I love that kind of country. Also, I love your description of the first pic in post 2758. "Bird of pray" made me chuckle.

Somehow I'm going to have to get you to Silver Lake "Don't Blink Your Eyes" Oregon. It's found on Hwy 31 between Hwy 97 and Lakeview. There is (or used to be) a little "hole in the wall" place that the locals frequent that makes the best hamburgers. Their biggest burger is a HUGE 9" diameter. Several years ago I took my family there and my son wanted that one. Afterwards he wanted another one right away.

Gotta go. My family wants to go to a place (a newer park) close to where we used to live in Albany, right down next to the river. It has several (miles? of) trails. My Dad used to work in a Simpson Timber plywood mill in that area and it has been made over into a river side park.

Don

We're home... Our month of solace in solitude has flown by and we've had a ball!!

The best part of the trip was this last segment... a return to the San Juan Creek area, of the west side of the Toyoibe Range, on the east side of the Reese River valley.

I had forgotten that this past weekend was a 3-day holiday weekend... I had planned to return to my favorite campsite... But, that plan quickly morphed into either driving MUCH further into a more remote area, or merely leaving entirely.

About a mile into the forest, I came upon a couple of guys trying to drag a long dead tree (sans branches), with limb stubs, on its full length (about 30'), using a quad ATV.

Since they had the two-tracked effectively blocked, I watched them try twice to drag it... Both times, they plowed several feet of the track and then broke their rope. After the second time, I noticed I could squeeze by them (they could have easily moved their quad and I could have driven right by the tree). So, I yelled, "I can get by you" and drove past them... Just as I was almost past, the younger (40-something) guy said, "we would have moved, if you had just waited a minute". I said, "I already waited... as you can see, I had no trouble getting by. Would you like me to back up, so you can move out of the way?". He said, "No, go ahead",

I got about 1/4 mile further and came upon two quads, parked side by side, in the track... Not a soul in sight... I honked for 5 minutes and was about to turn around and ask the two guys if these were their quads, when three kids, two boys and a girl, about 10-12 years old cMe walking back upstream in the creek and the two boys signaled they would move their quads... then they signaled a few more times and eventually moved them a roos the creek and up the hill... The second quad stalled and started rolling back down the hill and I was already in reverse, in the creek, when he got it started again.

After another 1/2 mile, I passed their campsite... They looked like they brought everything they owned... Rather than solace, I had found a family of idiots!!

When I reached the campsite I had planned to use, I found it empty. But, decided 4 miles was way too close to this family of idiots and way to close to the two-track that they would be frequenting.

So, I drove past that campsite and crossed the creek again... About a 1/4 mile further and the track splits.... The left track climbs steeply to an 8500' ridge... I can't safely do a climb like that, without a human partner. So, we took the right track and forded the tributary stream. After several hundred yards, we came to an open area that was almost level and parked 44 within hearing distance of the stream.

We had a dispersed campsite, with gorgeous 360 degree views, the soothing sounds of running water, Dan and Dan's Best Friend and not a single family of idiots around... I fact, no one around us at all!!

It rained and drizzled the whole time we were there and the wind was very cold, at 7500'... But, that didn't stop us... We put up a tarp to cook and sit under and had a great time!!

Disclaimer: some pictures were taken in the rain, so...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This track leads uphill, about a 1/2 mile, to a "no motorized vehicle" boundary... We were walking back to camp in this pic
image.jpeg

I added tarp awnings on the passenger side and at the rear and moved the furniture to make it more comfortable.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The stream... In one of the few places we could actually access it

image.jpeg

Another golden eagle... In the middle of a bath

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We had a yuge moon and the first night, I was up at 2:20am, for obvious reasons, and I noticed a star, to the right of the moon... I didn't recall that star, so I watched it for a bit and was surprised to see clouds hide the moon, but NOT the star... And yet. The star never moved... After Bout 30 minutes, the star disappeared... Yet, that part of the sky was clear... I tried to get pics, but didn't do a very good job... First pic shows a white dot in the middle... Second pic shows the white dot, as close as I could zoom it. Do do, do do...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also heard Sasquatch's lonely moan... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom