100 series brake system questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a new 100 owner and have some questions regarding the braking system. After a few days of driving my new hundy the brake light came on dimly and then got brighter, no other lights or noises. No big deal, check the brake fluid. Reservoir full, Damn, what now? Check the manual and learned the funny procedure for checking and filling the brake fluid. Ok, that worked, lights off, life is good.
So during that fiasco I did some research on this braking system and apparently it can have some alarming issues. Pun :) In my searching I found some info on this system but still have some questions...

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this system as opposed to a vacuum system?

2. What other vehicles use a similar setup?

3. Has your system "failed"? If so, at what age or mileage?

4. How often does your working system "kick on"?

Thanks for your time, I'm just trying to get more information on this, call it curiosity.

I can only answer number 3. 2000 lc 170miles. Last saturday, complete failure. Lots of lights and no brakes. ...I threw a part at it, didn't work. then thought of the brakes going out with wife and kids like it did with me and ordered whole assembly New part coming in tomorrow from Toyota. New bumper and other goodies will have to wait.

I landed here doing research on the ABS brake topic. My wife experienced the ABS audible alarm and dashboard warning light disco while idling (thankfully). I babied it to the shop and the brakes died as the tech was pulling it into the bay. I'm looking at a >$3K bill from what I understand. I bought my 100 at 75k miles a few years ago and it's currently at 170k.

I am a new 100 owner and have some questions regarding the braking system. A
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this system as opposed to a vacuum system?
Vacuum needs engine running, electric does not.
Both can fail, vacuum will be cheaper to fix.
Don't think vacuum will generate pressures and volume required for ATRAC

2. What other vehicles use a similar setup?
That I know of 4Runner

3. Has your system "failed"? If so, at what age or mileage?
No, my 2000 is just about at 190K

4. How often does your working system "kick on"?
System is always on when key is on, even for simple braking, front to rear balance is determined by computer, earlier LC had a proportioning valve.
If you mean when does the pump cycle to recharge accumulator, can't say, I don't hear it.

I'll reply to my own post...

1. Advantages and disadvantages, I guess I just see the huge disadvantage of repair cost, but I have a landcruiser, worth it

2. Other vehicles, not sure. I do have an 07 sequoia that I believe has ATRAC but has a vacuum system

3. Failure. Not yet, I have a 98 with 201k

4. Operation. Mine kicks on about every 3 to 4 times I brake. It is kinda noisy, I would compare it to the power window motors, but under the hood. I don't notice it with the radio on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom