Do GX470s sell for premium prices above KBB? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I used the search feature and found lots of discussions on price but not many on premiums.

Are GX470s immune from KBB price suggestions?

I'd like to buy the 2008 model that I'm looking at for my wife. It has 117K miles documented by service records. Everything was done at the local lexus dealership in Austin, including the timing belt at 89K. The previous owner even took it in for things like turn signals. It's about as pristine a used car as I've ever seen.

I can't tell whether it has the sport package with KDSS, but it does have NAV and does not have DVD in the back.

This little used car dealership wants $16,995 for the car, and politely said they aren't budging on price. The Fair Market Range on KBB is $13,490 to $15,831.

I'd appreciate any guidance. Here's a link to the actual car: LIKE BRAND NEW! 2008 Lexus GX 470 V8 4WD SUV 117k miles LOADED Pearl

image1_20180202143458_800600.jpg

It does not have the sport package, but may however still have KDSS. Its worth what you think it’s worth. White/tan isn’t an unusual combo or anything, but awesome maintenance records make it valuable. KBB sucks at valuing cars. Look the roof over well for peeling paint, the white has a tendency to peel.

Looks like it's in great shape. If you're thinking about buying it, make sure you take a good look at the front seats and steering wheel for touch-up "leather dye" as well as the wheels for respray.

offer the minimum of what you are willing to pay, and not a dollar more, and don't back off - it's a dealer after all, and there's no reason to pay their inflated asking prices or any premium on top of what the blue book low range is

used car dealer vehicles ALLWAYS have at least one major problem (which is why the previous owner offloaded in the first place) - many times they have more than one problem (and I test drive enough to know by now :rolleyes:) - or they had body damage or got flooded . . . - which may not need to be disclosed in all states - so BEWARE

Last edited:
Unfortunately blue book isn't always the best reference for what the dealer should or will sell a car for. It's always driven by what the market will take. I recently had this exact same convo with my cousin who is the GM of a dealership in SoCal as I was in the market for a GX

I Just bought my wife's from a dealer - 2007 with 73k on the clock. Vin check showed EVERY possible service done to the car in the last 10k miles. Brakes, shocks, cv boots, belts, water pump...basically anything the service writer at Lexus said to do the previous owner did.

Anyways, dealer ask was $18,900 I ended up getting it for $17,900. Like someone else said theres always room in a used car for price. Just show they you are serious and that they can make a sale right that day. I've bought many used cars and I almost always walk away after they say no the first time (because they usually say no). Leave your number and say if you're serious about selling here's how to reach me and walk out. Works every time.

offer the minimum of what you are willing to pay, and not a dollar more, and don't back off - it's a dealer after all, and there's no reason to pay their inflated asking prices or any premium on top of what the blue book low range is

used car dealer vehicles ALLWAYS have at least one major problem (which is why the previous owner offloaded in the first place) - many times they have more than one problem (and I test drive enough to know by now :rolleyes:) - or they had body damage or got flooded . . . - which may not need to be disclosed in all states - so BEWARE

That is extremely not true.

It has 117K miles documented by service records. Everything was done at the local lexus dealership in Austin, including the timing belt at 89K. The previous owner even took it in for things like turn signals. It's about as pristine a used car as I've ever seen.

I think that's your answer right there in bold. Appraisers at best can provide ballpark prices. When someone has a standout vehicle like you seem to have found, it rightly brings more money. Sounds like the seller knows what he has.

[/QUOTE]

I think that's your answer right there in bold. Appraisers at best can provide ballpark prices. When someone has a standout vehicle like you seem to have found, it rightly brings more money. Sounds like the seller knows what he has.

I am sending a mobile mechanic to inspect the car today. If it indeed checks out 100%, I will have a good answer to that question.

Is the adjustable rear airbag supposed to go down smoothly from N to Low, or in clunks? I tried it while we were at a stop light yesterday and it had a noticeable clunk sound and feel as it went down. I’ve never owned a car with this feature.

Mine goes down slowly and smoothly. From the exterior, I can just hear a mechanical hum, air letting out, and a click when it reaches the lowered height. Inside, the light on the dash just blinks until it reaches the lowered setting and then the low light illuminates.

Edit: I just tried mine. There is absolutely no in-cab sound when the bags are deflating from N to LO. It is slow and smooth (I couldn't feel it lowering). The dash light blinks as it lowers, and it takes approximately 10 seconds to complete. After the rear end has lowered, it makes a click sound, somewhat similar to releasing the center diff lock (might be considered a light clunk to some ears) and the LO light stays on. On the way back up, the compressor kicks on, making the engine rev slightly. I could hear the compressor the whole time. Took about 20 seconds to re-inflate and I heard the same clicking noises.

Last edited:
Is the adjustable rear airbag supposed to go down smoothly from N to Low, or in clunks? I tried it while we were at a stop light yesterday and it had a noticeable clunk sound and feel as it went down. I’ve never owned a car with this feature.
The driveshaft is binding.

It goes down smooth, but I do hear the compressor.

Can you explain the significance of that?
There’s basically a slip joint on the driveshaft that allows it to expand and contract with height. (Among other things) it could just be that the slip joint needs grease, it’s probably never been greased since it left the factory. When they bind, they kinda pop/clunk as the height of the vehicle changes, and may seem notchy.

You can see the grease in the joint in my truck.

96CCB66A-E91C-48A6-9DEC-58B960B15907.jpeg

I generally see the GX's go for kbb. I actually ended up in a GX because 4runners in my area were going for 20-25% over kbb. Fxxx that. I paid 13.5k for an 07 with 120k and full service records.

I can't help but think that Hurricane Harvey destroying more than one million cars in the Houston area (4 hours from me) has driven regional prices up significantly.

Congrats on the new purchase, can't wait to get one of my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom