“Buddy,” my FJ45lpb, the backstory, trip, getting the rig going (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The road trip is over. 2.5 days and 1481 miles. Got a FJ45 and was able to spend time with son. Perfect.

P2220036.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

So why is the front removed with an incomplete engine install? This link goes a long way to explain it: 1967 FJ45L Restoration & Lift (yep, same truck). So happy my cousin decided to let go of his vision to sell the truck to me.

I have boxes of stuff, and the newbie I am to the 45 world have no idea what goes where. Nothing organized. And I do mean nothing. I'm somewhat dangerous around an FZJ80. I admit, tho, not having disassembled the truck, will be a challenge for me to put humpty dumpty back together again. That's part of the fun, right? :steer:

How about some more pics?

Looking at the rig one can readily assess my Uncle used the hell out of this thing. Very few areas of the truck, inside or outside, were spared damage. Not sure, assuming it's my Uncle's handy work, welding was his forte. The doors, otherwise, appear to be in great shape.

P2220001.jpg
P2220002.jpg
P2220007.jpg

P2220015.jpg

interior shots ... I mentioned earlier that I tapped all body parts to find that the truck suffers surface rust. The floorboard area looks a bit nasty but is solid.

P2220008.jpg
P2220014.jpg
P2220013, bright.jpg

I am shocked that the seats are in the shape they are in. How this fabric survived with no serious tears or cracks is a testament to quality. I am assuming these are the original seat covers?

P2220010.jpg

My Uncle was a hunter, a few of the walls of his home were adorned with dozens of the trophies of his hunts.

P2220041.jpg

The running boards are good to go. Stood on both with no give or creaking sounds. Given some of the abuse various parts of this rig sustained, to include both the front and back license plates, how the running boards survived more less intact and straight is pretty amazing.

driver side

P2220074.jpg

passenger side
P2220075.jpg

To the rear ... the tailgate. Locks and unlocks with no problem. Chains hold the gate just fine. GTG.

P2220038.jpg

P2220039.jpg

P2220040.jpg

Yes, the cracks in the steering wheel are fairly typical---and can be restored. The seat upholstery---no, not original.

There is so much there to love. Has to be one of the straightest, most complete, least molested, rust free and original 45s around. Congratulations.

Yes, the cracks in the steering wheel are fairly typical---and can be restored. The seat upholstery---no, not original.

There is so much there to love. Has to be one of the straightest, most complete, least molested, rust free and original 45s around. Congratulations.

Thank you. I will say it again, I feel so fortunate to own a 45, let alone one owned by my Uncle who purchased new.

I was thinking the steering wheel was a loss. Good to know. If not for the partial restoration his grandson had started, I think the truck is original save for the few changes my Uncle made to it (gun rack, spare tire mount in the bed). Very, very minor stuff.

Decide to look a bit more closely at the removed engine. Number does not match the truck VIN. So ... somewhere along the way, my uncle must have replaced the original engine with this engine, right? VIN TAG: FJ45-21951. Engine block is F-205197 Am I missing something here? Can this be the original block with a differing number?

P2220017.jpg

P2260090.jpg

P2260094.jpg

P2260096.jpg

Last edited:
Vin and block number will NOT match up. I bet it is the original engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom