Brake parts 2008-2010 or is it to 2015 and Rotor Pad discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Getting ready to buy some slotted DBA rotors and looking at brake pads. Most sights show the parts I am looking at only good for 2008 to 2010. A couple show to 2015

I am pretty sure the rotors and pads are the same from 2008 to 2015. In 2016 they switched to larger calipers I believe

Anyone confirm 2008-2015 are the same for rotors and pads?

Getting ready to buy some slotted DBA rotors and looking at brake pads. Most sights show the parts I am looking at only good for 2008 to 2010. A couple show to 2015

I am pretty sure the rotors and pads are the same from 2008 to 2015. In 2016 they switched to larger calipers I believe

Anyone confirm 2008-2015 are the same for rotors and pads?
Not trying to hijack the thread, but Terrain Tamer HP drilled/slotted rotors and pads fit 2008 through 2015 on the 200 Series.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but Terrain Tamer HP drilled/slotted rotors and pads fit 2008 through 2015 on the 200 Series.

I appreciate the info. I have always believed the drilled are more susceptible to cracking, debris can get into the holes and cause problem and they really don't help much. That is why I was going DBA slotted, what are your thoughts on that?

I appreciate the info. I have always believed the drilled are more susceptible to cracking, debris can get into the holes and cause problem and they really don't help much. That is why I was going DBA slotted, what are your thoughts on that?

I will attempt to channel @orangefj45 (Georg), since he is our resident tech..... He has run other s/d units without problems as described. Over the last year or so, we have sold/installed a number of the HP Terrain Tamer units without any negative reports. The slot edges are beveled which seems to keep things clean and reduce wear on the Terrain Tamer composite pads.

We have seen them here on 40/60/70 (fronts) and 80-100-200 and FJC Series (front and rear) with excellent results - disk clearance, pedal, stopping distance, face and (so far) pad life. Not cheap but lots of happy owners. Georg has them on his 100 and is happy.

It appears (based upon input from Australia) that slotted/drilled rotors disperse heat more effectively than OEM configuration or slotted only - allowing longer term use with less heat build-up and less warpage and less potential for metallurgical changes that might result in pad wear, cracking, etc.

HTH

TT Rotors Pads.png

These seem like a new product. My biggest quandary is what brake pads to go with. I can't find any reviews on the pads or technical information on why they could be better.

DBA has their own pads. There is a thread on here about TRDs being better than Hawk. Any comparison info or reviews on the Terain Tamers?

If I went with DBA slotted, any reason I couldnt use TT pads?

These seem like a new product. My biggest quandary is what brake pads to go with. I can't find any reviews on the pads or technical information on why they could be better.

DBA has their own pads. There is a thread on here about TRDs being better than Hawk. Any comparison info or reviews on the Terrain Tamers?

If I went with DBA slotted, any reason I couldnt use TT pads?
Product about two years old. See Cruiser Brothers, LLC | Facebook - saved Monte's butt on a wet freeway.

@OTRAMM @Trollhole and @orangefj45 have all installed for customers and seem happy

Marshall featured the HP Terrain Tamer brakes (and Harrop Eaton elockers) on his build here 200 Series Icon stage 5 hybrid lift

I have about 7 MB of tech papers and "stuff" on the brakes, will try and select something suitable for public consumption.

As for pads only, why not buy the DBA rotors and pads.....or Terrain Tamer rotors and pads? In either case, it seems like sticking to the same brand might be a good idea. That way if you are happy or dissatisfied, you will know the vendor.

That said, we have seen a number of Terrain Tamer pads installed with OEM rotors and the benefits have been noted.

Happy to help in any case, thanks! :cheers:

upload_2017-2-18_17-23-31.png

I've been running the TRD pads for a little over a month and love them. Look at those as well

I've installed a number of the Terrain Tamer rotors and pads on cruisers for customers and myself. Everybody has been extremely happy with them and they've performed flawlessly.
Unlike other aftermarket slotted and/or drilled rotors, the Terrain Tamer units are ground to size, not cut. So the 2 braking surfaces are perfectly parallel and much less prone to uneven brake wear or chatter.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

I just installed a set of Terrain Tamer HP rotors and pads on my 80. I'm very happy with the performance so far. I hear that after a little break in period the will get even better. Which is great because braking has always been one of my biggest complaints with the 80. I'll likely run these on our future 200 series ( at some point). Now to convince the wife that the 200 is a better option for her over the new 4Runner Trail Premium she has her eye on.

i am sure Terrain Tamer is a nice product. Since I had the DBA slotted on my 100 and really liked them I bought the front set for my 200. Apparently Advanced Auto Parts is a dealer (On line only). I had to show 2010 cruiser for it to come up. I bought the fronts one at a time because there is a coupon right now for 24% off max of $50. So I saved $96 buying them separately. The code is 2YEAR and good through tomorrow. They always have some code on the website.

I am going to call the us rep who happens to be in Colorado and ask when the XP650 pads are going to be available. I can't find them anywhere

The rear brake pad part numbers changed between 2008-2011 and 2013+ (US spec). The fronts remained the same. I have some TRD pads and stock rotors ready to go but I'm not sure the rears will fit.

Stock Toyota pads generally have excellent life. How do these after market options compare as far as wear?

Product about two years old. See Cruiser Brothers, LLC | Facebook - saved Monte's butt on a wet freeway.

@OTRAMM @Trollhole and @orangefj45 have all installed for customers and seem happy

Marshall featured the HP Terrain Tamer brakes (and Harrop Eaton elockers) on his build here 200 Series Icon stage 5 hybrid lift

I have about 7 MB of tech papers and "stuff" on the brakes, will try and select something suitable for public consumption.

As for pads only, why not buy the DBA rotors and pads.....or Terrain Tamer rotors and pads? In either case, it seems like sticking to the same brand might be a good idea. That way if you are happy or dissatisfied, you will know the vendor.

That said, we have seen a number of Terrain Tamer pads installed with OEM rotors and the benefits have been noted.

Happy to help in any case, thanks! :cheers:

View attachment 1404594

If one was to purchase the cross drilled/slotted rotors (only rotors) where would one find the best price?

Stock Toyota pads generally have excellent life. How do these after market options compare as far as wear?

Do people find that the stock brakes seem to squeal pretty excessively, even when the pads have lots of life left? I've noticed this quite a bit. After the last time I had my brakes done a couple years ago I only seemed to go about 12 months before I started hearing the squeal again. On my last oil service visit I had the brakes checked and they said I had "many mm to go" before I'd even get to the point where I should start considering new pads.

What gives?

There is a metal shim that goes between the piston and the pad. If it isn't in place, it will squeal. They sometimes squeal anyways, but there is a product, Disk Brake Quiet or something like that, that you put on the piston-side of the shim that quiets them down.

Do people find that the stock brakes seem to squeal pretty excessively, even when the pads have lots of life left? I've noticed this quite a bit. After the last time I had my brakes done a couple years ago I only seemed to go about 12 months before I started hearing the squeal again. On my last oil service visit I had the brakes checked and they said I had "many mm to go" before I'd even get to the point where I should start considering new pads.

What gives?

I don't have any problems with squealing. The issues that I have with the stock brakes are: 1) lots of pedal travel and 2) front brakes easily become "warped" (yes, I know, they aren't warped, the pad transferred material to the rotor).

Mine squeaks occasionally. I pulled the wheels off to check the pads/rotors thinking they needed replacement but they have a several months of life left. I'm still going to swap out the pads/rotors with hawk HDs before I hit the trails/mountains this spring.

My biggest issue is the extreme nosedive on hard braking. But that's a product of the cushy suspension.

After talking with Christo, I am going with the Toyota pads, not TRD. DBA slotted rotors all around

After talking with Christo, I am going with the Toyota pads, not TRD. DBA slotted rotors all around
Can you summarize Christo's reasoning for the rest of us shopping?

Which one? It looks like DBA has a number of slotted rotors that fit the 200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom