Intermittent brake pulsation and hot rotor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All, I believe I know the answer to this question but wanted to check with you folks first. Recently, I've noticed that after driving for a bit, I'll get a pulsating noticeable throughout the vehicle (2011 LX570) while braking. This is more pronounced at higher speeds (40+). I've dealt with seized calipers twice before so I'm assuming that may be the problem, especially since whenever I get somewhere, the front right wheel is significantly warmer to the touch than the left front. Also, while not scientific, water from a spray bottle evaporates MUCH faster off that brake rotor than the other side.... instantaneous versus a slower sizzle.

The pulsating is not constant but only happens after driving a bit. I assume this is from the rotor heating up and warping. However, I would have assumed the warping would remain after it cools but I may be wrong here. Also, I assumed that if the rotor was completely seized, it would have run through the pads and there would be grinding going on but may be wrong there as well. They were last replaced last summer.

So, couple of questions:
  1. Is it possible that the rotor is seizing intermittently causing the heating but not seized permanently so not wearing through the pads immediately?
  2. Are there any other possible causes for this intermittent pulsation?
Thanks!

It's totally possible. I would just replace the calipers. They are super cheap and easy to DIY. I've replaced all mine after throwing pads and rotors at them every year chasing down squeals and vibrations.

It's totally possible. I would just replace the calipers. They are super cheap and easy to DIY. I've replaced all mine after throwing pads and rotors at them every year chasing down squeals and vibrations.
Yeah, I've actually replaced all 4 over the last 5 years so I'm disappointed that one may have already failed again but I'm thinking that is the easiest way. I've gotten really good at it. :)

Yeah, I've actually replaced all 4 over the last 5 years so I'm disappointed that one may have already failed again but I'm thinking that is the easiest way. I've gotten really good at it. :)
Genuine Toyota or aftermarket?

All signs point to a seized caliper on the Pass(right) side.

I’m assuming you mean warping instead of seizing in your questions in reference to the rotor.

I would also stick with factory calipers as it also sounds like you may be going aftermarket with your previous replacements.

Might not be a bad idea to replace your flexible lines up front on both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom