Towing with your LX470 or LC with AHC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good for you being not to mod anything to be happy with your set up, I dont have your luck:(

Without air bags my AHC pressures were scary with the boat hooked up. Im at 27psi in our air bags to make my AHC pressures correct via Tech-Stream. Im somewhere between 500-700 tongue weight and ~550lbs people and gear in the LX.

Now off to the lake to see how our new off road tires handle the pavement:rolleyes:

IMG_5583.JPG

Good for you being not to mod anything to be happy with your set up, I dont have your luck:(

Without air bags my AHC pressures were scary with the boat hooked up. Im at 27psi in our air bags to make my AHC pressures correct via Tech-Stream. Im somewhere between 500-700 tongue weight and ~550lbs people and gear in the LX.

Now off to the lake to see how our new off road tires handle the pavement:rolleyes:

To be fair, you have done an AHC lift. This as it were, already diminishes the constant height weight handling of the system, and also reduces the overall weight carrying capacity, without further mods. You ultimately found the right setup with spacers and bags, and I agree this is the way to go for a lift and maintaining haul capacities.

As I've shown, I've done 5k and 6k tows with with a stock setup that is well maintained with calibrated neutral pressures.

That said, for anyone towing at the upper end of the spectrum, air bags are likely a great addition. It's a no compromise modification that allows another adjustment for heavy lifting. A non-AHC truck would want this same mod too.

To be fair, you have done an AHC lift. This as it were, already diminishes the constant height weight handling of the system, and also reduces the overall weight carrying capacity, without further mods. You ultimately found the right setup with spacers and bags, and I agree this is the way to go for a lift and maintaining haul capacities.

As I've shown, I've done 5k and 6k tows with with a stock setup that is well maintained with calibrated neutral pressures.

That said, for anyone towing at the upper end of the spectrum, air bags are likely a great addition. It's a no compromise modification that allows another adjustment for heavy lifting. A non-AHC truck would want this same mod too.

Done a lift??
Please explain when my pressure are as yours, well maintained with calibrated neutral pressures. The only I did was determine how much to pressurize my air bags to keep pressures the same with the additional tongue weight, nothing special.

Done a lift??
Please explain when my pressure are as yours, well maintained with calibrated neutral pressures. The only I did was determine how much to pressurize my air bags to keep pressures the same with the additional tongue weight, nothing special.

Not trying to be argumentative. I was with the understanding that you had done an AHC sensor lift? And that your previous to airbag towing experience was what was questionable?

My only point is that a stock setup that has not been modified, will handle heavy trailers just fine. Airbags are a nice insurance.

Not trying to be argumentative. I was with the understanding that you had done an AHC sensor lift? And that your previous to airbag towing experience was what was questionable?

My only point is that a stock setup that has not been modified, will handle heavy trailers just fine. Airbags are a nice insurance.

Agreed Im asking you to explain to educate.
We can all agree when weight is added AHC pressures readings go up. I have done something to help compensate for the higher pressures and your claim is its not needed. My point to the OP poster is without knowing what your pressures are, trailer in tow you could be at dangerous levels stressing the system. Even though you feel it works OK for you does not mean your pressures are correct and not stressing the system is my point. I would not want to see the OP 1/2 through his trip only to have the AHC system fail due to high levels so I suggest to check his pressure measure for safety and reliability, nothing more.

I don't have tech stream so I have no idea what my pressures are. I'm adding the weight distribution hitch, a brake controller, and hitting the road. The system was designed for this and I have no intentions of overloading it. I'm sure there are 1000's of people who have no clue about AHC pressures at all yet tow regularly. What you don't know can hurt you. But since I have no idea what my pressures are I'll live in my ignorant bliss. When I hitched her up the other day I expected it to ride like xxxx as Phil said but was pleasantly surprised how nice it was.

I don't have tech stream so I have no idea what my pressures are. I'm adding the weight distribution hitch, a brake controller, and hitting the road. The system was designed for this and I have no intentions of overloading it. I'm sure there are 1000's of people who have no clue about AHC pressures at all yet tow regularly. What you don't know can hurt you. But since I have no idea what my pressures are I'll live in my ignorant bliss. When I hitched her up the other day I expected it to ride like xxxx as Phil said but was pleasantly surprised how nice it was.

Safe travels :)

Hey Shaggy, I'm trying to decide on a Travel Trailer. Your 4000lb dry Micro Lite looks interesting.
How well is you LX470 towing that TT??????

Hey Shaggy, I'm trying to decide on a Travel Trailer. Your 4000lb dry Micro Lite looks interesting.
How well is you LX470 towing that TT??????

So far I've towed short distances. Getting the brake controller installed right now. The weight distribution hitch will be here today. I'll know more after this weekend. I'm taking it about 3.5 hours away. Mostly flat area with a small climb on Rt 50 outside of Winchester Va.

So far I've towed short distances. Getting the brake controller installed right now. The weight distribution hitch will be here today. I'll know more after this weekend. I'm taking it about 3.5 hours away. Mostly flat area with a small climb on Rt 50 outside of Winchester Va.

What year LX470?
Your towing configuration is stock plus Weight Distribution Hitch only?

2002. And yes it's all stock with just the brake control and WDH.

Thats fantastic - 2002 same as mine.
Do let us know your towing impressions.
When I get my TT, it will be mostly towed due East to the Outer Banks.

You probably already know this ... the brake wire connection to your Brake Controller is not at the switch on the
Brake Pedal -- instead its behind the left side panel cover where the foot rest is. You going with the Prodigy
Brake Controller ???

Thats fantastic - 2002 same as mine.
Do let us know your towing impressions.
When I get my TT, it will be mostly towed due East to the Outer Banks.

You probably already know this ... the brake wire connection to your Brake Controller is not at the switch on the
Brake Pedal -- instead its behind the left side panel cover where the foot rest is. You going with the Prodigy
Brake Controller ???

I got the Primus IQ

Anyone have any experience on the difference in towing power between the 230 hp version and the 275 hp 2006-2007? I'm curious how much of a difference it really makes? I don't use my LX's to tow since I have a duramax suburban but wondering for the future if I change.

So I didn't have time to get my WDH setup before my trip this past weekend. I did have my brake controller so I hitched up the camper and hit the road. The AHC handled it beautifully! The LX has no problem towing this load. I was mostly on flat land with a steep but short climb on RT50 outside of winchester Va heading east. I have no problems towing my Travel Trailer with this setup.

Trans temps averaged 175 and it was very hot outside this weekend.

Engine temps were a little warmer than I'd like but that started before my towing here as it's been getting hotter. A new thermostat should cure that. I never overheated and I'm sure with some preventative maint on my cooling system all will be well.

It's not a powerhouse towing but gets the job done. Having said that I believe I would not want to tow anything heavier than this. Don't need to take it to the limit you know.

AHC stayed in N position the entire time! Never dropper to L and was smooth.

Glad to hear your experience was a positive one. I've equally enjoyed towing with mine.

I just fine it funny how the common perception is that AHC is weak and brittle. Quite the opposite really if it's in a good working state, which it likely is if stock. Modifying if fine too, but just requires an awareness of how to setup and take advantage of the AHC system.

Got any pics of the setup?

Glad to hear your experience was a positive one. I've equally enjoyed towing with mine.

I just fine it funny how the common perception is that AHC is weak and brittle. Quite the opposite really if it's in a good working state, which it likely is if stock. Modifying if fine too, but just requires an awareness of how to setup and take advantage of the AHC system.

Got any pics of the setup?

Near the bottom of page 2 of this thread.

This is great Travel Trailer towing metrics.
You are towing a 4,000 lbs dry weight dual axle trailer with a 4-speed transmission 2002 LX470.
And no WDH yet, and towed just fine.

I think the TT I have been looking at that are 3500 lbs or less should be A-OK.

Last edited:
I keep the OD off and keep my speeds at 55-60 mph. I only got about 9.5 MPG though but thats to be expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom