Best Roof Top Tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The idea of a roof top tent is new to me. l I have spent most of the evening reading differnt threads on roof top tents, but I'd like to ask you guys who know much more about them, which one would be the best investment for the money. I went to numerous web sites,and none of them actually listed any prices, but from several of the threads I found, looks like you can own one between $800 - $1000.

I'll probably mount one on a trail trailer (yet to be built) rather than roof top of my 40, but would like to have it where it could also mount on fiber glass topper of my F350 and use it I haul the ATV's for a weekend of trail riding.

Thanks for you comments.

The idea of a roof top tent is new to me. l I have spent most of the evening reading differnt threads on roof top tents, but I'd like to ask you guys who know much more about them, which one would be the best investment for the money. I went to numerous web sites,and none of them actually listed any prices, but from several of the threads I found, looks like you can own one between $800 - $1000.

I'll probably mount one on a trail trailer (yet to be built) rather than roof top of my 40, but would like to have it where it could also mount on fiber glass topper of my F350 and use it I haul the ATV's for a weekend of trail riding.

Thanks for you comments.

For that price range here is a great option:http://car-top-tent.com/products.asp

This is how I have mine set up.
f_DSC00699m_db1a245.jpg

I can't open your pic. Just a white box with red x in it.

I think that Tex and AATLASS has one for sale in the For Sale Section.

Skillet has the first generation and the second generation tents. I have the second generation tent. It is on my 60 now but will be going on my SPEN trailer very soon.

What do you want to use the tent for? Climate, altitude, long or short trips? Car top or trailer? Whet type of vehicle (make and model)? Will you leave it permanently mounted, or not? How many people do you need to sleep in the tent? Budget?

Mike S

Thanks for you comments.
ive had my Eezi Awn roof tent for over 10 years. I brought it on the plane with me from south africa while my wife and i were visiting her family. Ive camped in it in baja for weeks on end, been camping in the sierras (tahoe) in the snow (woke up with 6" of snow on the tent), back in the deserts in wind storms, and pretty much everything else in between.

The best part about it is its durabality and being off the ground, and when the weather goes to s***ola, usually everyone around in ground tents packs up and leaves while we in the roof tents just climb in and enjoy nature at its best.

In dec 2005, my buddy and i were camped in baja about half way down on the pacific side during a big swell, and the wind blew so hard off shore that ground tents with peoples stuff in it were literally being blown away. about 15 of the 20 people that were camped left and we just climbed in the eezi awn, waited a day for the wind to die down, and were treated to some of the best surf we have ever had and it was just us and a couple others. Thats when we knew we would never camp again without a roof tent.

AFter that trip, he bought one for his wife and himself and has never looked back.

Go for it - u wont be disappointed.

Last edited:
What kind of front bumper is that? Looks nice

hi,
i'm wondering whether rooftop tents can be a hassle if you stay in one place for more than one night, as you will have to pack it up each time if you want to use your cruiser. Anyone using the tents that fit on the back over the tailgate? I like the idea of the trailer top tent!
regards,
fred

I have a columbus and it will pack in less than 4 minutes easy. 1 of the best things about it.

hi,
i'm wondering whether rooftop tents can be a hassle if you stay in one place for more than one night, as you will have to pack it up each time if you want to use your cruiser. Anyone using the tents that fit on the back over the tailgate? I like the idea of the trailer top tent!
regards,
fred
i would say there are 2 downfalls to roof tents.
1. You do have to collapse the tent anytime you want to drive somewhere.
2. Getting the tent on/off your roof everytime you want to camp. - they're heavy for 1 person, unless you can rig up a pully system in your garage for storage and lowering it onto your vehicle.
2.5. Rack system - you have to have a solid rack/mounting system to your vehicle if your going offroad anywhere - starndard bars dont cut it.

That said, for my eezi awn, it takes about 4 minutes to collapse everything, fold it up, and put the cover on, and thats with the standard thin mattress it came with, a novaform topper, 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows.

The best solution is to have it on a small trailer so that the trailer can be permanantly set up at camp allowing you to use your vehicle for whatever you want.

I have nothing to compare my Technitop with but I've slept in it about 25 nights this year. It stands up to wind pretty well but can not be set up by one person in a gale. The fly simply turns into a sail. Its good in the rain. The portion of the plastic base that folds out is subject to condensation and eventually a wet mattress ( cumulative after many days) in cooler conditions. It sets up fast and takes a bit longer to pack but it gets better with practice. It feels much bigger than other tents because of how the walls go out rather than in.
tent.jpg

i would say there are 2 downfalls to roof tents.
1. You do have to collapse the tent anytime you want to drive somewhere.
2. Getting the tent on/off your roof everytime you want to camp. - they're heavy for 1 person, unless you can rig up a pully system in your garage for storage and lowering it onto your vehicle.
2.5. Rack system - you have to have a solid rack/mounting system to your vehicle if your going offroad anywhere - starndard bars dont cut it.

That said, for my eezi awn, it takes about 4 minutes to collapse everything, fold it up, and put the cover on, and thats with the standard thin mattress it came with, a novaform topper, 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows.

The best solution is to have it on a small trailer so that the trailer can be permanantly set up at camp allowing you to use your vehicle for whatever you want.

Not true in all cases;)

2. EZ to remove and install just add $125 to your cost
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=165172&highlight=rtt
2.5 I use the factory roof rack with no issues. I have had 450lbs in the tent plus the tents weight and with no issues.

Quote from J-man
"That said, for my eezi awn, it takes about 4 minutes to collapse everything, fold it up, and put the cover on, and thats with the standard thin mattress it came with, a novaform topper, 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows. "

Wow, that is fast! I just installed my eezi awn tent and took it for a spin in Big Bear last weekend.

My question is: How do you close it with both the standard mattress and the novaform topper & all your gear? I left two sleeping bags laid out flat side by side and two small pillows carefully placed and it was hard to close and put the cover on. It does not help that the tent is almost seven feet in the air. I do use a small step ladder! It could be that because it is new, it is still a bit stiff.

On a side note: Almost everyone at the campground must have stopped by to comment on the tent! They were all amazed that I would be sleeping on top of my car.
01.jpg

In my Technitop I can't leave anything in it or I have to close it like an over loaded suit case and it bulges after that. I've come to the conclusion that the manufactures stretch the truth and you actually can't leave bedding inside them.

I think the Autohome tents are the only ones this isn't true of.

In my Technitop I can't leave anything in it or I have to close it like an over loaded suit case and it bulges after that. I've come to the conclusion that the manufactures stretch the truth and you actually can't leave bedding inside them.

I think the Autohome tents are the only ones this isn't true of.

Maybe some of you with more RTT experience can clue us in on how to proficiently pack a fully loaded roof tent.

Leaving in the bedding along with an additional foam topper would make the tent very lop sided when closed, not to mention trying to get the cover on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom