I can see! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My OEM (yes, still the JDM) lights were really starting to bother me. I was actually avoiding driving at night because they were so poor, even worse in the rain.
After seeing Sailors HID conversion I was sold, and now finally have it done. Best upgrade I ever had done!

The old lights, I often turned on my factory fog lights just to be able to see the road directly in front of me. With the new HIDs, I can't even tell if the fog lights are on.

I have now removed then and replaced them with wax candles in front of a convex mirror. I do not want some crazy redneck driving straight at me!

Last edited:
Yep- works good. John did a helluva good job aiming them as well. Drove the truck today for the first time in a while, forgot how good the lighting is...

are you both running the same brand same wattage ,and ya bump for ateb. i dont understand the rateings, on my bike the boys at motoconcept,a northvan bike shop,they said that this paticular bulb would work best for the gs model even though it was the lower candle power , because the bulb sets better in the houseing better. and wow were they right,on high they are twice as bright as any of the guys i ride with and they all have the premium projector lights.

I'm still running the old school lights, one is an H4 and the other a sealed beam (after a rock took out one of the H4s I didn't want to replace the pair). They suck, both of them do, I've been toying with the idea of an upgrade but here are the issues I have with H4 type units: during water crossings water gets in through the back and I have fish tanks with blown bulbs, if a rock hits them no one is selling just single replacements so you're on the hook for a pair. I know I can get an HID conversion for H4 round 7" lights but is it worth the cost and hassle?

On a different topic but related to night driving, I've noticed that when it's raining my windshield has this hazed look to it right after the wipers pass, and it does not go away right away, if I shut them off then the haze goes away after a second or two but on continuous wipe it's always there. As soon as I have incoming traffic or street lights it's brutal. Anyone else have this issue? solutions? I've tried different wiper blades (including the new Rain X ones), cleaning the windshield with anything from windex to speciality glass cleaner, I'm about to give up and stop driving while it's dark and raining.

I don't know which brand I have- I was about to purchase a set in Richmond at that Yaohan or whatever thinking I'd install 'em myself when I called John on an unrelated matter so I asked him about it. He had a set with stainless ballasts rather than the plastic I was looking at for the same price so I went with his. My high beam is largely superfluous now because the lows are so strong, but I think aiming is critical. I have DEPO reflector style lights as well, don't know if that is a factor.

If I ever get on a long rambling road trip again these will be awesome, there were a few occasions on the Death Valley adventure that even with the PIAA bulbs on high and the HELLA driving lights as well that I couldn't see. I don't know how Lance managed with his set up- Well, he drives by feel anyway?

On a different topic but related to night driving, I've noticed that when it's raining my windshield has this hazed look to it right after the wipers pass, and it does not go away right away, if I shut them off then the haze goes away after a second or two but on continuous wipe it's always there. As soon as I have incoming traffic or street lights it's brutal. Anyone else have this issue? solutions? I've tried different wiper blades (including the new Rain X ones), cleaning the windshield with anything from windex to speciality glass cleaner, I'm about to give up and stop driving while it's dark and raining.

I have this problem on my newer Yaris windshield replaced last year and it helps when I spray the windshield with my washer fluid to help break up the grime or whatever it is that settles on the windshield.

In a good rain, it's clear all the time. I only get that 'film' or haze when it first starts raining. Also, give your wipers a wipe with 600grit paper and rubbing alcohol may also help.

I'm also using an alcohol-based (more environmentally friendly you know) washer fluid I got at crap-de-ter and it works very well to keep it clear. Costs about $5/jug (green fees).

Hi-jack off

I run good sealed beams in my '42 and they work well enough for me, can't recall what brand but they were about twice the cost of the cheapies. Are sealed beams even an option in the newer trucks?

yes exactly good thing that alchohol works the best .{ oh fantom you might want to try the hid at least you could still drive on rainy nights}jeff said. sorry couldnt help it . so your saying some hid you cannot get wet. my bike lives outside ,got over 100,000 km mostly bush or bad road on the lights not a single problem.and they have been under water more than i care to admit,ballist and all. also my lights are on all the time so they have been submerged when on. i remember them saying that this kit was off road specific being that it was thicker or something to do with shock resistance. and it was cheap. motoconcept jason and rennie tell them your a landcruiser guy and george sent you.604 929 2454. not to sure if they can help ,but probably worth the call.

Last edited:
Mat
I have the Hella H4 with the 24 volt 75/70W Hella bulbs. Best lights I have had - very bright and I do not not overdrive what I can see. My reflectors have a tight fitting formed rubber gasket holding the bulb socket in place into the reflector. Never had any water in the housings. ATEB put them in.

Mat, try vinegar. Yes it smells but it cuts the road grime and its cheap. I also routinely add ammonia to the washer fluid in the summer becuase that seems to do the trick with mushed bugs on the window.

As for HIDs, we have had many discussions about them on IVOAC. People thought they would be an easy way around the issue of RHD headlights in a LHD environment. There have also been many discussions about this on BC4x4. Bottom line is the conversion kits are illegal unless it includes a complete HID Kit: lamp housing, lenses, wiring, etc. Everything has to be swapped out. Did John do this?. If not, he may want to reconsider doing these (and publicizing it) as it is not legal in BC (or anywhere in North America. See HID Kits: What You Need To Know and/or Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply). He wouldn't want any licensing authority to find out. All it takes is an accident and one adjuster/estimator noting the illegal HIDs and John and the owner will have problems.

Personally speaking, HID conversions into halogen housings are one of my biggest pet peeves on the road. Nothing like being blinded from the front or someone following you. Almost took out a herd of deer one night just past Williams Lake because of being blinded by a truck with HIDs. I couldn't see them on the road until I was right upon them.

As for HID advantages/disadvantages, have a read of this Daniel Stern article: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply You'll see that they also aren't that great as for the person using them. If you are having problems with seeing closer to you with regular halogens, then you can always aim your driving lights or fog lights closer in to compensate.

I installed HIDs a few months ago.
I wish I did it sooner

I am with the nissan dude on this, on the highway there are way too many people with way too bright of lights, if peope can't see at night with regular lights then they shouldt drive in the dark, but insted they buy stupid bright lights (The blue ones are the worst) and bilnd everybody else. I usesly drive stratit at these peole and turn off at the las second so that I dont go off the road. And the retartds with the fog lights on all the time piss me off too.

And the retartds with the fog lights on all the time piss me off too.

If the retards took the time to aim them, then they probably would not bother you. All they need is a measuring tape, some masking tape and a copy of the regs (or read the install directions). But no, most people slap them on and aim them high for long distance. Of course, that kind of negates the whole idea of fog lights as the beam has a wide spread and is not suited for long distance. :doh:

HID shouldn't really be used unless it's in the proper headlight. There's a bit required... to have the proper reflector type, glass type, and the auto leveling feature. That's why aftermarket HID lights you see so often in mall cruiser F350s blind the crap out of you on the highway when the Acura TL doesn't.

I got DEPOT lights for my cruiser when I passed it through DOT inspection. They work pretty well, especially the brights on the highway.

I'm still running the old school lights, one is an H4 and the other a sealed beam (after a rock took out one of the H4s I didn't want to replace the pair). They suck, both of them do, I've been toying with the idea of an upgrade but here are the issues I have with H4 type units: during water crossings water gets in through the back and I have fish tanks with blown bulbs, if a rock hits them no one is selling just single replacements so you're on the hook for a pair. I know I can get an HID conversion for H4 round 7" lights but is it worth the cost and hassle?

Matt,

What bulbs did you have when you attempted to submarine Hale Creek? I seem to remember being able to tell by your lights if your truck was level or not. Those bulbs didn't fare too well.

Its nice that you can see, the problem is with 99% of the HID "retrofits" no one on coming can. I almost ran over a guy on a bike because some a****** in a truck had HID slapped in and I was blind. I could not see a thing past him i.e. guy on the bike i missed him by inches.

I have Factory installed HID's on my G35 and there far and away better than halogens but you will not find me putting HID's in the LX.

Its illegal for a reason......its not safe for other motorists on the road.

I'm with Jim, I hate bastards that are all about seeing for themselves and don't see how it affects other drivers. I usually just close my eyes when passing one of those bums. I put 100 watters into my BJ42 a while ago, and I made sure I adjusted my lights to point a little towards the ditch.

I have now removed then and replaced them with wax candles in front of a convex mirror. I do not want some crazy redneck driving straight at me!

Hehehe :p

PS. The Government is rarely correct!

thanks for the advice guys.

I have the same issues with wankers and aftermarket HID kits when they are not aimed properly. I usually turn on all my lights (including floods) to make a point and prove that driving into something like that sucks and is dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom