Blaupunkt thin line speaker install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
My front passenger door speaker gave up. I ordered a set of Blaupunkt "Thin Line" speakers, model THx652. Got them on Ebay for $72 shipped. They are 1.65" deep, where most speakers are 1 7/8" to over 2" deep. Well, despite being "thin" they were still too thick to clear the brace inside the door. I had to use a 1/4" thick ring spacer to get them to clear. They are 6.5" in diameter and fit the hole in the door perfectly.

With the spacers and the door panel back on, the panel bulges just slightly over the speaker. The spacers I got from Best Buy were scrap (free) and different from each other and I think one is slightly thicker, so I may replace it.

However, they sound awesome. I disconnected the tweeters in the dash and the Blau's sound very clear and vibrant.

Here's the OEM speaker next to the thin Blau.
DSC01206.JPG

That OEM speaker is one funky looking speaker. The concave-up design is opposite what most other speakers look like. This is the reason why almost everyone needs spacers to fit replacement speakers.

There's hardly any part of the OEM speaker that goes back towards the brace in the door well.

CruiserLegolas said:
That OEM speaker is one funky looking speaker. The concave-up design is opposite what most other speakers look like. This is the reason why almost everyone needs spacers to fit replacement speakers.

There's hardly any part of the OEM speaker that goes back towards the brace in the door well.

It actually looks like that b/c it's a reverse firing speaker, hence the ability for the stupidly small size provided to us in the door, making speaker upgrades a headache. Also the reason why with many songs the bass is a little bit hollow, winded, and weak.

Only 2 thing I wish the Japanese would have taken from America on the 80 build.

1.) # of cup holders (really who only puts 1 cup holder in an 8 seater)

2.) Speaker depth/size

otherwise, good times

Sam:beer:

FZJfillmore,

How did you disconnect the tweeters in the dash? I have been meaning to do this for a while since one of mine is blown.

Thanks,

Joel

PKP80 said:
Only 2 thing I wish the Japanese would have taken from America on the 80 build.

1.) # of cup holders (really who only puts 1 cup holder in an 8 seater)

2.) Speaker depth/size

3.) Good power windows

JZenger said:
FZJfillmore,

How did you disconnect the tweeters in the dash? I have been meaning to do this for a while since one of mine is blown.

Thanks,

Joel

If I may,

I believe on my 94 the cover popped right out. I removed them alogether.

For the PS one, under the lip of the dash below the speaker grill there's one screw, undo that and pull outwards, the rest of the grill pops out. The tweeter is attached to the grill, unclip the wire in the back and put it all back together.

For the DS it's a little more involved. The speaker is under the steering column in a huge piece of trim plastic. Undo the three or four screws holding that on, pull downwards, and again, the speaker is attached to the plastic. Unclip and reattach trim.

If you need one of mine, let me know.

CruisinGA said:
3.) Good power windows

4. Power Steering better than pre 90 cruisers .. but not the best IMOP.

Thanks for the info. I think I am just going to replace the door speakers like you did and disconnect both tweeters. The stereo system was the one real disappointment with the LX450, but easily remedied.

good timing on this thread Cory. My driver side front door speaker is dead. I know I have the sub woofer in the console on the LX, are the tweeters going to be the same as yours?

troy

speakers

Ive been planning to replace the speakers in my truck. This is helpful.. One question though: I looked at the space where the tweeters in the dash go - there seems to be a good amount of space in there. Why not put a good set of tweeters in there??

177mph said:
Why not put a good set of tweeters in there??

No reason you couldn't use a component system and do that. I don't know that many of the midrange speakers in component systems would fit in the door. The speakers I ordered are two-ways, so with the OEM tweeters hooked up, it was kind of saturated with highs.

Update on Blaupunkt door speaker

I just finished installing Blaupunkt THx652 and wanted to mention that they will install WITHOUT a spacer, and without impeding the window travel. The key is to mount them to the door panel (cardboard) using the supplied clips. The PS took me 2 hours because I kept trying to use the factory speaker mount screw holes.:doh: The DS took 20 minutes.

And they sound incredible!
doorspeaker.jpg

ptmacp said:
I just finished installing Blaupunkt THx652 and wanted to mention that they will install WITHOUT a spacer, and without impeding the window travel. The key is to mount them to the door panel (cardboard) using the supplied clips. The PS took me 2 hours because I kept trying to use the factory speaker mount screw holes.:doh: The DS took 20 minutes.

And they sound incredible!

Exactly - doing this same install shortly - using Blau ThinLine's

I used some Cadence Neo series 6.5 components and the also fit without spacers.

I'm looking to go another direction. I installed 4 Eclipses, an Alpine Head unit, an Alpine amp, and Alpine 12" sub about a year ago. The amp only powers the sub.

I'm on my 2nd set of front Eclipses, and DS is crackly again.

I want to keep stock appearances, Infinity makes a slimline sold at Circuit city but it's not advertised. I think it may be the same as Eclipse?

To top it off, Alpine is doing some funky things. I don't want to drop the coin, but I may go with a second amp and some component speakers and call it a day. + another head unit.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom