Finally - Measurements for my Tire Carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eicca

Professional Noob
Threads
Remember this? Well I finally got around to making measurements for the thing...

painted.jpg

IMG_0348.JPG

TireCarrierDiagram.png

All of the length measurements are slightly long to allow for error. Measure twice, cut once. The square tubing is 2" outside diameter and 3/16" thick. I recommend beveling all edges that will be welded to ensure good penetration.

A. This plate is 1/4" thick, I recommend using 3/8". I got the markings for the holes in the right place by taping a paper over the rear bumper and doing a crayon rubbing over those holes, cutting them out and tracing them onto the metal. Can't remember which bit I used to drill, but the holes must accommodate a 12mm bolt with 1.25 thread pitch, lock washers and stuff recommended. Keep in mind that on the crossmember, the top holes are threaded and the bottom are not. See the above linked thread to see how I attached the lower arm to the plate. That was done with 1/4" slabs.

B. This was the secondary mounting point on the rear crossmember. 1/4" slab. Required some drilling on the vehicle. The further out you can get it, the better.

C. Spindle from IPOR. Have fun cutting the holes for this one...

D. The horizontal going to the hub. Make it long enough so your tire will actually fit on...

E. This plate is for padlocking the tire to the hub. See the above linked thread for a picture of exactly how it works.

F. The hub. I did a crayon rubbing of the rim hub, took another 1/4" plate, cut and traced the holes, then welded in some lug studs I got from Napa. Measure carefully, getting this one wrong really sucks :bang:

G. Gusset supports. I welded these on the back side of the tubing so they won't interfere with the tire. Didn't exactly measure these, just found some metal lying around and welded them on.

H. The swing stop, just a small slab welded to the upper arm to stop the thing when it swings shut. Just behind it I welded a small block of metal that the swing arm will rest on when it is close to take the load off the spindle.

As a note, you'll want the vertical piece at least 21" from the spindle so the tire doesn't smash into the pillar when you swing it far enough to open the tailgate. You will also want it to sit between the main mounting plate and the secondary mount point.

When it was all done I primed it and spray painted it with something designed for metal that I got at Ace, can't remember exactly what. But I recommend at least three cans and a crapload of coatings. It's held up really well.

There you have it. Now go weld :hillbilly:

You rock! Thanks for all the hard work putting this together for us!

The pleasure is mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom