Rear axle job and pics. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
Hey all:

Rook2 and I are working on a rear axle job/rear brake job write-up and I just wanted to post some pics. of the job that I took last week.

The full write-up is in the works and will be done soon--promise--with the requisite pics. and explanations.

Here are some of the trucks--Rook's got a LX and mine is a regular LC.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH
P3210051.JPG
P3210082.JPG
P3210085.JPG

Some more pics...

Before the job, hammer to hub to break loose the cone washers, and the axle coming out...
P3210053.JPG
P3210054.JPG
P3210057.JPG

And some more...

pic. of the lock nuts that you use the SST for and that you adjust for the pre-load at the end, a pic. without the rotor, and a pic. after the hub is off (note the e-brake mechanism inside--mine is due for a rebuild...talk to you soon Dan!!)...
P3210065.JPG
P3210067.JPG
P3210068.JPG

Last edited:
And some more...

Pic. of the dirty hub, hub without bearings, and of all the parts after the removal
P3210069.JPG
P3210071.JPG
P3210074.JPG

yet more pics...

Hubs packed with M1 synthetic grease and the bearings, hub re-attached to brake rotor, hub w/new rotor back on spindle with the grease inside...
P3210078.JPG
P3210080.JPG
P3210087.JPG

yet some more...

Rook2 checking the preload with a fish scale, with the new gasket placed on the hub, and Rook2 pushing his axle back into the housing--carefully!!
P3210090.JPG
P3210093.JPG
P3210094.JPG

last ones--promise

and the final look of the rear axle all put back together sans tire...hopefully a write up coming soon....

Best regards.
-onur
Akron, OH
P3210097.JPG

Awesome. Thanks for the pics. I'll be doing this in the next few weeks.

Ken

Looks great. One comment would be to use caution with a hammer that big to get the tapered washers free. Better to use a smaller hammer and pounding repeatedly as you could concievably flat spot the wheel bearings with that sledge.

DougM

Thanks for the pics dudes! I was going to tackle this very job pretty soon, and i learn best from pictures!

I second what doug said about the hammer. Also one other note,.....i thought i remember hearing speak that when you pull the axles out, to be sure if you have a locker to engage it....i think engage, otherwise something about the spider gear falling down and having to take the rear end apart to get it lined back up. Someone, know what i'm trying to talk about here?

I'd heard that, too. I haven't studied the third member(s) enough to know if this is an issue. I have lockers and didn't even know about this, yet my axles slid in and engaged in seconds at all four corners. I have a bit of a hard time thinking that there's a part in there that's going to fall off without the axle. The third member would be a complete unit that goes into the diff housing and its side gears and spiders would be self contained - ie it's not a pile of loose gears but an assembly.

Dunno for sure, but worth a conversation/thread with someone who's put in a third member to regear or for repair. Christo? Robbie?

DougM

Hey CJ: Yeah, I engaged the rear lockers before I pulled the axles--that way the spider thing doesn't get all squirrely on ya and make it a very difficult time getting the axle back in. Rook2 didn't have rear lockers so he didn't have to worry about them.

Doug--just two decent hits with the hammer did the job. No flat spots at all. I did the same for the front end job and one hit above and one hit from below worked just fine...the hammer isn't a BFH (it's a small BFH... :D ). I was very careful in hitting it square on, with not too much force, just enough to pop the cone washers out.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Good photos. How many neighbors made comment about the “Cruiser” repair shop! What was the total time wheels up/wheels down?

Mark

IdahoDoug said:
I'd heard that, too. I haven't studied the third member(s) enough to know if this is an issue. I have lockers and didn't even know about this, yet my axles slid in and engaged in seconds at all four corners. I have a bit of a hard time thinking that there's a part in there that's going to fall off without the axle. The third member would be a complete unit that goes into the diff housing and its side gears and spiders would be self contained - ie it's not a pile of loose gears but an assembly.

Dunno for sure, but worth a conversation/thread with someone who's put in a third member to regear or for repair. Christo? Robbie?

DougM

IIRC, in an old post Christo referred to it as a lock sleeve or dog gear.

See this thread for more discussion on this, doesn't sound like a route you want to temp faith with:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=13104

Beno: Did you get any pics through the axle for both rigs?

:beer:
Rookie2

Great pics! (except the one that had the aftermarket pads; or at least looks like it)

Edit: On a second thought, it might be the anti-squeal goop overdosed

helocat said:
Good photos. How many neighbors made comment about the “Cruiser” repair shop! What was the total time wheels up/wheels down?

Mark

Hehe... no doubt. I've had her up on jack stands doing one thing or another every few weeks, since I got it. Not many comments about it, other than "what's wrong with it today?" This was on Monday, so not much traffic in and out.

Total time: We started jacking them up about 8:30 and finished cleaning the grease off our hands at about 6:00. Looking back, I'm not quite sure what took us so long, but that was pretty much straight through. I guess cleaning everything up good.

:beer:
Rookie2

so this would be the one time when the lockerless guys actually have one over the rest of us lockerfulls? :D
Bah, let them have their simple pleasures.... :D :D :whoops: :cheers:

Onur,

I wasn't worried so much about flat spots on the housing, but on the bearings which you wouldn't be able to see. The kind of shock you can deliver to the wheel bearings like that is WAY more than even hitting a square edged curb at road speed. Once you've hit it a time or two, the umoving bearings may have displaced their grease and then it's metal to metal from then on. They're designed to roll and spread the load and move grease all at the same time. I'd recommend hard tapping all around more vs hard blows. I'm a little paranoid as I carry an enormous amount of weight back there quite a bit, so.....

Just pointing it out, sounds like you have things under control.

DougM

Thanks for the write up guys. Great pics too and will add this to the faq list. Looks like we need to have tech faqs versus other faqs soon.

Are we required to wear ugly shirts like that or was that just for romantic ambience? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom