Did some digging, found something odd. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was rooting around my car looking at the speaker set up to get a handle on possible upgrades in the future. I look at the two front 4" speaker placements and find 2 things.

1. driver side one under the steering column is not even there.
2. the passenger side has a weird metal box where the speaker should be.

here is a picture.

photo.jpg

There are connectors on the left hand side of the box and looks like matching connector wires unplugged, you can see on in the photo. the wire hanging down on the bottom is the unsused speaker wire. :confused:

advice, opinion, comment, snide remarks are welcome.

thanks guys.

it should be noted that i do have aftermarket pioneer speakers on the door panels. and my first thought on the box is that it is alarm related. but still, help is welcome.

I think the box is the stock amp.. mine was gone when I went to find it.. turns out my "stock" head unit was from a 99 Camry or so and was internally amp'd and someone chucked the old stock amp

I think the box is the stock amp.. mine was gone when I went to find it.. turns out my "stock" head unit was from a 99 Camry or so and was internally amp'd and someone chucked the old stock amp

ouch, thats harsh about the head unit. i have an alpine already in there from the PO...if it is the stock amp...the question is what happens if i plug it back in...and why would the amp be where a speaker is supposed to be. seems odd to me.

You can pick up an adapter at Best Buy or other shop that does stereo installs. Assuming nothing was cut when the PO installed the aftermarket head unit, it should be plug-and-play.

As for it being where it is, it is one of the higher places inside the vehicle. The engine ECU is right behind it. Think deep water fording and the fact that sometimes water happens.:p

ouch, thats harsh about the head unit. i have an alpine already in there from the PO...if it is the stock amp...the question is what happens if i plug it back in...and why would the amp be where a speaker is supposed to be. seems odd to me.

Hah that's the stock location for the amp. Don't sweat it man

Haha. Cool beans. I'll probably just pull it out and put a speaker in there and run an aftermarket amp in the back with a decent sub, maybe in the stock location with a custom box. Thanks guys. Paranoia strikes again i guess.

So, new problem... None of my speakers work now. i have no idea why. I didn't actually fiddle with anything when I was opening up the panels to look at the speakers or lack thereof. the speakers were working a last week when i used the car last (sat radio from PO was still engaged). I had not turned the car on previous to looking at the speakers but when i did, nothing happened except i heard a slight pop through the speakers. It happens every time i turn the car on.
I have no idea what's going on...

I had issue with blowing fuses with the factory amp still plugged in. Check'm. Inside the truck and the ones inside the engine bay.

I'll do that. i'll try resetting the headunit as well. hopefully that'll do the trick.

I had to unplug my factory amp using a Alpine deck. Once I did that everything was good. Hopefully a simple fix and you dont have to track down what was previously installed/clipped/spliced/etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom