Change that FP filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
This has been discussed many times before, BUT I thought you'd like to see pictures. This filter had a bit over 100K miles on it and I only use tier 1 fuel, mostly Sunoco and Exxon.

I took a quick drive and immediately noticed a seat of the pants difference in pep.

The whole procedure took about 2 hours, most of which was spent cleaning the top of the tank to prevent all the accumlulated crap from falling in. I was also doing my best not to spill fuel everywhere, so I went slow.

Pics below are of the access plate in the floor which is easily accessed by removing the 2 center row seats (4 bolts each) and pulling back the carpet. I needed to remove the 2 plastic steps and rear door runners.

Next pic is the old filter next to the new one and associated part numbers. I always replace the top gasket when doing this. Don't forget a new little metal clip that holds the filter in place. It will most likely get buggered when removing it.
AccessPanel.jpg
Parts.jpg

Last edited:
Jon,
I was thinking of doing this very thing last night. My 80 has 179K and I have never been in the fuel tank since I got it. (6 years & 50K miles). I replaced the fuel filter on the frame earlier this year and have been putting off changing the "sock".

Thanks for the write-up with part numbers and pictures.

Did you remove the rear bench seat or can you access the door with the seat folded forward?

The back seats need to come out.

Jon what is that padding on the floor?

The back seats need to come out.

Jon what is that padding on the floor?

That's the McMaster fiberlass insulation. I put down 2 layers from the firewall back to that seam in the carpet. Rearward of the seam I used the thicker heatshield stuff from whatever manufacturer is a sponsor here on Mud. Forgot the name. Didn't want to use that stuff in the footwells where it will get wet and hold water. I have enough rust.

Changed my tank filter a few months ago .I could tell right away.Its a pain in the 62s becuse you must drop the tank. Mike

Thanks Jon I think I will give this a try this weekend. I had forgotten there was even one there. :cheers:

Jon,

I got around to replacing my FP filter today. This is probably the best bang for the buck maintenance item I have done. I should have done this a long time ago. As far as I know the filter has never been replaced. I have 179K on my 80 now.

Notice in the pic that the filter was caved in from the fuel pump trying to suck gas through it.

Easy, rewarding, time well spent. Thanks for the reminder.
Fuel pump filter resize.jpg

How much did you spend on the parts??

time for CDan to make a new package: filter, gasket, little metal clip.

How about it, Dan?

Is the filter also applicable to 93 to 97's?

Yes but different part number than 91-92.

How much did you spend on the parts??

I ordered the same three parts Jon has pictured above for $19.72. CDan's smart shopper discount may be a little cheaper. List price was a little over $23.00, so it's really a no brainer.

Excellent idea.

I wonder if the '91 to '92 socks are inferior to the later. I just gave this a whirl on my '97 with 90K miles and was dissapointed to see the sock in pristine condition other than the amber color. Its a pleasure working on these cruisers as everything is built so well. No corrosion or bitsy plastic parts on the fuel pump bracket assembly and the inside of the tank looked perfect.

The new sock filter was faded yellow a bit from probably sitting around in a hot warehouse for 12 years, but replaced it anyways. I Didnt check the FSM prior to doing this, so missed the 2 metal gaskets that seal off the union bolt to the fuel line that per the FSM are non-reusable, they were probably OK but for a couple more bucks I have cheap insurance against a fuel leak. Now they are on order so I havent reconnected the fuel line yet to see if maybe there is improved performance, but doubt it based on the condition of the old sock which I will keep and possibly reuse in 30 years if Yota is out of OEM parts.

Anyone doing this may want to replace the foam gasket on the service hole cover as well since you are there and its only $12 to keep a nice tight seal....I ordered that as well with the small metal gaskets and should be in tomorrow. I will definately post back if I notice performance gains and hopefully I will so I get something out this job which may have been premature in my case. Oh well, chalk it up to experience and seeing the guts of the fuel tank.

My filter sock for my 62 (over 210k) was nearly pristine also. I don't know if the previous owners did it but it seemed odd that the inside of my tank had no evidence of debris also. I dropped the tank to replace my rusted out lines coming off the tank.

I wonder if the issue with clogged filter socks on older rigs is the introduction ethanal in vehicles (like the 91-92) that were never designed for it, whereas by the later model years I think it common practice and there was a few design changes in the make up the tanks and hoses that significantly reduced clogging effects.

I remember older cars were having a heck of a time, when they first introduced that stuff.

I'd say it probably depends a lot on where the truck lives, where it fills up, and how often it spends time in dusty conditions.

I don't care what you do to prevent it, if you are driving in big clouds of dust, eventually it gets just about everywhere. Including the fuel tank.

Thanks for the write up Jon. My 92 has 295k and has never had either filter changed. I was suprised that the sock wasn't that dirty, and probably didn't really need to be changed, but I'm glad I did it anyways.

I would suggest that anyone who lives in the rust belt also order 8 new screws, PART # 90159-50219. These are the screws that hold the assembly/lid on the tank, 3 of mine where so rusted you couldn't tell they were cross point. I let my screws soak overnight in WD-40 before attempting to take them out, and used a vice grips to grab the heads of the toasted screws in order to get them out.

Had some extra paint laying around too, and thought this would be an excellent time to add some bling to my gas tank access panal. GOT YELLOW!
Gas Tank access.jpg

Thanks for the write up Jon. My 92 has 295k and has never had either filter changed. I was suprised that the sock wasn't that dirty, and probably didn't really need to be changed, but I'm glad I did it anyways.

I would suggest that anyone who lives in the rust belt also order 8 new screws, PART # 90159-50219. These are the screws that hold the assembly/lid on the tank, 3 of mine where so rusted you couldn't tell they were cross point. I let my screws soak overnight in WD-40 before attempting to take them out, and used a vice grips to grab the heads of the toasted screws in order to get them out.

Had some extra paint laying around too, and thought this would be an excellent time to add some bling to my gas tank access panal. GOT YELLOW!

How was the condition of the the rubber gasket? My 88LC was on it's way out, a little brittle. Just wondering how my 94LC would look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom