Hood Vent Installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

I just got my vent back from the body shop where it was painted to match my Sage 40th. Installed this morning.
DSCI1400.JPG
DSCI1401.JPG
DSCI1402.JPG

Nice job!

from a Chevy Lumina Z34

Let's have an under side shot please.

any thoughts on how to prevent rust after a hole is cut in metal?

Por-15 :)

citadel said:

I usually goop the cut with silicone rtv black. or you can use rustoleum to treat the area.

Did you need to cut the hood frame at all? I can't see putting those vents in without doing that. Do you have an underhood shot, or would that reveal too much carnage?:eek:

It sure looks really good in the hood!

Scott Justusson

SUMOTOY said:
I usually goop the cut with silicone rtv black. or you can use rustoleum to treat the area.

Yep both silicone and rustoleum here :hillbilly:

SUMOTOY said:
Did you need to cut the hood frame at all? I can't see putting those vents in without doing that. Do you have an underhood shot, or would that reveal too much carnage?:eek:

It sure looks really good in the hood!

Scott Justusson

Same question did you cut the hood support (hood frame)? :eek: hope not.
Hood Vent.JPG

Sumtoy was right in his previous post, there is no way to install this without cutting into a portion of the hood brace. I positioned the vent in the center to where I had to cut a small amount from a top crossing brace and small piece of the bottom crossing brace. That was the best position I could find to avoid cutting a big chunk out. My body guy should be able to fab a support brace if needed to correct any issues...

Vent sits above and slightly behind the air filter.
DSCI1404.JPG
DSCI1406.JPG

Last edited:
citadel said:
Just paint it. If you use silicone make sure it is not acid cure (I think?) as that can promote rust.

Forgot to mention that I also installed a 12" aux fan... wired to come on with the AC.... the combination of these mods makes a real difference. It is well over 100 in Ausitn Texas and my AC gets really cold even while stopped in traffic.. big improvement in my mind.

What are the Z34 vents made of? Metal, plastic, fiberglass???
I think they look great, but I would try to shorten the vent (i.e. - cut out a couple inches of the middle to reduce lenth) and keep the hood bracing intact. That would be easier for a good body guy to do IMO.

Since your hoods don't come with louvres from the factory :grinpimp:, this is a pretty sweet idea. As far as rust prevention goes, mask it off, and CarQuest or NAPA make a great tractor enamel primer (Rust Oleum does too) that should be your first couple coats, then hit it up with Rust Oleum and tractor enamel for the final couple coats. I say couple because I'm kinda rust paranoid. To prevent metal on metal, there are some black caulk stuff compounds that are pretty good, and/or you can use innertube rubber as a makeshift gasket. Vasaline is good too where you bolt things or whatnot. If you are even more paranoid than me, there are some good rubberized undercoat sprays that will finish it off and protect it like none other. Hope that helps, good luck!

Was wondering what the purpose of the vent is? Functional? Cosmetic?
Are you guys running superchargers and need the vent to dissapate excess heat? Air intake? Just curious.

Pete

I'm installing two of these vents. Can you tell me how/provdide better pictures of the installation (what is used to secure them?)?
:cheers:
Nick

Nick- are the vents plastic? I think if they came black plastic they wouldn't even need paint on my white 80. I'd like to do something like this.

I've seen your Cruiser around my area a few times. I'll try to stop you some time so we can compare. I've wanted to do the same to mine to poss help out with supercharger heat and to cool the A/c down when sitting around. Very nice truck.

awesome. I think it would have been more symmetrical to put a vent on both sides. Either way, i like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom