Pics of 33x10.50's on stock rims and springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many have asked if 33x10.50 tires fit on stock rims and springs and I've always replied, but never put up pics. They're long overdue, and I havn't put up any photos of my '88 anyway, so here it is.

I've loved the tires and the extra lift that comes with them. They've never rubbed on me, but I also haven't done anything requiring a lot of articulation. I wouldn't go hit moab or anything with this setup, but as you can obviously tell, they look a whole lot better than the old (1st pic) worn out stock tires.
_MG_7651.jpg
_MG_7820.jpg
_MG_7824.jpg

Hi thinking of putting 33's on my 61,I only have one question what difference does it make to speed and gearing.
I use my truck for work and need the lower gearing for towing and heavy loads.

:cheers:

Does the spare fit in back with a hitch? I could not tell if you had the spare and a hitch or not. My 31 all-terrains fit, but, the spare is pretty close to the hitch...

Thats good to know actually about the spare fitting. I havn't purchased a new spare tire yet, but knowing this now I think I'll get a 33x9.50. My spare has to be at least 8 yrs old, if not the original, which equals bad news.

nice looking set up.

it doesn't appear that you have the saggy rear end that a lot of our 60's have.

took mine 2 extra leafs out of the front of a 62 spring pack to get my 60 back to stock height all the way around.

nice looking set up.

it doesn't appear that you have the saggy rear end that a lot of our 60's have.QUOTE]

I got it from the second owner with 145,xxx miles on it. The First owner was his brother-in-law and neither of them had taken it off-road or carried a whole lot of weight in it, except temporarily for moving. This would explain the lack of sag in the rear...I think.

I eventually want to put 33's on my 60, but wonder if there would be a significant power loss, did you see difference on the 62? with 4.11 gears you should see less of a difference than a 60 with 3.73's. I think.

Honestly I haven't noticed any difference in its behavior. Power still feels like it should, steering is good, and if my mpg is worse it's only minimal. I couldn't be more pleased.

Don't know about the impact on towing but for auto tranny FJ62, you will notice the difference bigtime in the mountains. I live in western NC and went to 33s about a year ago. I would still stick with the 33s if I had it to do over, but don't daily drive the hills and can take my time when I need to...you will be passed, more than you are now in the hills with stock auto and 33s......great fit otherwise.

Actual speed will be about 15% faster than indicated by the speedo.

Forgive my ignorance being a car guy [and reopening a terrifically old thread!], but when you are talking about "33s" what standard sizing [235/65/15 for example] does that translate to? Guessing that the 33 refers to the overall height of the tire but I'm stumped as to how to "shop" for pricing since I don't know the size. I'm in the market and will want to get some bigger tires on stock height when I find the right one...

Forgive my ignorance being a car guy [and reopening a terrifically old thread!], but when you are talking about "33s" what standard sizing [235/65/15 for example] does that translate to? Guessing that the 33 refers to the overall height of the tire but I'm stumped as to how to "shop" for pricing since I don't know the size. I'm in the market and will want to get some bigger tires on stock height when I find the right one...

Where are you located? Here in the USA, 33x10.5x15 and 33x12.5x15 are readily available tire sizes. The metric equivalent with a 16" wheel would be 305/70-16 (33x12), 285/75-16 (33x11) or 255/85-16 (33x10). I'm not sure if any of those size equivalents are available for a 15" wheel.

You should be fine then. 33x10.5 will likely need to be ordered since most places don't stock them anymore. 33x12.5 is still available pretty much anywhere, and also fits on a stock cruiser (although the wheels are a little narrow for this tire, still works fine, just might wear faster in the center of the tread).

I've read about upgrading to 16" wheels but I'll have to do more reading with respect to spacing etc. I'd rather run a raw wheel than spacers and if I can find 15 inchers that will fit on the stock rim that will be an easier option -- much appreciated

I got my 33X10.5X15 BFG AT's at Sears. See if you can catch them on a sale. I think I paid like $900 for 5 tires installed out the door sales tax included. They might need to order them but they usually get the quickly.

Frank

Hi VentoGT,
Given the responses around speed changes etc above, I thought I would post up my calcs on tire size and effect on speed etc. These figures have been confirmed (to within 1 km/h) by two GPS units. The numbers were taken from the Tire and Rim Association of Australia 2010 standards manual and measurements taken pre and post testing.

The other thing to remember is that depending on the load in your vehicle, vehicle speed, and the pressure you are running in your tires, the tire diameter (or more relevantly the effective radius between the center of the axle and the road surface) will change. For calculation purposes while travelling at speed this is often referred to as the dynamic radius of the tire. The values in the attachment are based on 34psi tire pressure at the driven wheels in a 33" equivalent of 285/75 R16 on a HJ61 landcruiser. The attached calcs also show the theoretical speeds associated with 7.5 R16 LT tires and 31x10.5 R15 tires.

I found that the speedo (Australian model) was set up for the 7.5 R16 tyres and the 31s were too small and resulted in the speedo reading being faster than the actual vehicle speed. The 285/75 R16 tires that I fitted mean that the cruiser (with brand new tyres) now travels at approx 5.85% faster than the speedo readout.

My cruiser has the 12h-t in it so the extra tyre size worked well for me as it is under powered at high revs and has plenty of torque from idle.

Cheers :beer:

Attachments

• 140626_Wheel&Tyre_Upgrade_Calcs-revised.pdf
    212.9 KB · Views: 203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom