OME heavy/heavy on an 89 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
All:

I’m finally gonna install my OME heavy/heavy kit in my 1989 FJ62, so I’ll get this thread started now. Feel free to post up with pointers and advice. (D’animal: Don’t tell me the “A” spring goes on the driver’s side. I already know that! LOL! :D)

I measured the distances from the floor to the top of the fender at all 4 wheels, so I can get a before and after:

Driver Front: 32”
Driver Rear: 31.5”
Passenger Front: 32.25”
Passenger Rear: 31.75”

I’ll try and get some before pics up, too.

This Cruiser has always appeared to me to be pretty level. The stock springs are flat, though, and the ride is kind of rough. One spring has a minor bend in it. I know I have at least a couple of bad shocks, too. So, I bought the whole OME kit (springs, shocks, stabilizer, bushings, A/I shackles, and U-bolts) from Kurt at Cruise Outfitters. I’m hoping this kit solves all my suspension problems, plus makes room for the set of 33x12.5’s that are next on my list.

To help me, I have 4 jackstands, some booster pads, a 4 ton hydraulic floor jack, sockets, wrenches, breaker bar, trouble light, and a grinder. I have a menagerie of other tools, too. Toyrod and Brew8 are a phone call away in case I get into a bad spot. I also have a very understanding wife and family. Oh, and I hit all the fasteners with PB Blaster a couple times, too.

Did I miss anything?

torch and/or sawzall

What did the kit run you? Looking to put one on my '89.

I see you are getting them from Kurt, so I am pretty sure you will get the good OME bushings. Might still be a good idea to stabilize the sleeves in the eyes as per Kurt's suggestion in this thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/201928-arb-dakar-spring-problems.html

I have non-OME bushings, and at least one sleeve has started to slide quite a bit. The proper bushings and fixing the sleeves in place is in my near future.

We had a heck of a time driving the bolts out of the rear spring hanger on the front springs. Had to use Toyrods port-a-power. Mine still sits low in the front(I have the same lift you are installing). 33's are no problem and it rides(and looks) soooo much better. Thanks to Toyrod it took about 4 hours to install.

LOL!

(D’animal: Don’t tell me the “A” spring goes on the driver’s side. I already know that! LOL! :D)

Make sure you can drop you spare tire out of the way.

You will have to loosen or remove the rear tailpipe mount to get the left rear shackle bolts in.

With the tools you have, You should be done in about 5 hours, unless you have some help.

I'll be watching this thread with interest! Mine is on the way from Kurt and I should be doing the install the weekend of the 15th. I've been soaking my bolts with PB for a week now and I just picked up some cut-off wheels for my 4.5 grinder. Thanks for the bushing info RockDoc!

I'll be watching this thread with interest! Mine is on the way from Kurt and I should be doing the install the weekend of the 15th. I've been soaking my bolts with PB for a week now and I just picked up some cut-off wheels for my 4.5 grinder. Thanks for the bushing info RockDoc!

What kind of wheels are you going to put those 33's on ?

LOL!

Make sure you can drop you spare tire out of the way.

You will have to loosen or remove the rear tailpipe mount to get the left rear shackle bolts in.

With the tools you have, You should be done in about 5 hours, unless you have some help.

Are you saying I should remove the spare before I begin the install?

I'll scope out that tail pipe mount.

Thanks for the tips, D'Animal. You are always a big help.

Here is a before photo. I'm removing the previous one. It was reversed.
Driv_Side.jpg

Take good pics

I too am looking at a lift kit soon.
I will be watching with much interest.

x2 on a torch to burn out the old bushings.

I recently installed the OME heavy kit about 3 weekends ago. It took us about 10 hours to install with the majority of the time spent banging the crap out of those old pins from the old bushings. I was too cheap to buy a torch but i'm sure it would have saved us at least 5 hours of work!

I installed the OME heavy/heavy ultimate kit on my 60. Your prep list looks good. I found that the oem steering stabilizer was the hardest part to remove. Wound up using an old school 2 jaw puller on it that fit. All the prying, hammering and swearing for nothing the puller walked it off with ease. Old spring bushings no problem with the gas axe. You will love the way it rides when you are done. Hopefully my 33x10.50 BFG muds will be in Friday. Wheel wells are too empty with the 31's. :beer:Good Luck, Mike

Friday night, gearing up for the install. I had in mind to take lotsa pix and show everyone the progress. Then, I learned that our camera, the one I know how to use, is misplaced. Nice! I tried my daughter's camera, and it is a major struggle just to remove pix from it.

Dang! I'll do what I can on the pix. I inventoried the parts in the kit and did a bit of preassembly. Looks like my kit is complete. (Thanks, Kurt!).

Three hours later.

I have the front pass side spring off and the new one in place. The toughest part so far is getting the axle aligned so the pin in the middle of the spring pack drops into the hole in the plate. I'm quitting for the night and in the morning aligning that thing is job one. Suggestions?

I put the military wrap at the stationary pin. Please tell me this was the right way.

I hate to tell you rust belt area guys this, but this is an all Montana truck. The pins and shackles slid out w/ no problem. The factory rubber bushings are still shiny! No burning bushings. They slid right out.

Ditch the sway bar and it'll be easier to align. I just installe dmine a few months back..and every bolt had to be cut off...so count your blessings.

I use my legs to force the axle where I want it to go :D

Ratchet straps if you need to pull the springs together. Ratchet straps tied to something else solid on the truck to pull forward or aft.

You got the military wrap right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom