'89 FJ62 Misfire/Shuddering Puzzler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All. This is my first time posting here. I've had my FJ62 for 13 years now. It was and remains my dream car and it's been great to me.

Recently, though, I've been having a confusing issue that I would love to get some opinions on. Here's the deal:

When I start the engine cold, she runs great and will continue to run great for as long as I go. But if I stop and turn off the engine for a short period of time (couple minutes to maybe couple hours) and then I start her again (engine warm) she will now have a consistent misfire (shuddering, no acceleration power, rough idle, etc). Doesn't fluctuate - it's like one or more cylinders are just dead. At first I thought it was occurring randomly and maybe it was a failing spark cable, or a loose connection somewhere. But now I know it never occurs when I first start the engine for the day, or when I start the engine after work when it's been sitting all day. So it has something to do with the engine being warm, but ONLY if it was started while hot. Because again, when I start it cold and drive any distance, the engine will get to full temperature and the problem does not occur.

In very very instances (like this has happened only once or twice) the issue will start happening while driving and/or resolve itself while driving. But these cases are so rare that I cannot attribute any specific conditions or circumstances that may relate to them.

I wanted to get some starting-off advice, because I'm worried that, with the nature of how the problem presents itself, it may cause a drawn out fixed-not-fixed game with the mechanic.

Also worth noting, no check-engine-light turns on (and I know the bulb works), so that right there may be a red flag for sensors???

Appreciate any insights! Thanks!

-Markus

You should try the BB lock out method with the EGR. I would also take the EGR valve off and clean it to ensure it’s actually closing, then lock it out.

You should try the BB lock out method with the EGR. I would also take the EGR valve off and clean it to ensure it’s actually closing, then lock it out.
I think you may be right on the money. I put the car in diagnostic mode to see if there were any codes stored in the memory and I got code 71, which I understand to be "EGR System Malfunction". So at least that potentially narrows the search quite a bit. Thanks so much for your ideas!

That fixed up the similar situation I had on our 62. I'm going to desmog, but for now it runs great.

I think you may be right on the money. I put the car in diagnostic mode to see if there were any codes stored in the memory and I got code 71, which I understand to be "EGR System Malfunction". So at least that potentially narrows the search quite a bit. Thanks so much for your ideas!
I sprayed gun bore foaming cleaner (just had it laying around) until it came out clean, and then I rinsed it with water and let it dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom