? for those with Ford powered 40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A little while back I purchased a 76 40 with a sickly 302 Ford in it. Not to worry, have a happy healthy 302 on engine stand. Planning on swapping the sick for the healthy over xmas and was wondering....it appears that I can seperate it (engine) from the adaptor and pluck it out w/o having to remove the adaptor and trans. I am thinking this will work, similar to any old Ford engine removal ? Or... if I seperate it there, will the extension input shaft and extension TO bearing piece plop on the floor with no way of replacing the engine with these extension bits flapping the breeze so to speak. So, those of you who have done this Ford adapted to the LC 4 sp, switch out...it's time to opine. Thanks in advance.

Todd

I see no reason why you can't pull the motor and replace it.

If there is an input "adapter" it can be put back together before you stuff the new one in :)

Thanks Mace...I was just wondering if I was going to get into a chicken and egg type of arrangement with the input and TO adaptors only being (or it is much easier) to install with the AA adaptor housing on the block vs AA adaptor housing bolted to the cruiser bell/trans if left in place.

Sorry to hijack - but are there options for SBF to the toyota 4 speed besides the Mark's 4WD adapter? I'd love to put a 302 or 351 in front of my H41....

Thanks,

Not that I'm aware of.

A little while back I purchased a 76 40 with a sickly 302 Ford in it. Not to worry, have a happy healthy 302 on engine stand. Planning on swapping the sick for the healthy over xmas and was wondering....it appears that I can seperate it (engine) from the adaptor and pluck it out w/o having to remove the adaptor and trans. I am thinking this will work, similar to any old Ford engine removal ? Or... if I seperate it there, will the extension input shaft and extension TO bearing piece plop on the floor with no way of replacing the engine with these extension bits flapping the breeze so to speak. So, those of you who have done this Ford adapted to the LC 4 sp, switch out...it's time to opine. Thanks in advance.

Todd
Everything should stay there like a normal engine swap.Good luck

Engine came out just fine separating it at the block/adaptor interface. The TO extension and input shaft extension stayed nicely in place in the adaptor housing. Only isue now is my happy healthy engine on the engine stand (for 15 years now) is not spinning freely :doh: I have it filled with Marvel now hoping that it will take care of the surface rust and free it up. Also been trying to circulated oil via the pump primer. Now the question is....if it doesn't free up do I rebuild the one I just pulled out, the one on the stand thats froze, or there is a 1992 Injected roller 5.0 not far from me that I can hear run for $400 beans. Decisions decisions :bang:

I'd go roller. And see if all of the injection stuff comes with it.

how many miles on the roller?

Don't know the mileage and am assuming all the injection stuff can come along with it. Is it a big deal to hook it all up ? Everything in the tech links is for injected Chebby swaps, (like Woody's). I am guessing it would be similar, but it'd be nice to have a road map. My Ford motors here are all old school..5 bolt 289 hipo's to be exact :grinpimp: making HP the old fashioned way.

I agree, I do like the roller motors much better than the hydraulic or solid lifted. I am also recalling that there may be a difference in the exhaust port location/height on the heads of the newer roller motors (or I may be confusing it with some aftermarket aluminum heads that I've fiddled with). Mace can you confirm ? As that would cause re-working of the exhaust if they are in different local and I can't bolt on the old exhaust manifolds. I may make the run out to see/hear the roller motor on Sat.

I am not aware of any differences in heads ports.

I am running 5.0 shorty headers on 1969 351 heads on my 5.0.

The nice thing about ford wiring is that it is modular. It is super easy to hook up.

Ford Multiport EFI Wiring Manual

Sweet thanks for the roadmap :cheers: Last question for now, what are you using/how are getting (pumpwise) the fuel from the tank to the injection ?

I am using an intank pump, but there are a multitude of electric pumps available.

I was just perusing the Summit array of choices...I need to run and pick up some beverages for this evening. Thanks for your help Mace :cheers: I'll keep you posted if I pick up the roller.

Update...after much perusing craigs list etc...I picked up an 89 5.0 HO out of a mustang with reportedly 80k miles with speed density puter and harness. I had to order up some misc stuff...50 oz. 64 tooth flywheel, special pilot bearing from AA, hp fuel pump, 02 sensors, in line adaptor to continue to use the MSD 6A...and mostly searching for a decent speed density wiring diagram, as everybody (seemingly) runs the MAF set up. Lots of info on that....SD not so much.

Sooo...yesterday afternoon was show time to put the motor in...wasn't too bad getting it in. Worst part was the drivers side exhaust manifold to steering box clearance really screwed with the alignment and I do this stuff by myself. Thank God for the load leveler or it would have never gone in.

Here are a couple of pics with it bolted in. I installed the puter in the glove box, ran the harness through the firewall so now the fun begins wiring in the speed density set up. I am currently opting to run the old alternator/external regulator set up as that will be one less circuit to figure out at this point. I am hoping to finish out everything and turn the key by next weekend.
five oh2.JPG
five oh3.JPG

Be interesting to see how your fuel mileage is with this motor, compared to the average SBC setup. I don't know much about Fords, but I got an 88 Crown Vic with the 5.0 motor for the kids to drive to community college and am impressed with it. It will consistently get 17-18 mpg when I drive it ( heavy footed son-not as good) and 20-22 on long distance drives. It has the perfect balance of mpg and get-up-n-go for me. Not a hot rod, but it will scoot when needed.

Don

Todays update....we have ignition :bounce: I don't have the radiator in...exhaust isn't hook up, I have to get new 02 bungs and weld them in as the location I had previously selected is very tight to slight interference with the frame rail. For the want of a couple bungs not worth it to fight it. I'll be buttoning it up Sunday morning...before the easter beagle arrives. More later....:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I had a '91 'stang with a mildly built HO 5.0 and it was a great motor. Even with a lead foot, it wasn't irregular to get 19 mpg. Besides a diesel (cummins 4bt or Toyota) one of these would be about the only swap I would ever be really interested in for a 40. Let us know how it turns out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom