overdrive possibilities (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

a friend of mine needs to gear up his FJ 40 with BJ Diffs, he doesn´t want to get bigger then 35"tires...

I remember a Fairy Overdrive for Land Rover Serie, but didn´t they build them for the J4 also ??

and wasn´t there a Toyota Overdrive where you bought a new whole gearbox to reassemble your old 4 speed entrails with the new overdrive gears ???

Are there still any overdrive set ups available?

Thanks for suggestions :idea:

I've heard from someone where you bought a whole gearbox to reassemble but I didn't believe it was true as I had troubles wrapping my head around the whole logic of that. What most people do alongside myself this spring is unbolt the H44 tranny and swap in a H55f 5 speed. The H55f Toyota transmission will bolt to most every engine that would be found in a land cruiser. There are some small things that may need to be done like change the output shaft or something depending on the application. The search and FAQs has ton on a number including this option

Thanks for the answer, but changing to 5 speed don´t you have to change the rear axle `cause of the parking break moving to the axle ??

I tried to find out more about the search --> the computer hangs up all the time.

The Toyota reassembling in a new gearbox was a true Overdrive, strong enaugh to be used with the lower gears too, the bolt on Fairy (I have had it on a Series III landy ) could be just used as a long gear on autobahn...

So anybody knows if there are still bolt on overdrives available??

Johnny,
I think my friend will think everytime he ´s travelling autobahn with the ranger "Tanks to Mud I can hear the radio, thanks to Mud I save fuel, thanks to Mud I can overtake this truck in front of me, thanks to Mud...."

that is just what he´s looking for :clap:

Thanks a lot guys !!

Try marks 4wd adaptors here in oz,it bolts up to the 4 speed,from memory i think they are about 23 percent step up,can be used in all gears but they recommend 3rd and 4th there is a lever in the floor to engage,they were about 1800 bucks[oz bucks] just another option to look at,i am installing one this year when i do an engine rebuild

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom