Gearing options vs rubber overdrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reaching out to the community for information, guidance, and advice.

So here's the back ground of where I am now and what I would like to do possibly:
Start point 1974 FJ40 F.5 J30, 4.11 diff, 31.10.5R15 tires
- Upsized tires to 235/85R16
- Replaced J30 with 81 FJ60 H42/34MM split transfer case
- Mark A carb, seems to run on the rich side by the smell but it is a great improvement over the stock Chinese carbs or a Weber. Plus the secondary circuit is very noticeable, big difference on how the truck runs
- Dobinsons 2" lift, 2 degree caster shim

My COVID project is now mostly done (if there is such a thing), I now drive it to work when time permits and plan to eventually use on mild trails. This is my first build and don't really have a point of reference on what is considered sound or right. It does get loud above 2.5k rpm, I have sound deadening in the hard top cap and raptor lined floors that has made it easier to converse at a mild yell level. I will be pulling the headers and adding a 3FE exhaust manifold with a new exhaust over the winter. I dont want to add any more sound deadening stuff, its a rolling tin can shaped in the form of a brick and I know this. I am more focused on fine tuning the drive line.

Overall the truck runs great, just seems like its running hard to go above 55. It will do 70 with a good run up without an issue but over 3k rpms seems like I am pushing it hard. Its right about 3k at 65 now. I drove diesel trucks for most of my life and I am more accustomed to the lower rpm band. Here are the ideas I have running through my head:
Option #1 (5spd) - I really don't see the need to install a 5 spd, the first gear is lower than what I have now and would be a waste unless I either add an overdrive gear to the split case (38mm case) or swap out the diffs for 3.73s, the overdrive is less than a 9-10% diff (.85) from 4th gear (1.0)
Option #2 (taller tires) - I have the wheel well space for 255/85r16s tires, staying with my current H42 and 4.11 diffs I am guessing this will drop my ratio enough to almost equate either the transfer case OD or re-gearing of the diffs. Will this affect my take off in 1st gear enough to be similar to the J30 first gear ratio (not a fan of the 1st gear ratio in the J30)
Option #3 (split case OD) - also contemplating keeping my H42 and replacing my 34mm case with a 38mm case and adding the 10% overdrive gear while keeping the 4.11s
Option #4 (Diff re-gear) - re-gear both diffs to 3.73 and keep 235/85r16s. Basically same ration as a FJ60. Guessing this may hurt me on trails.
Option #5 (Good enough) - Stop tinkering and trying to fine tune this truck.

know there are many ways to tackle this. It could also be a combination the options available. I do not want to add an additional overdrive transmission. Feel free to add your thoughts and advice on what was tried and what I should avoid.

Does it kill the bottom end crawl start off? Currently I can let the clutch out and it will crawl nice and steady without a struggle and can even roll over curbs without throttle. Thanks for chiming in. Weighing options and cost.

I have an original ‘74 1.5F with a swapped in H42 4 spd and a split case with 3:1 low and 4.1 in the diffs

I run 38’s, first is a little tall but after that it’s great. Rpm’s on the highway are nice. 3:1 low range is nice for east coast wheeling.

That’s to say I would go rubber O/D. My setup is a little extreme but 33-35’s will be nice

FYI, I installed an Orion TC this year. With 3.73 diffs and the effective 4.11 in low range of the Orion, I am very happy with both highway and trail gearing now. But I still don't drive her on the freeway very much.

Put used 3.70's 3rds in the diffs and a 3 or 4:1 gears in the 38mm tcase, or just go to a 5 speed. Larger tires or 3.70 gears will effect low range slightly. Toyota didn't offer 3.73 diff gears.

thanks for the feedback. ref the 3.73, i used to run Chevy's so that's what popped in my mind. Meant to say 3.70's from a FJ60. Still chasing this one as there are many ways to achieve road speed lower rpms but good start off of the line.

FWIW I run an NV4500 tranny (not BudLight!) behind a 350, with 255/85/r16 (33") Toyos.

RPMs are 2,200 at 65 mph in 5th.

1975 FJ40 with stock diffs.

I prefer this tranny over the h55 we put in the '72. Lower 1st gear.

To further complicate the issue, here's Option #6: H41 transmission, 3.70 diffs, and 33" tires. This yields cruising at 2450 rpm at 65 mph, and the granny low 1st gear in the H41 more than compensates for the large tires on the street, and gives you lower gearing on the trail. If you want even lower gears on the trail, put an Orion transfer case on the H41.

1911, thanks for another option. Hadnt considered it.
centerlineseal, i hadnt considered the NV4500. I thought i read somewhere that the F engine didnt have enough to turn the wheels with the 27% overdrive and the slightest of hills.

H41coupled to an 86 or newer split case transfer. Gives you the opotion of overdrive gears for high range and optional low range gears for crawling.

1911, thanks for another option. Hadnt considered it.
centerlineseal, i hadnt considered the NV4500. I thought i read somewhere that the F engine didnt have enough to turn the wheels with the 27% overdrive and the slightest of hills.
Can't comment on that. I haven't had an F series engine in a '40 since 1978!

However, POSER posted an extensive build thread a decade or so ago on putting an h55f behind an F motor. (IIRC) That inspired our putting that tranny behind the ramjet in the 1972.

Reaching out to the community for information, guidance, and advice.

So here's the back ground of where I am now and what I would like to do possibly:
Start point 1974 FJ40 F.5 J30, 4.11 diff, 31.10.5R15 tires
- Upsized tires to 235/85R16
- Replaced J30 with 81 FJ60 H42/34MM split transfer case
- Mark A carb, seems to run on the rich side by the smell but it is a great improvement over the stock Chinese carbs or a Weber. Plus the secondary circuit is very noticeable, big difference on how the truck runs
- Dobinsons 2" lift, 2 degree caster shim

My COVID project is now mostly done (if there is such a thing), I now drive it to work when time permits and plan to eventually use on mild trails. This is my first build and don't really have a point of reference on what is considered sound or right. It does get loud above 2.5k rpm, I have sound deadening in the hard top cap and raptor lined floors that has made it easier to converse at a mild yell level. I will be pulling the headers and adding a 3FE exhaust manifold with a new exhaust over the winter. I dont want to add any more sound deadening stuff, its a rolling tin can shaped in the form of a brick and I know this. I am more focused on fine tuning the drive line.

Overall the truck runs great, just seems like its running hard to go above 55. It will do 70 with a good run up without an issue but over 3k rpms seems like I am pushing it hard. Its right about 3k at 65 now. I drove diesel trucks for most of my life and I am more accustomed to the lower rpm band. Here are the ideas I have running through my head:
Option #1 (5spd) - I really don't see the need to install a 5 spd, the first gear is lower than what I have now and would be a waste unless I either add an overdrive gear to the split case (38mm case) or swap out the diffs for 3.73s, the overdrive is less than a 9-10% diff (.85) from 4th gear (1.0)
Option #2 (taller tires) - I have the wheel well space for 255/85r16s tires, staying with my current H42 and 4.11 diffs I am guessing this will drop my ratio enough to almost equate either the transfer case OD or re-gearing of the diffs. Will this affect my take off in 1st gear enough to be similar to the J30 first gear ratio (not a fan of the 1st gear ratio in the J30)
Option #3 (split case OD) - also contemplating keeping my H42 and replacing my 34mm case with a 38mm case and adding the 10% overdrive gear while keeping the 4.11s
Option #4 (Diff re-gear) - re-gear both diffs to 3.73 and keep 235/85r16s. Basically same ration as a FJ60. Guessing this may hurt me on trails.
Option #5 (Good enough) - Stop tinkering and trying to fine tune this truck.

know there are many ways to tackle this. It could also be a combination the options available. I do not want to add an additional overdrive transmission. Feel free to add your thoughts and advice on what was tried and what I should avoid.
I kept the 4.11 gears and switched to the H55F and split transfer case with a 3:1 low range and 35" tires and my Cummins R2.8 will turn at 2650 if I get it to I-80 or I-25 at 80.

ah yes, extreme options....LOL. If the motor ever goes that would be an option. all great feedback!
Really, check out the Poser thread I mentioned. Good stuff there!

Does it kill the bottom end crawl start off? Currently I can let the clutch out and it will crawl nice and steady without a struggle and can even roll over curbs without throttle. Thanks for chiming in. Weighing options and cost.
Back in the late 80’s I did not like the lowest crawl ratio effect of a 2F and H42/BF1A with 3.70’s and 33” tall tires at all - I ended up swapping out for some 4.11 gears and it helped as expected but I still longed for a lower first trans gear.

The 3.70’s and 33’s did make for much lower RPM’s on the highway but it was lumber some to say the least.

I ended up going with a Chevy 350 ( when the 2F kick’d the bucket cause I was 18 and couldn’t afford to replace it with another 2F at the time ) with a torquey marine cam grind and a SM465 for the granny 6.55:1 low gear and stuck with the 4.11’s but upgraded to 35” tall tires - worked pretty good for Florida type terrain.

After all that, my humble opinion would be to choose an actual overdrive set up with proper final gearing and not rely on the tire size keeping your revs low. I think you will get more enjoyment out of driving it that way.
Let the O/D be an option instead of having no choice and lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom