Bud built rear qurater panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some new rear quarter panels to replace my Bondo covered panels. I am interested in the Bud Built panels since they are so thick compared to stock and should take abuse better. I searched the threads and found a couple that talked about buying them but no reviews from anyone that had them. Has anyone used these and if so are there any fitment issues or anything else good or bad? I never use a hardtop so the extra low weight should not be a problem.

My son has BudBuilt quarters on his '78 40. The quality is very good and the fit is very good; the only quirky thing is that the curves have been formed on a brake in steps so it's not a smooth, continuous curve. At 3/16" thick, they're definitely made for a trail rig so the stepped curve is not a problem.

Last edited:
sameless plug :)

for those people in the upper north east ...a good friend Tyke Moses .... aka "poor wally" does this type of metal work...he can build an entire rear tub...my rig has the 3/16" sides and 1/8" floors ...his sides have no stepping to the steel...a nice smooth curve...

he does alot of different metal work...but...its a build on demand operation...he does not keep supply or ship....see link for a bit more info:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/815-poor-wallys-landcruiser-emporium.html

Do the Bud Built corners mount over the existing sheet metal similar to a crusher corner on a Heep? I am curious what happens with hardtop mounting with these corners.

*Nevermind. Found this thread that has some good pictures.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/pa-appalachian-land-cruiser-association/193980-new-me-66-fj40-3.html

I completely removed/replaced the original sheet metal with the BudBuilt panels. Didn't want to create a haven for rust later on. Helps to be good with a welder when tying into the upper lip. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. My rig still isn't finished (this spring hopefully), but the tub is 90% done. Due to the way I mounted mine, I may have to remove 1-2" along the bottom once everything is done. I used angle iron onside the tub to help support the added weight of the panels and add a little strength to the 16ga sheet metal. I can take a sledge hammer to id now with zero movement and no dent. Can't wait to rock test it...
As far as the corners, the step bending isn't as smooth as stock, but if I wanted it perfectly radiused, I'd use bondo before I'd try to grind it round. I'm leaving it as is.

I like the idea of the thick quarter panels, but I plan on doing a comp cut eventually and don't really want to pay $300+ for a piece of steel that I will cut a bunch out of. Might see if I they can build some custom ones.

i make a template cut the panels to size and the local metal shop rolls them for 20 a pair.i use used steel mostly 1/4 inch.if you want the lip then weld some bar stock around the outer edge.once they are on and painted its hard to tell unless your a cruiser owner.you can weld them into the body or over the old stuff but the radius changes a little .you can cover the corners or the whole side.with 1 4x8 sheet you can do the whole rear body,sides and rockers if you cut it right. or a 2 foot by about 27" piece will make 1 rear panel .good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom