Cold Air Intake Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got to install my K&N Cold Air Intake today. Couldnt be happier with it. After installing the trail grapplers I experienced a noticeable drop in torque and hp. After this install I've NEVER been happier with the way it drives. The boost in hp and torque is substantial and definitely worth $300 and an hour in the garage.

aircleaner6.jpg

aircleaner5.jpg

K&N box and everything laying out.

aircleaner4.jpg

Here's under the hood with all the crap pulled out

aircleaner3.jpg

And here is the removed crap

aircleaner2.jpg

At this point the tube and the heat shield were ready, last thing to do was attach the free flowing air filter

aircleaner1.jpg

Done :)

Does that box seal with the hood down?

Last edited:
yea lots of mud caked in there... , I think the deck plate mod and the K&N filter might have given you something close to this but then still able to seal if you get to playing in the mud. But I am sure we all would love to hear the sound of the engine after this mod. Post a quick video ..

Has anyone (independent) ever done a dyno test on a 100 with a cold air intake? They sound great and that can definitely make the truck seem faster... but, I'd love to see some data that supports the HP gain claims... so when I buy one I can tell myself it's for the performance.

the problem is that the K&N isnt as good of a filter as a paper filter; open intakes aren't great for water crossings either :eek:

HP is something that really isnt important, especially on such a heavy and unaerodynamic vehicle.

open intakes aren't great for water crossings either :eek:

Judging on the amount of mud and crap under the OPs hood, that may be an issue.

HP is something that really isnt important, especially on such a heavy and unaerodynamic vehicle.

Everybody knows stickers give your truck more HP:rolleyes:

:flipoff2:

The one thing I did not like about the CAI, or deck plate was the huge variance in intake temps. One minute it would read 165*F and the next it was back down to 65*F I the freeway. Power also seemed non-existent when the engine was breathing in 165*F air.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

If you travel off road a lot, which it looks like you do, I would use a K&N pre-filter when you do to reduce the amount of mud, water and dirt that reaches the element. I used one on my last vehicle and I was really surprised to see how much stuff collected on the pre-filter in just a couple of days on the trail.

Some where on one of the Toyota Tacoma forums, there is a thread were a guy did dyno testing for the deck plate mod, CAI and stock box. If I remember correctly deck plate mod actually gained the most HP, then stock box then the CAI actually lost a bit of HP.

Not to jump off the LC topic though but I believe most Japanese cars already tuned/maxed out unless a turbo or supercharger is installed.

I know the S2000 only gained about 15 to 20 HP with 15 grand put in to it through headers, exhaust, intake, high temp thermostat and a tune. Come to find out it all had to do with engine coolant temp and timeing. Same with the G35 guys actually lost HP after installing CAIs...

the problem is that the K&N isnt as good of a filter as a paper filter; open intakes aren't great for water crossings either :eek:

After putting my 35s on I could barely make it up a hill...it was definitely neccessary

I definitely didn't notice any real performance gains after installing my K&N FIPK, but that doesn't mean I didn't gain (or lose) a horsepower or two. I am pretty surprised Taylor is realizing such significant "seat of the pants" performance gains however. Good for him!

Overall, if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably pass and spend the $225 elsewhere.

I have never understood this misnomer "cold air intake". For this to be true, it should bring cold air to the engine. Cold air has more o2 molecules per unit of measure thus yielding hp gains. What it seems like this k&n filter is doing is possibly providing a larger surface area for air to permeate and replacing the air tube with a more straight through design allowing for less turbulent flow. By removing the airbox and replacing it with this cone filter, the air is able to pass more freely, but it is still hotter air than when you have the stock airbox pulling air from the fender area.

Using a scan gauge, my friend recorded temp readings both before and after a snorkel install. The temp readings with the snorkel were lower than without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom