98 - 2000 100 owners - Is your Transmission Original or Replaced? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lets see how common the transmission failure issue is for 98 - 2000 models. I have seen enough scattered posts about it to think that it warrants a thread of its own.

- What is the model year?

1. Has your transmission failed?

2. If so, after how many miles on it?

3. Before the failure, was it serviced as recommended?

Last edited:
2000 83,400 miles. Built December First 1999. Original transmission, had the fluid changed at 54k miles, gota get it done again soooooon.

Slight hard shift from 2nd to 3rd, but thats just from me downshifting when i was stupid...i dont do that much anymore. Still feels strong, doesnt slip.

98 105K miles, changed oil at 60 and 90 running strong, only transmission problem was a sticky shifter issue. I had to pry out that little plastic plug and push the button down to free up the shifter. This was at 65,000 miles. I wadded up a Micky D's straw wrapper put that under the little plastic cap and forgot about it until today.

1999 144,000 miles used as a delivery vehicle with 33" tires and 1,500lbs of cargo commonly in the back. Bought at 90,000 miles and changed Tranny fluid every 30K. No problems.

i'm not sure how you know you've had a replacement tranny without service history saying so....but mine is an LC100 january 2005, got it in march 2005 and have done 46,000 kilometres and it's a 5 speed manual.

i've got a four year lease through my salary package where i work and i'm locked in to a 4 year, 100,000km "novated operating" lease which is 25,000km per year which i'm doing easily.

The lease covers major servicing (all the 10,000km servies are included...so 10,000 20,000 etc etc) and all fuel costs (i get a fuel card and have to mention my odometer reading everytime i fill up) and the monthly lease payment is negotiated at the time you agree to doing it and the price of petrol (or gas as you USA guys call it) as i mentioned on another post my lease payment per month was calculated on 85c per litre (Aussie dollars).

i've done mainly highway miles getting to my offroad destinations. I drive to work and it's like only 1.3km away ... i used to walk...but hey... as Aussie summers are hot i prefer to drive...so hte short trips to work aren't good for the 'cruiser, but i balance that with a lot of driving mentioned earlier.

With my 5 speed manual i do notice a bit of "play" with the universal joints which i initially thought was maybe my driving style, but lately i've noticed that even driving sedately i get noises from the uni joints.

I'll mention this on my 50,000km service in a few weeks.
cheers
peter

edit: some people say it's cheaper to get a loan from the bank and pay off the cruiser, but given that the petrol/gas prices when i signed up at 85c per litre which then went up to over $1.50 per litre...and right now it's around $1.25 i am way ahead.

if you want to know how this leasing thang works pm me or search this forum as i posted on this when i first joined this great forum a while back.

Last edited:
2000 Original, no problems: 120,000 miles

2000 Orginal Trans 108,000 miles, M1 Trans Fluid

98, 105k no issues.

98 102k miles zero trans issues.

Update: drain and fill at 107k and 109k with Amsoil universal ATF. Now at 114 with no issues.

Last edited:
98 with 120k, changed at 90k, NP

Replacement

Hi

Had mine replaced at 204K Kms/120K miles due to overheating->converter disintegration->metal parts all over->new unit (ouch...):confused:

Well, I have not seen the A/T light up, but have done long-time slow driving on tracks in hot weather (30 celcius in the shade).

It was otherwise serviced...

Now I change A/T fluid every 30K kms, do not use L if it can be avoided (no lockup, so converter gets hot...) and is still running smooth after another 50K kms - but so was the original A/T...

And I check the A/T dipstick very often... especially after O/R trips...:cheers:

It gave nearly no warning at all before disintegrating.. just a very slight take-off in idle on brake-release, normally it would have a clear tendency to take-off in such a situation, and a nearly not noticeable vibration. So beware if it starts to do so - do check colour of fluid and if anything looks or smells suspicious get it checked before driving any further, mine vent 150 kms more before I got stranded on the freeway..

Regards...

Henrik

98 138K miles

Only issue just recently started and that is that the front end vibrates at idle in gear...

Fluid flushed at 100K, still looks good.

'99 and had fluid replaced twice. Have 124K miles with no problems at this point.

I bought it at 69K...assume its the original tranny. Works fine...other than it'd be nice to have an extra gear with smaller steps between the steps;)...maybe just as soon as hoser, et al, figures out an easy 5sp conversion! Fluid replacement is scheduled for this spring...right after the 90k.

I have 86,000 on our 2000 LX and it is running fine. I had a scare about a burnt clutch smell after a long mountain climb. I realized today, during a driveway oil change, that the smell was univeral joint grease burning off near the exhaust.

'99 LX, 125,000 miles. Fluid drained and filled at 105,000 (before then, I'm not sure what the P.O. did) Running perfectly, with no problems whatsoever......keeping my fingers crossed!

By the way, out of curiosity: if anyone has had their transmission replaced, what did it cost?

'98 132,000 miles, original transmission and routine scheduled maintenance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom