Zero Rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking right now for a cheap quick fix for the frame until I have more time for a full frame restore. There is some rust but not much. Zero Rust looks like a decent product with an easy application process. Anyone have any experience with this product or something similar please let me know. Thanks, Bob

any rust converter applied after grinding/chiping off the flaky bits should work. Then you can paint over the rust converter. Its a good temp job, you just have to make sure that you can chip all the rusty bits off properly first.

Sam

I've just used it extensively on the frame rails, skid plates, cross members, rear drums, and bumpers and have been pleased with not only the ease of application (rattle can spray), but also with the quality of the surface finish. It flashes off quickly and you can recoat quickly.

My rig is an experiment right now: I used the Krylon rust proofing paint on some areas, and ZeroRust on the rest. If the product performs as advertised, I'll be really happy come next spring after the winter monsoon season that is our Oregon winters.

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

I used it inside of my doors where rust had started to form :'(
That was two years ago this month. I was inside the door just a few weeks ago, and was pleased to see that there was no further rust on the surface. Now underneath, it might be a different story, but as I understand it, this stuff seals the underlying rust off from the air, so no more can occur?? It looked just like it had when I finished applying it..I'm pretty happy. Not affiliated, YMMV.
:flipoff2:
Oh yeah, I did prepare the surface for the paint by spraying on and wiping down with acetone.

Zero Rust worked well for me, application is really easy, just clean and spray. It has a nice smooth, semi-gloss black, appearance when cured.

I have been really happy with Zerorust. I did my whole frame, underbody of car and interior floorboards, etc. with it and it came out great. I did it with the brush on application out of a gallon can, much cheaper this way. I had to use a lot of xylol to cut it with as it would flash off quickly. The only thing I did not like about it is mine did take awhile to dry, I think I did however put it on too thick. I would reccomend cutting the solution quite a bit as it comes fairly thick. I would also reccomend doing 2 coats rather than one as the first coat act's as a primer for the 2nd coat as the ZR really adheres well to itself. I always noticed a big difference in the finish after the 2nd coat rather than after the 1st. Also use TSP (tri sodium phosphate) as a precleaner before using the zrust. ZR reccomends this step as a cleaner/degreaser, same stuff as their "prep step" and available in most hardware stores for much cheaper. There are a bunch of pics on my site of the ZR if you interested.

later,

Noah

I contacted the company through their website and they gave me a name of a dealer in my area. They responded within a day.

www.zerorust.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom