Yokohama G003 M/T feedback on 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry for the late reply, hopefully it is not too late!!

I have been running them throughout the past two years (approximately 37,000 KMs) and for what they are built for, they do an amazing job. I never got stuck in mud with these tyres, and mind you i do use them on highway and in the city, so they are more worn out now as they would have been if i swapped out per season. Harshest trains, be it rock, mud, or plain surfaces - always had traction to climb over obstacles without worrying about damaging them.

I would definitely get these again for off-roading purposes as they stand up to the abuse. Having that said, i would like to bring up the following:
  • They are very loud for highway driving; if you are having a conversation you need to speak louder
    • understandable they are noisy for obvious reasons but becomes annoying
    • I often find myself maxing out the stereo volume on the highway to battle the noise
  • Not really good for slushy/icy snowy roads
    • I live in Toronto, Canada and during winter i barely have any traction in city/highway
    • If it is fresh snow and not frozen it does well, but if it is icy and slushy consider your 200 series a drift car
    • Again, not the environment it was designed for to begin with but worth mentioning

Sorry for the late reply, hopefully it is not too late!!

Thank you for the reply and not too late! It convinced me to stay away from the G003.

Bought Nitto Ridge Grapplers instead (in 285/70/17E). Compared to KO2 they are surprisingly noisy. Mud-tire hum is noticeable at 35-40mph particularly. At highway speeds it goes away, wind noise takes over, although depends on the pavement type. So overall they are acceptable and I look forward to trying them off-road. But any reviews that say they are KO2-quiet are full of BS.

IDK, I have a set of both on our trucks at the moment and there isn't much of a difference to be honest. I will say that the NG's will get louder with age/mileage.

G003 are definitely a noticeable tire as far as road noise. The Nittos are fairly quiet, but not nearly as quiet KO2’s. It all comes down to how tolerant you are of the road noise the tires produce. Personally, my music or whatever I listen to is always fairly loud. To me the G003 are fairly quiet for what they are, but I know they will get considerably louder as they wear.

Thank you for the reply and not too late! It convinced me to stay away from the G003.

Bought Nitto Ridge Grapplers instead (in 285/70/17E). Compared to KO2 they are surprisingly noisy. Mud-tire hum is noticeable at 35-40mph particularly. At highway speeds it goes away, wind noise takes over, although depends on the pavement type. So overall they are acceptable and I look forward to trying them off-road. But any reviews that say they are KO2-quiet are full of BS.
KO2s are really surprisingly quiet given their relative aggressive tread (vs other ATs).

IDK, I have a set of both on our trucks at the moment and there isn't much of a difference to be honest. I will say that the NG's will get louder with age/mileage.

@Tex68w, we established you're almost completely deaf! You can't hear 8-speed 1st gear whine, either! So we can't take your feedback on tire noise seriously :grinpimp:

Late to this thread.

Freakin LOVE this tire. A bit of a louder hum than my toyo AT3s, but not unbearable since I've lined my vehicles interior and inner door panels with sound deadening material.

They're monstrous offroad - tons of grip as to be expected compared to my ATs

I'm running 285/75/17 with icon sixspeeds with a +25 mm offset. No spacers.

20210417_110735.jpg

20210420_183718.jpg

I love the looks of this tire and my buddy reports that the performance off-road is exceptional. My only concern is tread life, I have a feeling they will be 20-25K mile tires. I hope that I am wrong because I'd love to put a set of these on the GX next if I decide to keep it.

I love the looks of this tire and my buddy reports that the performance off-road is exceptional. My only concern is tread life, I have a feeling they will be 20-25K mile tires. I hope that I am wrong because I'd love to put a set of these on the GX next if I decide to keep it.
They're far cheaper (60 bucks ea tire) and lighter than toyo MT's or even the louder bridgestone KM3s, so if i even get 15k out of this set ill be ok. I do plan to do a 5 tire rotation every 2k

They're far cheaper (60 bucks ea tire) and lighter than toyo MT's or even the louder bridgestone KM3s, so if i even get 15k out of this set ill be ok. I do plan to do a 5 tire rotation every 2k

Agreed that the price is one of their best attributes, along with their looks.

I am on my second set of G003s .. the first set went to ~30k, going through all of Moab and the Rubicon so that definitely shortened their lifespan. I bet with less tear they could go 50k no problem

AC2C4AE6-FFB3-458C-9259-160CD5B20CB2.jpeg

Thanks for this comparison. Tire opinions are hard to gauge. Silent to one person is deafeningly loud to another. I'm looking at Ridge Grapplers up from KO2 that I run now. I'm ok with a slight increase in noise for some off-road ability (and let's be honest, I also just want the aggressive look). I would love some KM3s, but I think the road noise would be annoying.

Most say that the KM3 is one of the quietest MT's ever made. Just keep in mind that BFG's always measure small and sometimes by a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom