Yet another "what's it worth" thread (1 Viewer)

Buy it or not?

• Jump on it like a fat kid onto a cupcake

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Run like Junk's mama is chasing me

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Maybe, depends on the pics

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • BeefBarley is still ghey as ever

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I know it's only worth what someone will pay for it, but I have to ask. Here's the dirty details:

1 owner 1977 FJ40. Stock drivetrain, 40K on rebuilt 2F w/headers and dual exhaust. Jump seats "fell apart" years ago, has a skylight that doesn't leak. He has and will include a bunch of extra parts including a replacement tranny, a set of 1/2 doors, and other misc stuff. He told me there's light surface rust on the back sill, fenders, and some of the body. He said repeatedly that it's a great rig for restoration, just needs some TLC. He's asking $4500. I'll go see it tomorrow or the next day and will get pics then.

What say the great Mud?

Hi All:

As the saying goes, "this thread is worthless without pics!" :p

-Alan

I agree, $4500 is pretty cheap in my opinion for that. Id like to see the pictures though too...

Good, you all see it like I do. Pics will tell the real story. I'm going over to check it out tonight. :cheers:

Looks pretty good for a 31 year old rig. What do you think?
Apr 22 2008 001.JPG
Apr 22 2008 004.JPG
Apr 22 2008 002.JPG

Bought in Colo Springs. Warn hubs, says it's a OEM sunroof and whitespokers. :hmm:
Apr 22 2008 005.JPG
Apr 22 2008 007.JPG
Apr 22 2008 012.JPG

Has lots of extra parts, including spare t-case and 4 sp, 1/2 Kayline soft doors, extra rear heater, misc knobs, orig owners manual, orig key fob, etc, etc, etc. The 2F runs strong, has a small exhaust leak, and has been desmogged. Still has the jets in the OEM holder. Tranny/Xfer tight, armstrong steering tight. Stripes are free. Roll bar pads are in place. I can't believe how much stuff he has for it. :cheers:
Apr 22 2008 013.JPG
Apr 22 2008 022.JPG

Looks like it sat outside all its life. There might be some considerable hidden rust issues. I bought my white spoker for 3000 and felt like I overpaid a tad and its in better shape than that (but that was 5 years ago). I'd see If you can get it for 4000 and consider that a fair price. But you're way too giddy. You'd pay 10,000 for this thing I know it. You're in love. Just get it and enjoy yourself--life's too short.:cheers:

Looks like it sat outside all its life. There might be some considerable hidden rust issues. I bought my white spoker for 3000 and felt like I overpaid a tad and its in better shape than that (but that was 5 years ago). I'd see If you can get it for 4000 and consider that a fair price. But you're way too giddy. You'd pay 10,000 for this thing I know it. You're in love. Just get it and enjoy yourself--life's too short.:cheers:

Actually, you're correct. I'm slightly giddy because I've never seen a 1 owner and I paid $5K for mine and it wasn't in that good of shape. OTOH, now I know a lot more and would seriously consider offering him $3k -$3500 for it, but with my fleet and family stuff probably not a lot more. I'd pay $10K for one I absolutely LOVE, either a 90% restoration or a 90% + built oneIF I absolutely HAD to have it. I almost pulled the trigger on DaveGonz's Princess recently, but couldn't do it. If I saw these every week, I wouldn't even be thinking about it. :cheers:

I still think $4500 is probably fair, but, Id try for $4000.

If there are no major rust issues besides the rear sill and the cracks near the tire carrier it looks like a $4000. truck to me. How does it run ?

I base my opinion on the fact that I paid $4000 for my 78 which is totally original and runs like an absolute champ, but has a few more rust issues than yours........... (to be:))

I never heard of a factory sunroof tho. I can be corrected on that.

Look at it this way. If you pass on this one how many more are sitting around waiting for you............................................................it's only money............................

It would be tough to find one down here at that price. I'm with the offer him 4k crowd.
:cheers:

The Boat Oar pin striping job is very unique. Looks to be original paint so there should not be any hidden rust other than the factory rust.

Yes, I thought the pin striping was very unique as well, at least I've never seen it.

There are no OEM sunroofs but there were some dealer installed in those years, I had one and it did'nt even leak.

That's what I was wondering. He swears he bought it that way, so I guess it must have been installed at the dealer. OTOH, he also said the Warn hubs and whitespokes were OEM, too. I know that's crap, but didn't call him on it.

Overall, the rust issues look repairable, except for the doors, they're toast. The motor didn't smoke after it warmed up, but I could detect an exhaust leak from the headers when we were chugging up the hill. There was also a small coolant leak at the water pump housing, likely a gasket. Other than that, the 2F appeared to run strong. He said he rebuilt it about 40K ago. There was 33K on the odo, but he's certain it's rolled over once, possibly twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom