Yet another pricing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ceb

Threads
Having spent some time with the LR/RR world where bits would fall off while driving, I'm leaning towards a new LC to replace my current car (Acura) and my weekend/offroad/winter toy.

For the first few years there will be few mods and no abuse - established trails only. Thereafter, who knows, although you won't find me driving around Africa, by myself, without weapons but with $60k+ for gas money in cash, in a shiny new $100k+ Jeep that screams "rich, naïve, white guy". The LC may end up going to the Middle East with me in 6 or 7 years.

So, all that said, here are my questions

Pricing goals, for a new LC, should be in the $76k range, correct? so about 10% under MSRP.
Are there online dealers that sell extended Toyota warranties and maintenance plans? In the Acura world, there are a handful of dealers that sell the Honda and Acura warranties and maintenance plans for a significant discount over your dealer.

Over the next few years, I'll probably be putting 25k miles a year on the LC, so the warranty will be done halfway into year 2. While I know that Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura are generally reliable, my wife's Honda just sprung a $1200 leak that is covered by the extended warranty. Very unusual and I would have fought for a goodwill repair but this is easier. Not sure if I'll do an extended warranty but would like to know my options.

Maintenance plans are also up in the air but in the Honda/Acura world they can pay off for those of us who just take the cars to the dealership for servicing. My 60k maintenance plan cost $850 and that is far less than half of what you'd pay if you just drove into the dealership and said "please do xyz service." Of course you can reduce the normal dealer cost by cutting coupons, knowing what services to ask for (and which to decline) but it is nice to have prepaid everything and just drop it off at the dealership.

I'm not going to do my services myself (no room, time, tools) and I don't have a trusted indy. I've found that if something does go wrong, the indy will blame Toyota and Toyota will blame the indy - you're left holding the bill. You certainly don't want to go to Iffy Lube or the like.

So, to recap;

Price goal $76k?
Is there online pricing for original Toyota extended warranty and maintenance plans?

I paid $77,500 for a 2016 in February. The thing is I live in the Bay Area and could actually not get one in the color combo I wanted and ended up buying one on eBay from a North Carolina Toyota dealer (I checked it out in person first). I didn't negotiate too hard as I had been looking for a truck since November and had already sold my prior vehicle. It was listed on eBay for $84k (or something like that). My initial bid was $76k, which they did not take, and then I worked my way up to $77,500 and got them to split the shipping cost with me. Overall, it was a smooth transaction.

I can't speak to the maintenance plans.

When they tell you "geeze it's only a couple thousand more" tell them they are correct and therefore a good reason to take your offer......

When they tell you "geeze it's only a couple thousand more" tell them they are correct and therefore a good reason to take your offer......

Turnabout=fair play!

Oh man reading your Acurazine posts for years and some of the abuse you take there. . welcome... This should be fun...

I have a TSX wagon.... welcome to the LC world

Can I see more pics of your pups? I have a black standard poodle. /hijack

Been great dogs.
Fraternal twins & just turned 10 yrs .

Christmas Card (took about 12 takes to get this).

P1030052_zpsqhjxkedv.jpg~original

Land Cruising

P1020788_zps4293df3c.jpg~original

Oh man reading your Acurazine posts for years and some of the abuse you take there. . welcome... This should be fun...

Small world huh? The TSX wagon was (is) one of their best cars.

Long relationship w NSX & MDX + others over the years.

Owned 3 LC 100's before Acura. Wife has a '15 MDX and is happy.

P1020812_zpsef38a45e.jpg~original

You're right. It will be fun :)

Having spent some time with the LR/RR world where bits would fall off while driving, I'm leaning towards a new LC to replace my current car (Acura) and my weekend/offroad/winter toy.

Pricing goals, for a new LC, should be in the $76k range, correct? so about 10% under MSRP.

Are there online dealers that sell extended Toyota warranties and maintenance plans? In the Acura world, there are a handful of dealers that sell the Honda and Acura warranties and maintenance plans for a significant discount over your dealer.

We sold our '08 Acura MDX and bought a '13 LC, so welcome!

You can find a lot of info on the invoice price as well as available dealer incentives (probably none) online. $76k is probably low/zero margin for the dealer, but some dealers are low margin/high volume and so they're happy to get the LC off their lot rather than have it sit for months and cost them interest to the bank while they wait for a premium buyer. Others won't negotiate much and will wait for the wealthy buyer (Chicago area dealers seem to be that way).

As others mentioned you may end up wanting to negotiate a deal with a remote dealer and have them ship the vehicle to you. I actually had mine shipped from TX for $500 as part of the deal (AutoNation will ship anywhere in the country, kind of like CarMax). Since you're looking at a '16, it will be new and fully warrantied so IMO there's not a big reason to fly somewhere to check it out first. Dealers will happily order one for you as well, though again the price you get depends on the negotiation. If you want a good price when ordering, just make sure you have a few dealers in your area selling them or find a remote dealer that has one you want so that your local dealer believes he has some competition.

As far as a warranty goes, Toyota recently changed their rules so dealers can't resell Toyota VSA's out of state, though you can go to the finance department at any dealer you want in state to buy one. Most folks around here will tell you that for mechanicals they are a complete waste of money on an LC. Personally I bought mine because of the electronics and a few negative experiences I had with my MDX (nav system, sensors, etc). I paid about $1250 for a 7yr/100k platinum VSA ($0 deductible) for my LC (though we only average about 10k/year). If you do get the extended warranty remember that they are a HUGE profit center for the dealers and they are highly negotiable.

Woo-hoo. My first "like" here.

And herein lies my dilemma. Do I keep the wagon and add the LC or do I dump the wagon? It has 50k on it and drives and looks like new but I don't really need two vehicles. I'm going to be doing several trips to UT/CO/NM every year that would include a bit of driving on, shall we say, unconventional roadways. Logically, keeping the wagon makes sense since the wagon is a great daily driver, but the back seat is tiny and I periodically drive with 3 or 4 others in the car.

Speaking of space, how much does the middle seat adjust? The specs don't really address that.

Yep, this forum seems far more civilized than Acurazine. Let's see if we can change that :)

And herein lies my dilemma. Do I keep the wagon and add the LC or do I dump the wagon?

Sell all your vehicles and keep only the LC!

(This coming from the guy who has a family of 5 and only one vehicle).

We live in the city. My wife DD's the LC and I take the train into work. We bought an LC because we tow a >5000# camper. The LC is truly a one-size fits all vehicle for us (parallel parks reasonably well as it's nearly the same length as the MDX, handles snow great, tows like a champ, and rides well. Honestly the only reason I'd keep an extra vehicle is gas mileage.

Woo-hoo. My first "like" here.

And herein lies my dilemma. Do I keep the wagon and add the LC or do I dump the wagon? It has 50k on it and drives and looks like new but I don't really need two vehicles. I'm going to be doing several trips to UT/CO/NM every year that would include a bit of driving on, shall we say, unconventional roadways. Logically, keeping the wagon makes sense since the wagon is a great daily driver, but the back seat is tiny and I periodically drive with 3 or 4 others in the car.

Speaking of space, how much does the middle seat adjust? The specs don't really address that.

Yep, this forum seems far more civilized than Acurazine. Let's see if we can change that :)
I keep the wagon and LC

Then again with 9 cars and 4 bikes, I am not the most rational person to ask

If the wagon gets decent gas mileage it gives you an alternative on that front, but the LC is sooo comfy on long roadtrips it's hard to leave that at home...

If the wagon gets decent gas mileage it gives you an alternative on that front, but the LC is sooo comfy on long roadtrips it's hard to leave that at home...
The tsx wagon I put on 3500 miles on road trip is way more comfortable than the LC/LX

Not to mention the 650 mile range which I love

The tsx wagon I put on 3500 miles on road trip is way more comfortable than the LC/LX

Not to mention the 650 mile range which I love
My TSX wagon is more comfortable on long trips than my prior 335xi BMW (awful, awful car) but I really think it depends on how many people are in the car. For 1 or 2 people in the car I would certainly agree but I doubt that back seat passengers would agree. But you're right, the range of the TSX exceeds the range of my bladder.

My LS600hL is the best road trip car

However the tsx wagon is fantastic when mpg is taken into account which was mentioned by @T4Runner

Then again I finished a 11 hour road trip on my 1199 panigale

Have wheels will travel

So I'm reviving my three year old pricing thread with a couple of questions I couldn't find by searching.

I've been away from this forum what seems like ages - but - I spent a significant amount of time in Lexus badged 2010 LC in Iraq. Yes, it was that taxi beige and I spent every day in it for about two years. Now that I'm back, I'm thinking about getting one again.

So, my questions:

Are there any differences between the 2016/17/18/19? From what I can tell there are zero differences. Any differences in the equivalent Lexus over the years?

Any of those years to avoid for some sort of reliability issues? The 2010, with iffy maintenance, was rock solid and I was never worried about it breaking or getting stuck even when we were 10kms from an active firefight with ISIS (we were civilians)

Any issues with a 75lb GSD getting into, or standing up, in the back (3rd row seats folded)? With the ARB drawers?

Do the 3rd row seats remove without issues (i.e. leaving unsightly holes or rattly panels)?

Do the 2nd row seats move? It was tight'ish in the back of the 2010 and I never thought to see if there was an adjustment because we had the third row up with somebody back there.

TIA

I got a 2018 white/Terra in Los Angeles a few months ago for $74,500. We haggled the hell out of the dealership. We had one in San Diego asking $100,000. If you have time there are good deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom