Yet another over heating at my wits end thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes you read it right this is another over heating thread. After making fun of the owner of the 60 plus page over heating thread the karma has come back to bite me.

Here is what happened today: I normally never over heat and the cruiser even has the upgraded blue fan clutch with 20 fluid. Normally i have to push it pretty hard to get it go pass 210. Today I decided to take the 80 for work and need to make a 170 mile round trip. Started normal enough but I noticed the 80 was running hot when going slow or stopped, this is with 70 degree outside temp. I thought it was weird but when speed picks up the temp drops. As the outside temp gets higher the over heating got more servere. More than once the AC even was cut out......this has never happened befor.

Thinking maybe the fan clutch has issue I found a hobby shop and got a bottle of 30k fluid and did the parking lot surgery and dumped the whole bottle in to make sure it locks. And it does, the fan roars the entire time! But if I start the engine the temp shoots straight pass 200......so now I am thinking tstat. There is no leaks and radiator seems fine.

Here are my questions:
Would tstat fail suddenly and not open? (It was fine last time I drove it 5 days ago)
If tstat is bad then why would the engine run fairly cool when at speed/higher air flow? Wouldn't it still over heat because circulation to the radiator is blocked off?
Anything else that could cause this sudden over heating problem?

Quit stealing my thunder! :flipoff2:

I was wondering why you didn't show up today. I got to sleep in so I wasn't about to complain ;)

What's the temperature differential between upper and lower hose? If it's huge then yeah, blockage somewhere.

Come by in the morning and we can monkey with it.

With those symptoms my bet would be water pump. Cooling at speed would be more a function of pump rpm and water flow than airflow.

Please bear in mind that this diagnosis is worth exactly what you paid for it though...:meh:

Thinking maybe the fan clutch has issue I found a hobby shop and got a bottle of 30k fluid and did the parking lot surgery and dumped the whole bottle in to make sure it locks. And it does, the fan roars the entire time! But if I start the engine the temp shoots straight pass 200......

If you are alarmed that the temp shoots up right after starting it up when it it is warm, that is normal. But it should come down within 30 seconds. After adding in the fresh oil to the fan, does it still overheat? I have had to change out the oil in my clutch for a second time. I noticed that after 1.5 years that the 15000 oil wasn't working like I remembered it when new. Fresh oil brought back that long loud fan roar at start up.

With those symptoms my bet would be water pump. Cooling at speed would be more a function of pump rpm and water flow than airflow.

Please bear in mind that this diagnosis is worth exactly what you paid for it though...:meh:

But at the stop light even with fans roaring and I kick the empty up it doesn't really cool down.

Again this never happened before today so something trying to figure out what would suddenly fail.

But at the stop light even with fans roaring and I kick the empty up it doesn't really cool down.

Again this never happened before today so something trying to figure out what would suddenly fail.

So, what's the chances the radiator, A/C, tranny cooler cores are partially blocked with mud, leaves, bugs, small pets, or road trash like a plastic grocery bag?

Water pump or head gasket

Just for the tstat?!? Dude don't bother. I'll pick you up one at the dealer tomorrow. On your truck it will take 20 mins from beginning to end. Just come over. I'll be back at the house by 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom