Yellow insulation in hamster fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My heater fan started making a loud noise when running on high. So I pulled it and found a large clump of yellow insulation in the "hamster" fan. Today I found some yellow insulation on the engine air filter. The outside air side of the filter not the engine side of the filter. Where did it come from and am I dealing with a mouse somewhere in my '98? Or some other issue?

I'd definitely be leaning towards a mouse in the house. I had one sneak into my rear drawer system a couple years ago and a bug bomb solved that. He simply left the truck but I think it took the starch out of him as I have not had a problem since.

Any change you ran into road hazard (flying insulation)?

Not since I've owned the truck. I have trapped 3-4 mice this fall in my garage. Found acorns and little piles of sunflower seed hulls under things and in my roll around tool box though. I'm leaning towards the mouse theory though. But where could the insulation have come from. All of my home insulation is blown in cellulose. If there is no yellow fiberglass insulation in the vehicle then the road hazard idea has merit. Anyway no sign of a nest in the vehicle.

It's as mouse for sure. Do you haven water heater or any appliances in your garage? I'd remove any food source you might have in the garage... Birdseed, dog food, etc.

There is yellow insulation in the truck. The back of the firewall insulation at least, and likely elsewhere. I had mice in the HVAC fan and found they were getting in through the sides of the HVAC intake. I fastened some heavy screen (hardware cloth) to keep them out of the opening right next to the hood hinges (visible when the hood is open). That area serves as a place to flush out junk (seeds, leaves, etc.) that get through the top of the HVAC intake louvres along the back of the hood. So far nothing has clogged up my added screen, but I do check once in a while. I've had no luck posting photos here from my iPhone, but if I ever figure that out, I'll post a photo.

Ok, thanks! I'll check out the HVAC intake. Good tip about the hardware cloth. No water heater or food in the garage. No signs of mice lately either.

DSCN0139.jpg

Here is the location where I put the hardware cloth to keep the mice out of the HVAC system. This area is under the hood, directly next to the hood hinges on both sides. The opening was originally just large enough for a mouse to get into the vent and then into the fan. Made a huge mess. This screen keeps them permanently out.

they chewed my spark plug wires too... :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom