Yaesu 8900 extended transmit mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris,

These radios have a Serial port. The USB cables you are looking at, probably have USB on one end, serial on the other. If you have the right cable, all you need is the software.

For cables, I use Welcome to ttl2usb.com products. They make a nice usb/serial adapter, plus cables for many radios.

As far as Yaesu software for my mobile radios, I use Bob Freeth's software from G4HFQ Radio Programming Software

For my handheld, I use Jim Mitchel's VX Commander, Jim Mitchell - KC8UNJ

The nice thing about using the USB2ttl adapter is that you pay for the USB converter once, and then all you need to get for each radio is a $10 cable.
This way there's only one USB to Serial adapter driver on your computer.

Regards

Alvaro

Chris,

To program the FT-2800, I use this:
G4HFQ Software - FTB2800 Details

The cable you posted is to program a FT-7800/FT8800, not a FT-2800.
The FT-2800 is programed by removing the mic and connecting a cable in it's place. The cable on your post has different connectors.

Regards

Alvaro

To program the FT-2800, I use this:
G4HFQ Software - FTB2800 Details

The cable you posted is to program a FT-7800/FT8800, not a FT-2800.
The FT-2800 is programed by removing the mic and connecting a cable in it's place. The cable on your post has different connectors.

Right. Thanks Alvaro. I was confusing things. :p I have both a FT-8800 and an FT-2800. I'll pick up the USB cable and software for the FT-8800 and eventually I will get the cable and software for the FT-2800. :D

As far as Yaesu software for my mobile radios, I use Bob Freeth's software from G4HFQ Radio Programming Software

For my handheld, I use Jim Mitchel's VX Commander, Jim Mitchell - KC8UNJ

Yup and yup. Both are quality programs. For those looking to buy programming software for a Yaesu radio don't even think about using the junk Yaesu recommends. If you don't believe me, be a sucker and try it or read reviews on eham.net.

So your desire is just to receive on the frequencies ouside the band? Or are you trying to make the radio transmit on AM in those freqs?

So basically were hooped and need to have more than one radio hey?

You will be far, far better off with a $50 CB and a good 2M (or dual band) HAM radio. I have bought 5 or 6 CB radios at garage sales for $2 or less (usually with a cheapie mag mount.) You need to be licensed for the HAM radio. A lot of local 4x4 clubs and groups still use CB but you will be surprised how many guys are becoming believers after seeing the benefits of 2M communications for off-road use.

-B-

Sorry about this naive question but isn't this a "extended transmit mod"? I assumed that meant that you can hear and transmit on freqs that the radio didn't allow from the factory.

Sorry about this naive question but isn't this a "extended transmit mod"? I assumed that meant that you can hear and transmit on freqs that the radio didn't allow from the factory.
The mod allows non FCC compliant radios to transmit out of the ham bands. For those that are "authorised." Search is your friend...

The nice thing about using the USB2ttl adapter is that you pay for the USB converter once, and then all you need to get for each radio is a $10 cable.
This way there's only one USB to Serial adapter driver on your computer.

And it will work for a GPS too!

are there any simmilar radios that can both receive AND transmit on FM as well as AM? im looking for a unit I can use when wheeling, but also use for work (Airband)... and id rather not have to dish out for two radios...

The mod will not allow you to transmit on AM.

First, great mod and nice write-up (especially for a super-novice beginner like me).

Second, for all those asking, I think if you want access to a wider portion of the HF band and also AM/FM/UHF/VHF receive AND transmit, you should look at the Yaesu 857 and/or 897 radios. George just installed one of these and posted up about the features in the past day or two. I think they are in the $600-700 price range (US$) which is a lot more than the $300 I paid for my NIB 8900, but I don't have nearly the coverage of these radios (though this great mod gives me more on the receive side). But I DO have cross-band repeat which is why I chose the 8900.

Third, is the "blocked" cellular band in the US the same in other countrys? I only ask b/c when I was in New Zealand one of the trucks had a Yaesu and I read through the manual while riding shotgun and there was no mention of a block cellular band.

For cables, I use Welcome to ttl2usb.com products. They make a nice usb/serial adapter, plus cables for many radios.

Alvaro,
The guy behind TTL2USB is a Cruiserhead. I don't think Rob is on 'Mud though, but he was planning to go to CM08. Something came up and he couldn't make it.

-B-

That's so cool!

Alvaro

Alvaro,
The guy behind TTL2USB is a Cruiserhead. I don't think Rob is on 'Mud though, but he was planning to go to CM08. Something came up and he couldn't make it.

-B-

Hey Guys,

Worlds are colliding. My cruiser addiction meets HAM radio. ttl2usb is me and my buddy Joel's (who usually goes to most cruiser events with me) business. We have been making these USB adapters since 2005.

If anyone is interested in an adapter, we are going to start offering a 15% TLCA and IH8MUD discount.

We are kind of low tech on the discount front, so just make your order and let us know and we will credit you the discount.

Thanks,
Rob

Crap, NOW this happens, after ordering adapters for both my FT-8800R and FT-60 last summer. Oh well...

I'll put a plug in for the TTL2USB adapters, they work great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom