Yaesu 8900 extended transmit mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Guys,

Worlds are colliding. My cruiser addiction meets HAM radio. ttl2usb is me and my buddy Joel's (who usually goes to most cruiser events with me) business. We have been making these USB adapters since 2005.

If anyone is interested in an adapter, we are going to start offering a 15% TLCA and IH8MUD discount.

We are kind of low tech on the discount front, so just make your order and let us know and we will credit you the discount.

Thanks,
Rob

Now that's an offer!

Contrary to popular opinion, I've had no issues at all with the RT Systems software and cables for my 8800.

About to pop for a VX-7 and will look into your product and the Commander software.

Any issues with your serial to USB if I've already got drivers for the RT systems cable USB/Serial drivers on the computer?

Hi...

I just modified a FT8800 radio for extended Tx and got a strange problem:

The MAIN radio does not receive at all !!!! The SUB radio works perfectly but on the MAIN side nothing ! No S-meter, no noise when squelch is open and the "BUSY" indoicator continuously flashes, just as if the MAIN PLL was out-of-lock ! I reinstalled the jumper (Yes, it is a jumper, i measured it with an ohmmeter !) and everything came back to default. Both RX'es ok but no extended Tx.

Has anyone ever experienced something like that ?

Thanks for your attention...

Hi guys
I know this thread is kind of old but maybe someone can still help

I would like to purchase a FT-8800R and then perform this mod on it but the country I live in imports the EU version.

Does anyone know if the European version has the same jumpers/diodes/resistors or whatever haha as the US version? and If I must remove the same front jumper?

I can not find any mods that refer to the EU version

Thanks In advance

TX range

Hi

Can someone tell me what is the TX range after this mod?

Nadika

Hi

Can someone tell me what is the TX range after this mod?

Nadika

If you mean frequency range, Post Number 17
Couldn't tell you. Here's what the mod leaves you with on the FT8900. There may be more but this is what I'm sure of.

TX: 28-29.7 / 50-54 / 144-148 / 150-170/ 430-470 MHz (USA)
RX: 28-29.7 / 50-54 / 108-180 / 320-480 / 700-958 MHz (Cellular blocked in the US)

TX: FM
RX: AM/FM
If you mean transmit distance, there will be no change.

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help.
I would like to know if the FT-8900 can have the TX extended to work in the 476-477 range?

Good thread. I'm thinking about one of the Yaesu all band radios like the 857.

As a point of information for guys wanting to transmit out of the ham bands, here's another option: Part 90 radios are really easy to buy and program. They'll legal on both ham bands (part 97) and non-ham bands (part 90), so long as you are licensed on those frequencies. Additionally you can legally talk on the MURS frequencies (limited to 2 watts).

I use the Icom F5021 and F3021 which share the same software. We use them on commercial frequencies in which we are licensed, MURS frequencies, and the 2 meter ham frequencies. The only catch with the Part 90 radios is that they're not programable "in the field". You can only program them with software. Another catch is that they're never sold as multi-band radios.

This being said, I've done the extended Tx mod on all my HAM radios (i.e. part 97 radios) incase I need them in an emergency situation. But I've never used the part 97 radios on non ham freqs.

Question about ft-8800r

ft-9800 mods is said to same is it true before go do it. Also when this mods is done what dose it give me in ham bands. Because some mods are done for reason other then ham. But as ham what dose this mod give me? I was told i get 220/ and frs and that it. Is the mod worth it. Thy de radionut119

please help. 8900

Hi guys, im new to this form. but i just did the mod you posted on here to my yaesu 8900. took a small pare of pliers and removed the 2 diodes shown. after i did this now my radio will not power up. please help if you have any ideas on what happened.

tank you
Brad

Crush the diode?!

The right way to remove those is to unsolder them, not pry them off the board with pliers.

Id like to bump this thread and see if people are still doing this mod successfully. Looks like on this other forum one person mentioned if u remove both resistors that it opens up more frequencies. http://www.radiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13616

Has anyone done this? Looks like the post a couple above mentioned he removed the resistors with pliers. I wonder if he ever got the radio working and what one can avoid doing to fry their 500 dollar radio.
By the way, so glad people on this forum aren't getting flamed for wanting to do this mod. If u asked this on one of the ham radio forums u would be burned to a crisp lol. I like the idea of having communications capability when were far away in the middle of nowhere. I don't believe many here have malicious or illegal intentions.

Another radio that would fit in here is a Kenwood TM-V71A. It could do UHF, VHF, MURS, marine, public safety, and they can receive to 1.2GHZ. They are so nice that I have a few and I like them way better than all of my Yaesu UHF/VHF radios. Most radios now will receive out of the amateur bands anyway so the mods don't change that part much.
The Comet-NCG CA2x4SR or CA2x4SRNMO has a wide bandwidth that is perfect for this thread. (I have a few of those too lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom