Xtra Cab: Ideas for that space behind the seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
There are times - not many - when I'm envious of the CJ/Wrangler guys. If my '84 Xtra Cab were a Wrangler, there'd be 15 off-the-shelf options (from Tuffy, Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge, etc) for storage/speaker boxes for that space behind the seats. I mean, I guess the jeeps do need to carry lots of spare parts and tools.

I may make a box. The project would be fun. I want a place to store straps, jumper cables, first aid kit - the typical stuff - and, a couple speakers. I'm not looking to rattle the windows. Just a small amp and two 6x9s or 6" rounds. I'm envisioning three sections - two smaller sections on the sides for speakers, center section for storage... maybe. Or, a lower section for speakers and little amp and the upper section for storage.

Anyone seen or built something similar?

Ken built this cool shelf in the back of my truck. It sticks out farther than the OE one and is much sturdier. He put anchors to tie down crates full of stuff.

dsc_0125-jpg.1859975

No speakers in mine but I made a hanging organizer. It attaches to the rear bulkhead and has pockets etc for storage of 'stuff'. Tire plug kit oil, brake fluid, knife, saw, spare fuses, U-joints, vac hoses, zip ties, blah, blah, blah. You get the idea. Still leaves space for winch bag, welder bag, sleeping bag and myriad other stuff behind the seats. I'll have to go take a pic and add it later.

100_2303.JPG

100_2304.JPG

That’s where you keep all your guns!

Added pix.

No speakers in mine but I made a hanging organizer. It attaches to the rear bulkhead and has pockets etc for storage of 'stuff'. Tire plug kit oil, brake fluid, knife, saw, spare fuses, U-joints, vac hoses, zip ties, blah, blah, blah. You get the idea. Still leaves space for winch bag, welder bag, sleeping bag and myriad other stuff behind the seats. I'll have to go take a pic and add it later.

View attachment 2056955

View attachment 2056956

Looks good ferg! You got any pictures of the whole truck?

Coyote Lake trail Sierras east of Fresno

P3220131[1].JPG

In it's 'better' days, before dents and neglect(on my part)
Hybrid 80/85Xcab, bed shortened in front 12" to fit short bed frame, GM 4.3L, R150, MC dual case 2.28/4.7, ARBs, Link Arc, two compressors, last Smittybuilt in-cab cage sold by 4wpw, $25 junkyard front bumper, Ramsey R8000, no radio or working a/c.

P3220131[1].JPG

Last edited:
Digging the storage ideas. These make me wonder if having a box - a permanent box - behind the seats will actually create another storage issue. If two of us take the truck on a trip, and that space is already occupied, where do the duffle bags, tent, etc. go? Seems like my next project is going to end up being a weather-proof box for the flatbed... for when when I don't have space in the cab.

Digging the storage ideas. These make me wonder if having a box - a permanent box - behind the seats will actually create another storage issue. If two of us take the truck on a trip, and that space is already occupied, where do the duffle bags, tent, etc. go? Seems like my next project is going to end up being a weather-proof box for the flatbed... for when when I don't have space in the cab.

I use three of these medium size military medical boxes:
medium_medical_chest_158173_ts__71616.1390894787.1280.1280.jpg

You can find them pretty cheap as surplus and they have a rubber gasket like an ammo can. Totally dust / water proof and you can keep all of your gear stored in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom