WTF is wrong with my steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We've had a couple cold spells in the last month. After a really brisk (for us) 10 degree (f) morning, I can out and started the LX470 and let it warm up before pulling away from the curb. The steering was difficult only at 10 and 2 in the rotation. The rest was a little more difficult, but otherwise close enough that I may just have chalked it up to the cold. Since then, even on warmer days (50+), it hasn't improved. The steering is difficult based on the clock position of the wheel. Speed makes no difference. The only thing that makes a difference is that after driving long enough that the whole underhood is warm or hot, the difficulty at 10, 2 and a few other places is slightly less. Still really noticeable, but a tiny bit better.

The truck makes no strange noises or any sign of power steering irritation.

I have (with no effect):
1. Lubricated with silicone spray the area behind the steering wheel access doors.
2. Completely flushed the power steering fluid several times with Mobile 1 ATF.

I'm happy to put in a new power steering pump; its an excuse to put in a 130-amp alternator. But the power steering pump cant know what position the wheel is in.

I've read up on rack failures and this doesn't seem like typical behavior. The seals are not leaking, and the difficulty is in the same spots regardless of the direction I turn the wheel.

Any ideas? I'm stumped and search hasn't yielded any clues for me.

I had the same thing happen to me when I recently purchased my 03 470. The problem was there for a few days to a week (sometime only on start up). It has since gone away. I'd love to know the cause of it as well.

Thats funny (and perhaps a little hopeful). I also have an 03 LX470. About 140k miles on it.

Unfortunately mine has been there for about 2 months now.

How old is the P/S fluid? Use Valvoline or similar brand ATF.
Also clean the screen inside the P/S fluid reservoir. Try this one babana job before doing 3-4 banana job.
Check the drive belt condition and tension.

03 + added VGRS Steering gear actuator which had issues. "Steering Snap ring" or pin IIRC, do some searcher in mud. It may be related to your issue provided all else good i.e reservoir screen clean, fluid a good ATF, no leaks, bushing tight and TRE good etc..

I can't be sure on a LHD, but on my RHD there are universal joints on the steering shaft. Worth checking to see if any have got worn and stiff.

My 2002 LX470 with only 33,000 miles has similar issue.
It does not do this every morning but sometimes I feel a
little resistance when turning the Steering Wheel. Power Steering pump fluids were supposedly changed
by previous owner with synthetics 6 years ago.

I can't be sure on a LHD, but on my RHD there are universal joints on the steering shaft. Worth checking to see if any have got worn and stiff.
Along this line of thought if you jack the front off the ground, engine off, and turn the steering wheel through its range you might feel any stiction points due to the joints in the column.

IMHO flush should be done every other oil change. Also check for air bubbles in fluid. While flushing I sometimes get same feel until I bleed.
002.JPG
004.JPG

Last edited:
I did swap out the fluid already with Synthetic ATF.

I think the "in-the-air" diagnosis is a great one. I just installed Spidertrax spacers on the LX this morning (not as straightforward on the front as I hoped) and had a chance, but I can re-lift it.

I can't for the life of me find this little screen that y'all are referring to in the reservoir. Its a total pain in the butt to even see down that tiny hole that the reservoir is filled through.

May be the screen is not a screen any more. For safety wear goggles and spary brake fluid cleaner through that "tiny" hole and see it clears up the screen.

It is very easy to see an unclogged screen.

I can't for the life of me find this little screen that y'all are referring to in the reservoir. Its a total pain in the butt to even see down that tiny hole that the reservoir is filled through.
The filter screen is a molded section of the reservoir, it basically partitions the reservoir laying horizontally between the supply and return ports if yours is the same as my 03s. If you drain and remove the reservoir for an internal clean you'll be able to see it. The screen grid is somewhat course so IMO you'd need a lot of quite large particles of rubber or whatever to slough off to restrict flow.

That reservoir is plastic, not a good idea to to use brake cleaner. Take the reservoir off as there will be junk in the bottom, dish soap should get it clean and then dry it well.

May be the screen is not a screen any more. For safety wear goggles and spary brake fluid cleaner through that "tiny" hole and see it clears up the screen.

It is very easy to see an unclogged screen.

Just did mine this morning. Not too tough, really. The screen at the bottom of the reservior was so caked with CRAP that it's no wonder the steering was garbage.

We've had a couple cold spells in the last month. After a really brisk (for us) 10 degree (f) morning, I can out and started the LX470 and let it warm up before pulling away from the curb. The steering was difficult only at 10 and 2 in the rotation. The rest was a little more difficult, but otherwise close enough that I may just have chalked it up to the cold. Since then, even on warmer days (50+), it hasn't improved. The steering is difficult based on the clock position of the wheel. Speed makes no difference. The only thing that makes a difference is that after driving long enough that the whole underhood is warm or hot, the difficulty at 10, 2 and a few other places is slightly less. Still really noticeable, but a tiny bit better.

The truck makes no strange noises or any sign of power steering irritation.

I have (with no effect):
1. Lubricated with silicone spray the area behind the steering wheel access doors.
2. Completely flushed the power steering fluid several times with Mobile 1 ATF.

I'm happy to put in a new power steering pump; its an excuse to put in a 130-amp alternator. But the power steering pump cant know what position the wheel is in.

I've read up on rack failures and this doesn't seem like typical behavior. The seals are not leaking, and the difficulty is in the same spots regardless of the direction I turn the wheel.

Any ideas? I'm stumped and search hasn't yielded any clues for me.
Did you resolve the issue?

The similar issue I had (stiff at 10 and 2)came back. Turned out it was rusty/crusty crap built up in the little universal joint at the end of the shaft before it attaches to the steering rack. I soaked it a few times with penetrating oil, hit it with a wire brush and the problem went away. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom