Steering Flush & Cleaning (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
Cleaning power steering reservoir and flushing it's fluid. Keeps Vane pump and rack & pinion in top condition.

These step will help you get, a better idea on how to.
  1. Power wash reservoir & hoses using a degreaser, before starting service. Makes for cleaner job. Repeat, once all done with servicing/flushing.
  2. Release hose clamps from hoses of reservoir, sliding them down the hoses a few inches. Do not remove hose yet, just insure they turn freely on reservoir nipples.
  3. Pull reservoir out of holder. You'll need to release/bend clip outward, on outside of holding bracket.
  4. Remove cap and pour out fluid into catch cup.
  5. Remove return (smaller) hose, placing hose end into catch can to catch fluid. Tip: Pry gently form back end of hose, to push off it off reservoir nipple. Pulling on hose or excessive force, will break the nipple off reservoir.
  6. Raise front end of vehicle, placing jack-stands under frame to hold up front end.
  7. With end of return hose run into a catch can, wheels off ground and engine off. Turn steering wheel lock to lock (knuckle stops), holding at lock for 3 seconds. Just until reservoir empty, no more. (Note: You can continue turning and holding steering wheel. Which will 95% of all fluid out of vane pump, lines and rack into catch can. Which we do when removing rack, Vane pump, HP line.)
  8. (Skip to step 10, if just flushing). Remove reservoir and clean inside it. Getting screen and bottom cleaned of gunk. I do this once during my first flushing, if reservoir screen & lower chambers clogged. It's thereafter kept clean, by just regularly flushing.
  9. Replace the now cleaned & dry reservoir, and attach suction (larger) hose to it.
  10. Plug return (smaller) nipple of reservoir. So you can fill reservoir, without fluid running out of return nipple. Keep the return hose, running into to catch can (step 5).
  11. Fill reservoir to near top with ATF (I use Mobil 1 ATF) and replace cap. Takes ~1/2 qt. Tip: If reservoir still has a small amount of old fluid in the bottom. Before adding new fluid, just turn steering wheel to remove that small amount. But note: If you remove to much, you'll suck air into suction hose. Which you can do, but makes bleed air out a longer process.
  12. With return line run into a catch can, front wheels off ground, reservoir full and engine off. Turn steering wheel slowly lock to lock, holding snug at lock (stop) for three seconds or more. Takes a little more than 1 1/2 turns to empty reservoir below return line nipple, so watch close. Don't run reservoir dry. By now you'll be seeing clear translucent red fluid, flowing into catch can. Which means system is completely flushed.
  13. Re-attach return line to reservoir. At this point, fluid should be just below return line nipple of reservoir with some fluid in very bottom of reservoir. Tip 1: By titling reservoir, so nipples are tilted upward. Keeps fluid from running out, as you re-attach return line and place reservoir back in its holder. 2: When all fluid was flush/drained from system to replace components such as rack & pinion. I'll sometimes find, I need let fluid sit in reservoir for a little while, to trickle into vane pump. Then turn steering wheel fast from lock to lock, to get fluid moving at first. This help force in fluid through and push out air. Once fluid flowing (sucking) from reservoir, slow turns from lock to lock and hold at lock.
  14. Pour in more ATF to maximum cold line.
  15. Bleed, by turning steering wheel lock to lock, holding at each lock (stop) 3 second, while engine off and tires off ground. Do this 3 times or more, until fluid level no longer drops, and no bubbles seen. Make sure fluid is keep above minimum cold line.
  16. Then place vehicle/tire back on ground, start engine and turning lock to lock 3 times holding at lock. Watch your fluid level. If level drops below minimum, stop engine and add more ATF. Do not let level get to low, or air gets into lines. Keep bleeding (turning steering wheel), until no foam/bubbles seen in reservoir.
  17. Top to maximum cold line.
  18. Recheck level after driving.
  19. Repeat every 20K miles or sooner, just flushing. If kept regularly flushed, reservoir will not need removing again for cleaning.

To remove reservoir, I release clamps and reservoir from holder. Then hose will turn freely and I flip over reservoir pouring old fluid out.
01 LX470 power steering clean & flush 3-27-16 013.JPG

001.JPG

After removing reservoir. I rinse inside of reservoir with a de-greaser. Like dish soap, simple green or whatever degreaser I've around. I then place reservoir into jug (old antifreeze jug I cut top off of), pour in 100% industrial strength Simple Green, and submerging reservoir solution. I let soak overnight, shaking jug now and then. A Sonic cleaner speed up process. Then spray out reservoir with garden hose. I keep re-submerging in Simple Green and spraying inside reservoir with water to rinsing, as many times as it takes to get gunk out of screen and bottom of reservoir. Note: Do not reinstall until completely dry.

Look close, you can see screen inside reservoir. It must be clean.
026.JPG

Here you see: Return hose run to 1qt plastic milk bottle. Which, makes nice catch can. Clear hose connected to return nipple of reservoir, is just a temp plug for when refilling. PCV hose (Ventilation) just happens to be in this picture, which is for the 00-up.
Reservoir & hoses (6).JPEG

To stop seepage from hoses at reservoir, vane pump or where return line attaches to hard line. Best is to replace hoses, using OEM hoses and clamps. But we can just doctor hoses and clamps as temporary solution. See clamp and hose examples in post #7. Which is temporary IMHO, buts works most of the time. Best, is to replace hose or hoses and use OEM clamps.

If you don't have or can't use, OEM clamps. Then, best clamp is fuel line hose clamps. Worst to use is typical worm gear clamps. They don't give a perfect seal and they cut into hose.

98-02 OEM return line is not available from Toyota separate from the costly HP line assemble. So I use 29" of 3/8"ID transmission cooler line from Advance Auto, which is a very tight fit. The 3/8" cooler line will not come back off easy. Care must be taken when removing factory or aftermarket hoses from reservoir, due to risk of breaking the reservoir male nipple. Basically do not pull hoses off. Just, push/pry off from back end work very well

When temporary clamping old hose(s), to stop weeping rather than replacing hoses. I move factory clamp to just outside the end of male nipple tip (ball at end). Then place new ASS screw or fuel clamp just to inside of male nipple tip seems to work okay. But as stated, Fuel line clamps is best practice for aftermarket hose when OEM clamps won't fit due to some smaller walled (OD) hose. Tighten, but not over tighten.

Nothing beats, new factory hoses and the OEM clamps (new or used).
In 03-07, return and suction hoses are available from Toyota. In 98-02 return hose/line is not sold separate from main HP/LP line assembly. In those we replace hoses with, 3/8" transmission cooler hose so save on parts cost & time.

004.JPG

Last edited:
yeah Mine is pretty stained also, i think i will try simple green degreaser since i have some on hand. I have never changed mine. I just changed my water pump timing belt and alternator. Now time to change ps fluid and clean the reservoir as best i can, i will post pics.

Cleaned the screen well with the brake cleaner. Sprayed it in shook it up and rinsed whith water hose spray nozzle. Tools i used and synthetic transmission fluid. Turns a lot smoother i still hear a whining from the ps pump, i think it will go away once i flush it a few more times. thanks for the write up.

IMG_1548 clean screen.jpg

IMG_1550 flush parts.jpg

IMG_1551 PS resevoir flush setup.jpg

IMG_1552 PS fluid.jpg

IMG_1556 august odomoter.jpg

Nice job, your screen looks good.

I rinse & soaked in most any de-greaser (purple power, simple green, dish soap, hot soapy water, high pressure water to raise).

Almost always any Vane pump whining, gets better with flushing. I've done second flush, then third with M1 ATF within only a few hundred miles, if fluid blacken quickly. Third one was the money flush, that made whining go away.

I also changed my clamps from factory to all stainless steel screw clamps to stop or slow leaks "temporarily". Kept tightening a little at a time, as I was concerned I'd break nipples if over tightened. I've found the OEM clamps work just fine on replacement 3/8" return line, where OD large enough. Where OEM clamp not tight, I use fuel hose clamps. The only time a double clamp, is temporary, until I've new hoses(s).

Note: Be carefully with purple power it will damage painted surfaces like that of wheels, body & engine bay. I've been using old Simple green to rinse out oil, than 100% fresh soaking overnight or place in sonic cleaner to speed up..

Here is some pictures of camps. Note: On 98-02 I use, 29" X 3/8"ID transmission cooler line with fuel line clamp (OEM clamps best when OD large enough). The 03-07, return line is available from Toyota. I've found the OEM clamps work just fine. The only time a double clamp, is temporary, just until I've new hoses(s).

Notice return hose (smaller), has fuel line clamp. The old hard suction hose, is temporarily double clamped. Using typical screw clamp. I do not use the typical screw clamp on good hoses. As they don't give even pressure and they cut into rubber.
Power Steering Hose Reclamp (3).JPG
Again this is temporary clamping, until new hoses and OEM clamps installed.
Power Steering Hose Reclamp (3).JPG

3/8" transmission cooler hose.
3-8th coolant hose. Use as return..JPG

Bend this retainer out a little, to remove reservoir.

01 LX470 power steering clean & flush 3-27-16 013.JPG

Fill to cold MAX/MIN hot line. When fluid cold.
Power steering reservoir 5-22-17 (2).JPG

Last edited:
The one (270K miles) I'm working on today has leaky steering rack as well as hose ends at reservoir. It looks as if not flushed ever. Before resealing or replace rack, I'm going to flush and add seal modifier. I'm thiking this will stop leaks and save me some time & money. Mean time I'll replace bushing with poly's to tightens up rack.

Edited: Worked well, leaks stop & pump sounds good!

Last edited:
Same here. My PS also gets darker quickly, makes me wonder how much gunk is the system. I have drain and refill several time - trying to slowly dissolves the gunk. I then cleaned the reservoir and flushed out the whole fluid once. After a few thousand miles, the current fluid now is red (instead of completely black), but still dark. I do feel that I am making some progress in the right direction. I should flush it completely again soon.

Thanks for sharing. Glad I am not the only person who is having PS system flushed several time.

Reactions: KTP
That's why I'm going to shorten intervals between flushing of PS. Looking for that sweet spot when system is total cleaned, where it then just starts to turn black.

I'm betting most leaky system can be avoid, and in some case reversed.

Last edited:
To stop seepage from hoses at reservoir:

I clamp with 1/2" on top (return) line & 5/8" on bottom line IIRC, all stainless steel (ASS) screw clamps. If to large they're capable of exerting to much pressure, which you'd risk breaking the reservoir male nipple. If to small you'll not get enough pressure to stop seepage. So start small and work up.

Move factory clamp to just outside the end of male nipple tip (ball at end). Put your new ASS screw clamp just to inside of male nipple tip. Tighten, but not to tight. Come back every 50 miles or so, an retighten just a little bit, until seepage stops. By using both old and new clamps, I feel it helps create better seal at nipples tip around the ball at the end where seal is needed.

I edited OP to included this clamping procedure, I and many others have used.:banana:

I was just about to send a PM to 01 for this. Thanks Plano for finding it.

The hardest part of getting my reservoir clean was the removing the black gunk from the screen. I was afraid to try and brush it with anything, so I ended up letting it soak in Mineral Spirits (in my parts washer). I then used compressed air to dislodge the build up from the screen.

Filled reservoir with M/S sloshed it around, poured it out, blasted with air, repeated. Finally got it pretty clean. I was amazed at how much of the screen was coated (blocked some places) with the residue.

Just curious, if I want to change the PS hoses (not the pressure lines)- what size and length hoses do I need? Any particular type/rating of rubber will last the longest?

Why do these systems get so contaminated?

Good question.

Pressure, heat and combination of materials used in the system... IDK. But I do know the biggest reason is they're just not flush enough.

After a few flushing's with synthetic ATF it's better, but still get dirty fast. I'm going to flush every other oil change and see how that works out.

Just curious, if I want to change the PS hoses (not the pressure lines)- what size and length hoses do I need? Any particular type/rating of rubber will last the longest?
IDK, but I'd use OEM hose if one had to be replaced.

Last edited:
Contaminated: Drawing from my experience as an Ocean engineer where lots of hydraulics are in play, it's not uncommon for hydraulic fluid to become contaminated with living organisms (fungus, etc.) as well as water.

The mil-spec fluid is designed to mitigate, but not cure, that phenomena (at least back then....25 yrs ago). Thus the need for scheduled drain, clean, flush, etc for those systems.

Probably occurs in our auto fluids as well, especially considering the length of time between services (years). I have not researched this application, but it would be interesting to see what a lab analysis shows (similar to what several here on mud do w. engine oil).

Mine looks clean, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to flush it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom