WTB - locked trail-prepped 80 series in AZ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

snorkels were actually developed for dry dusty environs to raise the intake to a higher less dusty place, deep water crossings were just an unintended bonus from the product.

Yes/no/maybe, early snorkels were used on submarines, tanks, etc, mostly for water? Any benefit is largely dependent on rig design, needs.

On some rigs, like some mini, runners, etc, the intake draws from the core support, headlight area. When fording, pushing a bow wave, can drive water right into the intake. In this case a snorkel or relocating the intake is crucial for fording.

On the '80, the intake is very well designed. It draws from the top of a box formed by the right fender and fender well. From a water drawn into the intake perspective, if properly driven, it can ford to the door handles, pushing a bow wave taller and/or onto the hood. On my rig that is over 4 feet. At that depth you are seriously risking the rig and is deeper than most will do.

At that depth lots of other things will flood on a stock rig. All of the breathers are under water, so the diffs, trans, transfer, actuators, etc, will flood, not good. The distributor will drown, killing the motor, once stopped, the interior will quickly fill. This causes lots of fun, electronic boxes, connectors, etc, to clean, preserve, to avoid/reduce future electric problems, etc. So if deep fording is needed, there are lots of things to address before a snorkel comes into the picture.

Dust load can be a problem on some rigs. A couple of '100 owners, who run them hard, have commented that they have to carry extra air filters or cleaning kits on long wheeling trips, because they become restricted. Don't know how restriction is being determined, if it is really need, but if true, would be disappointing after the great job Toyota did on the '80 system.

A snorkel will slightly reduce dust intake, we have documented this several times. But, the '80 has a well designed cyclonic air filter, has a tuna can that holds ~a cup of dirt that would otherwise be in the element. The filter element has a large filtering area, holds a huge amount of debris, so will go a very long time before needing to be cleaned.

On the '80, there are a couple of slight advantages: The stock intake draws from the coolest spot under the hood, but a snorkel, drawing outside air is slightly cooler. Maybe good for a HP or two? They scream "expo rig", even louder than a displayed hi-lift, great bling, guaranteed to bring attention, questions from the masses!:hillbilly:

Annndd in true CSC fashion, this thread is fully hi-jacked. :lol:

Annndd in true CSC fashion, this thread is fully hi-jacked. :lol:

Don't mess with tradition!:hillbilly:

In my observation dorkels require lots of attention, fondling, polishing. Nothing like waiting for the dorkel polishing to get done to start a trail run!:lol:
dorkel.jpg

My thoughts on buying an '80: If you truly don't have a place to work on it, are you sure you want an older rig? The '80 is stout, reliable, but will require maintenance, especially when wheeled.

My first choice would be a '96 or '97. I prefer OBD2 rigs, the true '95 is also OBD2, but is not for emissions testing. For some it isn't a big deal, but I prefer emissions to be as easy as possible. The early rigs get the under hood & under the rig visual inspection, tail pipe sniff, cap, vapor tests, etc. The '96 & '97 rigs only get the computer plug in and cap test, so as long as the ECU is happy and the cap seals, it is good to go. If they don't look, there is less/no chance of questions about mods, etc.

The A/C is marginal when compared to newer SUV's with rear air, etc. IMHO it is adequate for the front seats in desert conditions. The further back in the rig your passengers sit, the higher the chance of whining in hot conditions. AZ has tons of solar gain, so this is one of the reasons that a light color is preferable and white is the "official color".:hillbilly:

Clean specimens are becoming more rare everyday, so I wouldn't pass on a clean stock rig. Most mods, lift, bumpers, etc, are relatively simple, quick to install, so likely can "beg/barrow/barter" shop space or get them installed at a good price. IMHO it is better to build what you want/"need", than to buy something and end up changing some or most of it as you learn what you want?

On the 4+ trails thing. For the most part, this is easy, well documented, doesn't require much in the way of mods for most trails. But the '80 is a big, top heavy, station wagon, so, depending on how you feel about knocking off a hunk of roof, quarter, etc, will likely be denied on some tight obstacles/lines. This is the exception, on most trails it isn't an issue.

Last edited:
I would imagine the OBDII rigs only need to pass emissions once every two years, the older trucks have to go yearly.

I would imagine the OBDII rigs only need to pass emissions once every two years, the older trucks have to go yearly.

True.

I like that my 93 is OBD1. I just tell the inspector "it's Full Time 4wd and OBD1" so they don't put you on the rolling/mph machine and they can't plug into your port. All they have done since I've owned mine is look under the hood, check gas cap, exhaust sniff and send me on my way. Emissions is a breeze.

My thoughts on buying an '80: If you truly don't have a place to work on it, are you sure you want an older rig? The '80 is stout, reliable, but will require maintenance, especially when wheeled.

My first choice would be a '96 or '97. I prefer OBD2 rigs, the true '95 is also OBD2, but is not for emissions testing. For some it isn't a big deal, but I prefer emissions to be as easy as possible. The early rigs get the under hood & under the rig visual inspection, tail pipe sniff, cap, vapor tests, etc. The '96 & '97 rigs only get the computer plug in and cap test, so as long as the ECU is happy and the cap seals, it is good to go. If they don't look, there is less/no chance of questions about mods, etc.

The A/C is marginal when compared to newer SUV's with rear air, etc. IMHO it is adequate for the front seats in desert conditions. The further back in the rig your passengers sit, the higher the chance of whining in hot conditions. AZ has tons of solar gain, so this is one of the reasons that a light color is preferable and white is the "official color".:hillbilly:

Clean specimens are becoming more rare everyday, so I wouldn't pass on a clean stock rig. Most mods, lift, bumpers, etc, are relatively simple, quick to install, so likely can "beg/barrow/barter" shop space or get them installed at a good price. IMHO it is better to build what you want/"need", than to buy something and end up changing some or most of it as you learn what you want?

On the 4+ trails thing. For the most part, this is easy, well documented, doesn't require much in the way of mods for most trails. But the '80 is a big, top heavy, station wagon, so, depending on how you feel about knocking off a hunk of roof, quarter, etc, will likely be denied on some tight obstacles/lines. This is the exception, on most trails it isn't an issue.

Good advice right there! I built and wheeled a 60 for a while. I guess I am just moving up. If you click my handle you can find old posts by me with pics and references to "Wallace." That was my 60. Got some nice actions shots of it in FourWheeler magazine too. I should dig up those photos and post them.

I like that my 93 is OBD1. I just tell the inspector "it's Full Time 4wd and OBD1" so they don't put you on the rolling/mph machine and they can't plug into your port. All they have done since I've owned mine is look under the hood, check gas cap, exhaust sniff and send me on my way. Emissions is a breeze.

Emissions isnt state-wide is it? I live in North Scottsdale 85266 and I havent heard/done a thing about it and I have both a 2010 BMW and a 1929 Ford Roadster on the road here.

... I built and wheeled a 60 for a while. ...

Having experience with lifting and working on a '60, my guess is you will find the '80 easier and cheaper to lift and most things easier to work on!:cool:

Emissions isnt state-wide is it? I live in North Scottsdale 85266 and I havent heard/done a thing about it and I have both a 2010 BMW and a 1929 Ford Roadster on the road here.

County, Maricopa and I believe Pima, but not sure about that one. Might even be more, but I thought all metro cities were included.

Mine is for sale. Check my sig line for a full rundown of the rig. Click on the "94 FZJ80".

I think you tried this a few years ago. Im going to say it again: Dont do it!!;)

But really I hope it works out good for you man, Id even be tempted to pick it up for the wife if I didnt live in Alabama now!:doh:

Check the next time you pay your registeration on the 2010. Your paying for it you just a pass for the first five years. Anything older than 67 isn't required to go thru emissions. But you are right other than the Phoenix and Tucson areas are emission free.

Wishful thinking, it is easier than admitting that chicks do dig snorkels. Chicks even dig Jeeps if they have a snorkel. :clap:

Chicks dig heeps, adding a dorkel makes them the ultimate chick magnet.

I think you tried this a few years ago. Im going to say it again: Dont do it!!;)

But really I hope it works out good for you man, Id even be tempted to pick it up for the wife if I didnt live in Alabama now!:doh:

I thought about it a couple years ago and changed my mind. This time it's going. I don't use it and need to clear off debt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom