WTB Defender 110 TDI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone know where I could get one? Yes I do love Cruisers.. but I've been looking for the longest time for a '85 4Runner or possibly a FJ/HJ45 or 47.. as I want a convertible 4x4 that I could take the family and dog out in... Thought possibly about a BJ/HJ60 or later gen 4Runner and cutting the top off.. but I like the idea of having a removable hardtop...

I understand importation could be an issue.. but it must be easier than trying to import a 89 BJ74 (never imported to states).. I know the Defender 110 was never importated to the US, but the Defender 90 was... Not sure if their Diesels were imported or not.. but not too worried about that..

Many thanks in advance...

Where are you out of? There's a dealership in Needham, MA that deals in quite a few Defenders. I'll try and get the name. FYI They tend to get top dollar, though.

Try D-90.com - there is a sale section in the forum

There was a yellow one for sale local here in Charleston a while back. I checked it out for a friend. Turns out it was a defender 110 body and chassis built on an older 110 series frame. Apparently this is very common but can cause some issues with registration and insurance. Id be sure to check to see if this is the case if you buy one on ebay. If this is too chatty feel free to delete.

http://www.landroversforsale.com/ is another resource too. Looks like one is about to be available.

As mentioned, a small number of 110's were brought into the States.

I had a D-90 and while it was a fun and capable truck, it had all of the usual Rover issues and more. A D-110 will be the same way. No where near the reliability of a Cruiser.

Also, worth mentioning, that many of the D-110's around are grey market and have title / VIN issues. They were imported illegally and are a mess once you have to deal with your DMV. TTFWIW.

They are out there, but you'd better have a BIG bank account. I had the chance to drive one a few weeks ago.

As mentioned above, they are out there but spendy. All of the NAS (North American Spec) 110's were white with an exo-cage. They are each individually numbered 1-500. It is the only vehicle that I know of that actually went up in value as you drove it off the lot. You could have bought it new in 1993 for $47,000. Also, they were all gassers, none were diesels. I have seen one converted to diesel using the Land Rover TD5.
All the other 110's are "grey" market vehicles. They are 110 bodies sitting on 109 frames or they slipped through the cracks. Again, registering and titling could be difficult where you live.

FWIW I have an '86 4Runner that I'll sell ya. Runs great, no rust, a few dings here and there but it has been my daily driver for the past year. Only has 180K miles. Throw a SAS under there and you are ready. PM if you are interested. Located in Colorado.

Also, if you are looking for something a little different, check this out on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...016QQitemZ260090975614QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It's even diesel! Get a windshield frame and a canvas top made for it and you are golden.

http://www.mountainrovers.com/

This guy had some 110s the last time I was through that way. I know he had some diesels too. but inventory changes.

FYI-

The 500 110's that were sold in the USA in 1992 were V8 gas trucks, NOT TDI units...

whatever you do stay away from terry @ mountain rovers. that guy is a crook! try tidewater rovers, he has a camel trophy yellow 110 tdi , its nice. he seems honest.

I just sold mine a couple months ago.....was the best 4x4 i have owned to date....mine had a 2.8 tgv tdi in it.....TONS of power....but sadly in N/A the Deisel 110 is not very well populated...

and your asking why i sold i......well someone made me an offer

"I COULD NOT REFUSE"

DriversLF2.jpg

best of luck in your search

Gord

I had a 97 D-90 in Arlys blue................I can't tell you how much I loved that thing. I flew into Denver and drove it back to Oregon, man it was a blast of a drive in the fall. The colors were beautiful that time of year.

Leaked water like crazy but was sweet!

My neighbor is the shop foreman for Land Rover of Portland, I will ask him for leads.

Good luck looking.

Last edited:
There's a gasser down the street from me for $46K. It's a nice looking 110 with lots of recent "up to speed" work. Personally, after owning two Land Rovers, I'm finished with British autos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom